Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 25, 2011, 11:25:20 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus (Read 28,555 times)

nendo

nendo

Quote from: Ash 937 on Feb 28, 2011, 04:47:12 AM
Predator 2 has a xenomorph skull in it but we don't call it an Alien film because its part of the Predator franchise.  Alien has a space jockey corpse in the film even though the film is clearly not about space jockeys.

With that logic, you can't call Prometheus an Alien film just because there is a dead space jockey in the movie.  If it's about jockeys, then its also the beginning of a new franchise and/or stand-alone film.

There is your logic right there.

Erm Not realy. the space jockey in the first part is a massive part of the story. Just because it doesn't feature in it that long doesn't mean its not important to the plot of the story.

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

Maybe the jockeys cockpit where it is sat looking through some sort of telescope or navigation equipment in alien is actually linked to the "head " of the ship, it could be completely biomechanical all in one so to say, thats assuming the giant head is to do with the jockey and not the human side of the plot, it would seem more technologically feasible then, i still think the jockey we see in prometheus will be a different one from what we see in alien, that way scott dosent destroy the ambiguity and mystery too much surrounding it, and it remains shrouded still in partial mystery.

dandan

dandan

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Feb 28, 2011, 01:37:22 PM
Maybe the jockeys cockpit where it is sat looking through some sort of telescope or navigation equipment in alien is actually linked to the "head " of the ship, it could be completely biomechanical all in one so to say, thats assuming the giant head is to do with the jockey and not the human side of the plot, it would seem more technologically feasible then, i still think the jockey we see in prometheus will be a different one from what we see in alien, that way scott dosent destroy the ambiguity and mystery too much surrounding it, and it remains shrouded still in partial mystery.
the telescope could have also been looking at the nostromo as well ? did you ever seen the directors cut of alien where they get some kind of Alien message? could be something to do with that.

Bio Mech Hunter

Bio Mech Hunter

Quote from: nendo on Feb 28, 2011, 01:25:59 PM
Quote from: Ash 937 on Feb 28, 2011, 04:47:12 AM
Predator 2 has a xenomorph skull in it but we don't call it an Alien film because its part of the Predator franchise.  Alien has a space jockey corpse in the film even though the film is clearly not about space jockeys.

With that logic, you can't call Prometheus an Alien film just because there is a dead space jockey in the movie.  If it's about jockeys, then its also the beginning of a new franchise and/or stand-alone film.

There is your logic right there.

Erm Not realy. the space jockey in the first part is a massive part of the story. Just because it doesn't feature in it that long doesn't mean its not important to the plot of the story.
Quite true. Plot points and cameos shouldn't be confused.

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

Quote from: dandan on Feb 28, 2011, 05:43:56 PM
the telescope could have also been looking at the nostromo as well ? did you ever seen the directors cut of alien where they get some kind of Alien message? could be something to do with that.

Yes dandan buddy, ive got the blu ray, it's great , the signal is quite haunting i found, it will be interesting to see what a live space jockey will look like in prometheus, whether it actually gets out've the seat and moves around, or is in a "suit" as scott previously stated and kind of gets out've the navigators seat via the suit. i hope it's a creature grown into the seat. I think prometheus will be visually encaptivating, original and profoundly disturbing that will haunt the viewer. I really hope scott has got the uk 18 rating and the american R rating hes been asking for so it really pushes the boundaries, for me pg13/12a would hinder the film. Oh and if u look at the blu ray 6th dvd disc theres quite a fair bit of extra derelict deleted footage atleast 5 to 6 mins worth, you can see the jockey in the backround in one or two shots , worth looking at its not on the quadrilogy at all. blu ray exclusive.

SiL

SiL

the space jockey in the first part is a massive part of the story.
It's entirely disposable to the plot. To the point where it was disposed of by the producers, except Ridley had them build it anyway. The jockey, the derelict and the signal, while all cool and creepy, are little more than a macguffin to get to the core of the movie -- brain-sucking monster funtimes.

SM

SM

Quote from: RoaryUK on Feb 28, 2011, 09:37:41 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 28, 2011, 12:52:07 AM
They said ages ago it wasn't an Alien prequel.  What's changed?

...the thing is, Scott started it in the first place, and he DID say it would be a prequel "set 30 years before Alien" to quote his words ...personally after seeing Robin Hood, I've lost all interest anyway

And since saying it was a prequel, he's said that it isn't.

nendo

nendo

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2011, 09:53:58 PM
It's entirely disposable to the plot. To the point where it was disposed of by the producers, except Ridley had them build it anyway. The jockey, the derelict and the signal, while all cool and creepy, are little more than a macguffin to get to the core of the movie -- brain-sucking monster funtimes.

From my understanding the only reason they wanted to remove it was was due to budget and that was more fox trying to have control over the project.

dandan

dandan

Quote from: Wobblyboddle77 on Feb 28, 2011, 09:20:10 PM
Quote from: dandan on Feb 28, 2011, 05:43:56 PM

Yes dandan buddy, ive got the blu ray, it's great , the signal is quite haunting i found, it will be interesting to see what a live space jockey will look like in prometheus, whether it actually gets out've the seat and moves around, or is in a "suit" as scott previously stated and kind of gets out've the navigators seat via the suit. i hope it's a creature grown into the seat. I think prometheus will be visually encaptivating, original and profoundly disturbing that will haunt the viewer. I really hope scott has got the uk 18 rating and the american R rating hes been asking for so it really pushes the boundaries, for me pg13/12a would hinder the film. Oh and if u look at the blu ray 6th dvd disc theres quite a fair bit of extra derelict deleted footage atleast 5 to 6 mins worth, you can see the jockey in the backround in one or two shots , worth looking at its not on the quadrilogy at all. blu ray exclusive.
Yeah i have the Blue ray set aswell its Awesome which disk is it with the derelict spaceship i havent had time to watch them all ? and specially that letter in the booklet from Scott him self it got us all hyped for a prequel but now no one knows whats going on lol.. any way about the space jockey, i think it might be just a being its self ino know Scott said its a being in its suit but he said that when he announced the prequel so he could be lying to us or not wanting to go down that road.. who knows and i think it is a being because if you have watched and AVP 2 it shows  the space jockeys Skull at the begging if you look really close to the trophy room interesting stuff.

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

Its on disc 6 if i remember correctly buddy, i didn't know about the space jockeys skull at the start of a v p 2 and i've got the blu ray of that, i also have the unrated us version which is slightly different to the uk uncut blu ray so im gonna take a look see if i can spot it. Scott can be a bit ambiguous at times about things, im happier he has taken this route with prometheus, iam looking forward to seeing the planet environment and the space jockey. Will be awesome revisiting the zeta 2 reticulii system too, i wonder if we'll see the jockeys ship fly? and if they will keep the derelict chase sequence from alien harvest but change some elements. Will we see space jockeys contacting humans and communicating with them? will be awesome

SM

SM

Quote from: nendo on Feb 28, 2011, 11:19:10 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2011, 09:53:58 PM

From my understanding the only reason they wanted to remove it was was due to budget and that was more fox trying to have control over the project.

Yes it was for budgetary concerns, but the fact remains, they could've just gone into the that chamber - or possibly a much smaller more budget friendly chamber - and found a hole in the floor, without ever encountering the Jockey and it wouldn't have really changed anything.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2011, 12:28:41 AM
Yes it was for budgetary concerns, but the fact remains, they could've just gone into the that chamber - or possibly a much smaller more budget friendly chamber - and found a hole in the floor, without ever encountering the Jockey and it wouldn't have really changed anything.

Except for the fact that a central point of the Space Jockey scene is the discovery, by the crew, of the puzzling rupture in the creature's "chest".  This was a beautiful (and IMHO important) piece of foreshadowing.  And when done well, as it was in this movie, foreshadowing can help add that extra bit of layering and nuance...just one of the ingredients that can elevate a good movie into a great movie.

SM

SM

The Jockey is an awesome money shot. but it still wouldn't have changed anything plot wise if it was dropped.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: deuterium on Mar 01, 2011, 01:16:37 AM
Except for the fact that a central point of the Space Jockey scene is the discovery, by the crew, of the puzzling rupture in the creature's "chest". 
Which is in no way essential to the plot.

SM

SM

If anything you could argue it's a red flag.  And Riddles cut one of them out of the DC.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed