The Matrix: Resurrections (2021)

Started by Shasvre, Jan 24, 2011, 03:00:52 PM

Author
The Matrix: Resurrections (2021) (Read 52,272 times)

Kradan

Kradan

Shouldn't heads turn into horrible messes of skin and muscle tissue without skulls though ?

[cancerblack]

Now he's just going to quote you saying "horrible mess" and say the film is that, too.

Kradan

Kradan

It won't be the first time somebody uses my own words against me

[cancerblack]

I like your sig btw

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 21, 2022, 07:14:45 AM
Shouldn't heads turn into horrible messes of skin and muscle tissue without skulls though ?
The film was a horrible mess.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 21, 2022, 07:37:48 AM
Now he's just going to quote you saying "horrible mess" and say the film is that, too.
Oops.

[cancerblack]

The thing is, it wasn't horrible or a mess, if you've seen even just the first one. You may have been filtered though.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 22, 2022, 08:46:15 AM
The thing is, it wasn't horrible or a mess, if you've seen even just the first one. You may have been filtered though.
I've seen the original three, I even rewatched them in 4K fairly recently before the new one came out. I even like the second and third one.

But the 4th one felt very low-budget in comparison, especially when it resorted to 90s TV movie "slow-mo" blur effects. The action lacked stakes, scope, and scale, Keanu Reeves and Carrie Ann Moss seemed bored to be there, the "Agent Smith" thing was pointless and went nowhere (and was especially egregious given how well it was settled in the third movie, Smith absolutely did not need to come back in a sequel).

The meta references very nearly ruined the movie for me, and gone were the philosophical ideas present in the first three movies. The meta stuff didn't even make sense - it was showing scenes directly from the first movie, and playing it off as being "from Neo's video game" or something... except it was showing scenes Neo wasn't present for in the first movie (the opening scene with Trinity fighting the cops, for example) and would have no knowledge of, let alone be able to recreate exactly the way it happened in the first movie. Likewise, when it was showing actual honest to god footage from the first movie, how would Neo think to recreate footage *exactly* the way the audience saw it in the movie. It was incredibly lazy.

If you (or others) enjoyed the movie, then that's awesome. I'm not one to undermine another person's enjoyment. I *wanted* to like this movie, I was super hyped for another Matrix movies and the possibilities it could offer. What we got just totally fell flat for me.

Kradan

Kradan

Fair enough

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I can see why it would not be liked. 

And I thought they mentioned that the Trinity thing was off at the beginning because it wasn't SWAT that went after her in the original, but regular patrolmen.  I think that was Neo's interpretation of the events as told to him by Trinity sometime offscreen. 

It takes a little bit of head magic, but I thought most was explainable enough away to not bother me.  Even the meta references struck me as what this generations  take on philosophy was. 

I will be interested to see if over time if this movie doesn't gain somewhat of a cult following and a better score by viewers as time goes by. 

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 22, 2022, 09:34:51 PM
I was super hyped for another Matrix movies and the possibilities it could offer.

The movie may have been very intentionally giving you the middle finger.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 22, 2022, 10:19:40 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 22, 2022, 09:34:52 PM
I was super hyped for another Matrix movies and the possibilities it could offer.

[cancerblack]

Yes, that one.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 22, 2022, 10:19:39 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 22, 2022, 09:34:51 PM

Hold up, so the movie was directly targeting the fans of the prior movies and those looking forward to a new one, and deliberately telling them to f**k themselves?

And this somehow makes the movie... good?

A movie that wouldn't exist without the success and popularity of the prior movies?

lolwut

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 22, 2022, 11:09:50 PM
A movie that wouldn't exist without the success and popularity of the prior movies?

And ? So what ?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 23, 2022, 12:16:48 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 22, 2022, 11:09:50 PM

And ? So what ?
Telling your own fanbase to "get f**ked" is called biting the hand that feeds you, and tends to not go over great with the audience that made the franchise successful.
There's probably a reason why the 4th movie is the lowest rated in the series on IMDb by a full point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed