Alien: Isolation Coming To Android and iOS in December 2021!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 17, 2021, 03:59:55 PM

Author
Alien: Isolation Coming To Android and iOS in December 2021! (Read 18,013 times)

Engineer

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 25, 2021, 09:33:40 AM
Quote from: Engineer on Nov 23, 2021, 02:33:34 PM
I want to see blackout get ported to the switch

Yeah, I'd love that! Though I do think it played best on PC.

I'd still love to see a Blackout 2 with expanded distraction possibilities and ways to defeat Aliens by opening airlocks and etc.

They had it for PC?? Did it require a touchscreen?

Corporal Hicks

I used BlueStacks.

I wont be buying. Wont run on my S8. 

Engineer

I'm a tad surprised it's $15. I thought it would be the same price as the switch version...

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

[Reviewed on iPad Pro & iPhone 11 Pro Max. Review copy provided by Feral Interactive]

One of my favorite gaming memories is from when I was pretty young, early teens I think. I was on a long flight and had along with me a PSone, the slimmed down version of the original PlayStation which released in the year 2000. Attached to the console was a portable 5″ LCD screen and battery pack. I played through the original Resident Evil, and although the screen was smaller, with headphones on, that eerie experience had me occupied for most of that flight. 

Portable gaming devices have seen a bit of a resurgence as of late with the Nintendo Switch, and the upcoming Steam Deck, but there’s been one form of portable gaming that’s remained the most popular, and that’s mobile. Mobile games may have the biggest share of the gaming market, but among the gaming community, they’ve earned a negative reputation for being trivial money sinks. There are of course exceptions to this stereotype, but it’s easy to feel that too many go for the lowest common denominator of shallow time wasters. With our favorite franchises, we’ve faired a bit better on this front. Predators & AVP: Evolution by Angry Mob games, and the lite-sequel to Isolation, Alien: Blackout by D3 Go! were all solid games for mobile that didn’t push absurd micro-transactions as is so common among the platform today.

Mobile games didn’t always have this reputation though. When smartphones were first hitting the market and with tablets becoming popular shortly after, there were a number of games for them that were genuinely solid experiences. Dead Space and Infinity Blade come to mind, but the first time I remember being truly impressed with the potential of the platform was with an iOS tech demo called Epic Citadel. This short walking simulator showcased Unreal Engine 3 running on mobile hardware, and seeing it on the first generation of iPad back in 2010 showed that console quality experiences could be possible on a mobile device.  

I haven’t been impressed to that extent with anything else I’ve played on mobile devices since… until now.

Alien: Isolation (Feral Games' Mobile Port) Review

Captured on iPhone 11 Pro Max

Click here for the full review.

Corporal Hicks

I'm genuinely surprised it runs so well. But I'm so glad to hear it!

RidgeTop

Some screenshots I took with the iPhone 13 Pro Max. Just switched from the iPhone 11 Pro Max which was used for this review.

Prez

Thank you Ridgetop for the excellent review.

Engineer

I was already planning to buy this game again lol but now you've convinced me to get a compatible controller to use too!

RidgeTop

Quote from: Prez on Dec 15, 2021, 09:54:50 PM
Thank you Ridgetop for the excellent review.

Glad you liked it!

Quote from: Engineer on Dec 15, 2021, 10:07:51 PM
I was already planning to buy this game again lol but now you've convinced me to get a compatible controller to use too!

Yeah using a controller is the ideal way to play on mobile in my opinion.

Video version of the review is up:

Darkness

Don't you think it defeats the purpose of playing it on mobile if you have to use a controller? I'm currently playing a lot of old emulated games on my tablet, connecting my dualshock to it and trying to prop it up. It is a bit of a chore. I'm not saying touchscreen controls are great either. But if I was wanting to play this portable, the Switch version would be the one to get.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Darkness on Dec 16, 2021, 10:26:07 AM
Don't you think it defeats the purpose of playing it on mobile if you have to use a controller? I'm currently playing a lot of old emulated games on my tablet, connecting my dualshock to it and trying to prop it up. It is a bit of a chore. I'm not saying touchscreen controls are great either. But if I was wanting to play this portable, the Switch version would be the one to get.

I haven't played the Switch port myself but from what I've seen it's really well done.

I think it depends on the situation really. With iOS, as long as a controller is synced, reconnecting it is a simple as turning it back on. Just like people like to dock their Switch or take it on the go, part of a tablet's appeal is the versatility. More people are using iPads like laptops and having those higher quality gaming experiences available is great I think. You also see more smart phones having pretty large screens and bridging that gap between phone and tablet. I would definitely recommend a portable tablet stand or kickstand case if propping it up is a pain. The touch controls here do work really well though, so it's not like the experience is lacking without a controller, I just found it more ideal with one for longer play sessions.

I also wish more companies would support emulation of older games on mobile devices officially. There's a gold mine of older catalog titles that would do well.

Engineer

I have a switch, but technically it's not really mine... it's my two sons' system really.

I leave for work trips a lot, and they'd kill me if I took their switch with me lol plus, I already bring my phone on work trips, so at most, I'd just be bringing along a controller. That saves some space; not much, but every little bit counts with overpacked suitcases.

RidgeTop

From TouchArcade:

"After how good the Switch port is, I expected Alien: Isolation on iOS to be very good given Feral Interactive handled both, but I didn't expect it to be this good."

"If you've not played Alien: Isolation before, the mobile version is phenomenal. It isn't just a good value proposition with all DLC included at the low asking price of $14.99 compared to other platforms, but it looks and runs brilliantly even compared to the Xbox and PS4 versions. I know Feral Interactive is capable of miracle mobile conversions, but this Alien: Isolation is on a whole other level."

"Alien: Isolation feels like it has no business running on a tiny device like the iPhone. And not just running, but running near flawlessly at a nice crisp resolution. Sure, it may be a 7+ year old game, and mobile hardware of today is very powerful, but it's still majorly impressive seeing it in action. And yes, it does feel pretty miraculous."

Kradan

Corporal Hicks

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed