How I'd do Alien V

Started by FatStu, Sep 07, 2020, 12:21:05 AM

Author
How I'd do Alien V (Read 21,702 times)

FatStu

FatStu

It would pick up where Aliens left off. We see the Sulaco found and Ripley taken away where she's put into a sensory deprivation tank and is fed psychotropic drugs in order to find out information about the Xenomorph. Under hypnosis she hallucinates the events of Alien 3 and Resurrection.

Satisfied they have the information they need - the company free her and she's reunited with Newt and Hicks. Ripley and Hicks marry and officially adopt Newt.

Cut forward to 30 years later. Newt has grown up to become a Colonial Marine Special Ops Agent and manages to decode a secret transmission where the inhabitants of an orbital city are menaced by an Alien. Against all advice she heads out there to help the besieged residents - wanting to settle the score for the death of her biological family all those years ago. Bishop has had his consciousness transferred into an AI system which Newt can access with a headset or a wristwatch. He helps her in her quest.

When Ripley and Hicks find out what's going on, they head out to assist.

Rough - but you get the general idea.

No big revelations or reveals, medium budget - just a kick ass Alien adventure. Just under two hours. One Alien only.

Call it "The Alien".

Bang. Done.

SM

SM

Couldn't they just ask Ripley about the Alien?  She's very forthcoming in Aliens.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Or Bishop?  He dissected a facehugger (and probably analyzed the live ones to some extent) then he personally witnessed the queen fighting Ripley.  Hicks saw the interior of the nest, fought dozens of soldiers and tangled with a live facehugger.

But Newt probably took the cake since she spent upwards of two months (?) witnessing the fall of Hadley's, starting with the discovery of the derelict all the way to the final boss fight at the very end.

All of them were intel goldmines, not just Ripley.

FatStu

FatStu

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 07, 2020, 01:03:35 AM
Or Bishop?  He dissected a facehugger (and probably analyzed the live ones to some extent) then he personally witnessed the queen fighting Ripley.  Hicks saw the interior the nest, fought dozens of soldiers and tangled with a live facehugger.

But Newt probably took the cake since she spent upwards of two months (?) witnessing the fall of Hadley's, starting with the discovery of the derelict all the way to the final boss fight at the very end.

All of them were intel goldmines, not just Ripley.

Quote from: SM on Sep 07, 2020, 12:36:01 AM
Couldn't they just ask Ripley about the Alien?  She's very forthcoming in Aliens.

Erm.. yeah, maybe. It's just an excuse to retcon away the events of 3 and Resurrection. Couldn't think of a better way to do it.

Kradan

Kradan

New episode of show "Fans who can't get over Newt and Hicks deaths" is here!

Seriously, any story that tries to say "Alien 3 was a dream" loses me at that exact moment. Better just ignoring it - if you don't like it so much why still acknowledge its existence at all?

And I'm not sure that

Quote from: FatStu on Sep 07, 2020, 12:21:05 AM
just a kick ass Alien adventure

which IMO sounds terribly as Aliens rehash and excuse for some "shot 'em all" Alien action because Newt becomes a Colonial Marine and Ripley & Hicks are here to help too would be any better than Alien 3 we eventually got. And I think Newt wouldn't want to deal with Aliens at all. Remember Aliens - Cameron specifically used 57-year gap so Ripley was stripped from everything familiar to her, didn't have any relatives who'd wait for her so she didn't have anything to lose. Newt on the other hand in such scenario has someone waiting for her and has someone to lose

FatStu

FatStu

Quote from: Kradan on Sep 07, 2020, 02:29:10 PM
New episode of show "Fans who can't get over Newt and Hicks deaths" is here!

Seriously, any story that tries to say "Alien 3 was a dream" loses me at that exact moment. Better just ignoring it - if you don't like it so much why still acknowledge its existence at all?

And I'm not sure that

Quote from: FatStu on Sep 07, 2020, 12:21:05 AM
just a kick ass Alien adventure

which IMO sounds terribly as Aliens rehash and excuse for some "shot 'em all" Alien action because Newt becomes a Colonial Marine and Ripley & Hicks are here to help too would be any better than Alien 3 we eventually got. And I think Newt wouldn't want to deal with Aliens at all. Remember Aliens - Cameron specifically used 57-year gap so Ripley was stripped from everything familiar to her, didn't have any relatives who'd wait for her so she didn't have anything to lose. Newt on the other hand in such scenario has someone waiting for her and has someone to lose

New episode of "Guy who likes to have a go at strangers on the internet - for having an idea they don't like" is here!

Sorry man, I didn't realise that it's only your ideas and opinions that matter in here. I foolishly thought I could just shoot the breeze with fellow fans of something I quite like.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: FatStu on Sep 07, 2020, 05:47:10 PMSorry man, I didn't realise that it's only your ideas and opinions that matter in here. I foolishly thought I could just shoot the breeze with fellow fans of something I quite like.

You'll have to forgive the Alien 3 fans, they tend to get awful tetchy after having to constantly defend their film for the last 30ish years. :)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd just reboot the franchise entirely at this point. 

Ignore everything.  Restart with Alien/Aliens

Have the universe open up to include differnet factions of humans than just Marines/WY, include the engineers eventually, maybe bring in the fake engineers (big bald blue guys) in as a precursor to their arrival, have the Aliens evolve past the point of control by any party. 

DON'T DWELL SO MUCH ON PAST BULLSHIT AND PROGRESS THE STORY FORWARD.  This is my main pet peeve of the franchise right now.  You have a bunch of writers for the movies OBSESSED with telling every story hinted at in the first two films.  Now you have two movies set in the series past that absolutely push the narrative............nowhere.  They are just spinning wheels.  Lets say the next movie is released and explains how the Engineer dreadnought crashlands on LV426................WOW what an amazing reveal.  A story note that does absolutely nothing for the franchises future since we know no Aliens were around in between Alien 3 and Resurrection because the Jockeyship got nuked in Aliens.

The universe of Alien should be gigantic, humanity is expanding into the galaxy......and we get the same small slice stories ALL THE DAMN TIME.  After the Aliens are defeated for the 7th or 8th time right before they spread out and do damage.............they stop being a threat.  Even directors not interested in Cameron's storytelling have turned them into Cameron's space bugs.  They are always squashed by the hero. 

I've said it a hundred times, its time to either bury the franchise or reboot it.   

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 07, 2020, 08:24:58 PM
Have the universe open up to include differnet factions of humans than just Marines/WY

This please. Obviously WY would have some sort of role to play in the potential Covenant sequel, since the Covenant is their ship, and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing one more story set post-Alien 3 dealing with Weyland-Yutani's collapse, but otherwise? I want to see some different mega-corporations and factions with totally different agendas at play. Seegson's presence gave Alien: Isolation a bit of a different flavor, which I appreciated (and I thought the sort of corporate warfare between Seegson and WY going on behind the scenes in The Cold Forge was very interesting), and one of the things that I think Alien: Resurrection got very right in their new timeframe was squashing the Company and making it a relic of the past in favor of a totally new government/corporate infrastructure in the galaxy, with the USM serving as our new focal point in this restructured world.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I always liked the early comics take of the Government/WY relationship.  Corporations were powerful, until they challenged the government directly. 

Orona said something like: I'm government and your corporate, my hammer is bigger and I'll play hell whacking you with it.

As a kind of threat letting the corporations know that they had enough firepower and had insulated themselves enough that they could take down a big corporation if it came into conflict with them. 

Some people like the idea of WY being in control of the government, but given Aliens I don't think this is the case.  No need to be subversive if you can just do what you want anyways. 

I don't necessarily want WY to go away, but every corporation has rivals, and the government is more than just one entity.  I want to see the human universe expand. 

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

From the sound of things, Alex White's next novel is definitely going to be digging into some of that government/corporate relationship. Brand new corporations (with no mention of Weyland-Yutani to be seen), the Iranian and American government governments at one another's throats, etc. Given the quality of writing in White's The Cold Forge, which I would say is not just the best Alien novel, but also one of the best pieces of media tie-in fiction that I've read, I am very much excited to see what they are going to do with into Charybdis when it releases next year.

Quote"Shy" Hunt and the tech team from McAllen Integrations thought they'd have an easy job--set up environmental systems for the brand new Hasanova Data Solutions colony, built on the abandoned ruins of a complex known as "Charybdis." There are just two problems: the colony belongs to the Iranian state, so diplomacy is strained at best, and the complex is located above a series of hidden caves that contain deadly secrets. When a bizarre ship lands on a nearby island, one of the workers is attacked by a taloned creature, and trust evaporates between the Iranians and Americans. The McAllen Integrations crew are imprisoned, accused as spies, but manage to send out a distress signal... to the Colonial Marines.

FatStu

FatStu

Hmm. Some interesting ideas but for me, Aliens has always been Ripleys story. So far at least. I get that 3 and Resurrection have their fans... But I always disliked how the ending of Aliens was undone. If it were up to me I'd take it back to that point somehow. And from there tell the story of an older Ripley who functions as more of a supporting character - with Newt being the main focus of the story. I think an adult Newt could be very interesting and compelling.

As for the alien itself - I don't think there's anywhere else to take it. So rather than try and reinvent the wheel - I think it should just be a kickass monster movie. This wouldn't be a film you see for universe building or franchise padding - just a lean no frills thrill machine.This would be a film to scare, shock and entertain. Medium budget, 1 hour 45 min run time...

Supporting roles played by actors like William Sadler, Michael Ironside, Ernie Hudson. Just a good, decent and honest genre movie.

City in space, Alien gets loose, Newt goes to help, teams up with the residents to defeat the threat.

that'll do me

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is that where she finds the predators' time machine?

SM

SM

QuoteSome people like the idea of WY being in control of the government, but given Aliens I don't think this is the case.  No need to be subversive if you can just do what you want anyways. 

Yep.  Some people just looked at it on very one dimensional surface level.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Haven't you had a hand in enlightening some of the professionals about that very subject?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed