Legendary Encounters: Predator

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 23, 2015, 02:26:43 PM

Author
Legendary Encounters: Predator (Read 20,777 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 15, 2021, 07:49:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0oqyYirPOY

Wow, that reviewer comes off as incredibly intelligent and sophisticated!

Kailem

Kailem

Whoever did this waited until late last night, made that video by hand, and then got by the AVPG guys to post it. Maybe you oughta give him a job, put him on the payroll.

Glad to hear you've been enjoying it Voodoo, and congrats on the video! It really is such a great game. And you got the exclusive mat too! I can imagine that must have cost a fair bit extra, given how much the base game is going for on the secondary market these days.

Have you gotten to play any PVP Predator matches yet (or just Predator games with more than one player)? I've only ever done solo Predator matches, which have always ended up being a bit too easy since they kinda seem designed to have multiple other players there screwing you over to add to the difficulty.

I'd love it if they put out a Predators expansion, but I've kinda given up hope that it'll ever happen at this point. I know the Covenant one for their Alien game came out not that long ago, but I figure if we were ever going to see one for this we probably would have by now.

Also, 25:24; yes! ;D I've never actually done it yet myself, but yes.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Aug 16, 2021, 03:16:48 PM
Whoever did this waited until late last night, made that video by hand, and then got by the AVPG guys to post it. Maybe you oughta give him a job, put him on the payroll.

QuoteGlad to hear you've been enjoying it Voodoo, and congrats on the video! It really is such a great game. And you got the exclusive mat too! I can imagine that must have cost a fair bit extra, given how much the base game is going for on the secondary market these days.

Appreciate it brother. I wouldn't have taken it upon myself to do this if we hadn't talked about the game that one night, so thanks to you!

The second play mat only ran me $19.99 - so roughly 17 pounds for you? - not too bad.

QuoteHave you gotten to play any PVP Predator matches yet (or just Predator games with more than one player)? I've only ever done solo Predator matches, which have always ended up being a bit too easy since they kinda seem designed to have multiple other players there screwing you over to add to the difficulty.

Yessssss! Predator PvP matches are where it's at. It turned out to be my favorite way to play the game.

Even when dead, the Predator with the most honor points wins, so you are constantly gauging how your opponent is doing. You may be dueling your opponent, trying to take him out cause you've been winning in honor points the whole game so far, and next thing you know he's holding on by a thread but gets a big kill, and then you realize oh shit, if he dies now he wins! So not only can't I kill him, but I need to protect him and keep this guy alive or he wins!  It adds a wild component.

QuoteI'd love it if they put out a Predators expansion, but I've kinda given up hope that it'll ever happen at this point. I know the Covenant one for their Alien game came out not that long ago, but I figure if we were ever going to see one for this we probably would have by now.

Yeah. Maybe the only way it happens is if a fan does it, and we'd all have to print out the cards.

QuoteAlso, 25:24; yes! ;D I've never actually done it yet myself, but yes.

Hehe

Kailem

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 17, 2021, 12:54:54 PMAppreciate it brother. I wouldn't have taken it upon myself to do this if we hadn't talked about the game that one night, so thanks to you!

The second play mat only ran me $19.99 - so roughly 17 pounds for you? - not too bad.

Glad I could be a bad influence in a good way! :D That's less than I would have thought for that alternate map, especially seeing as the game is out of print now. I would have thought it'd be one of those really hard to find items that were extremely overpriced, so good that you were able to get it without having to break the bank (especially given how much the game itself costs now).

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 17, 2021, 12:54:54 PMYessssss! Predator PvP matches are where it's at. It turned out to be my favorite way to play the game.

Even when dead, the Predator with the most honor points wins, so you are constantly gauging how your opponent is doing. You may be dueling your opponent, trying to take him out cause you've been winning in honor points the whole game so far, and next thing you know he's holding on by a thread but gets a big kill, and then you realize oh shit, if he dies now he wins! So not only can't I kill him, but I need to protect him and keep this guy alive or he wins!  It adds a wild component.

That sounds really cool! Needless to say I've not experienced any of that since you can't really do multi-Predator matches solo (well I guess you can, but you'd be playing against yourself :laugh:), but that definitely sounds like a great mechanic that's not present in the PvE human side of the game. Would certainly add a whole new dimension to the game, for sure!

Voodoo Magic

Hmm. If you still want to experience it, I can see playing two Predators in a single player match working but one avatar is clearly you and the other is clearly an AI opponent. I think that would work, but you would have to be able to play completely honest with yourself, as in fair & brutal during every opponent's turn and try your best to f*ck yourself up. A what-would-I-do counter.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 16, 2021, 01:26:56 PM

https://youtu.be/HP8sofAN4xc

I think I recognize his voice - it's that guy that constantly hates on ADI Preds, Ugh, can't stand him

Dachande

Dachande

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 18, 2021, 05:09:10 PM
Hmm. If you still want to experience it, I can see playing two Predators in a single player match working but one avatar is clearly you and the other is clearly an AI opponent. I think that would work, but you would have to be able to play completely honest with yourself, as in fair & brutal during every opponent's turn and try your best to f*ck yourself up. A what-would-I-do counter.

Looks like there is actually a fan-made variant for playing solo with other Predators on BGG.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/130417/virtual-hunter-opponent-solo-variant-le-predator-d

I'll also say, if you have Tabletop Sim on PC, there's a well made scripted version of this on there, where im sure you could find some other players

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 18, 2021, 05:14:55 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 16, 2021, 01:26:56 PM

https://youtu.be/HP8sofAN4xc

I think I recognize his voice - it's that guy that constantly hates on ADI Preds, Ugh, can't stand him

Oh, that guy? Yeah, he has a big mouth.

;D

Quote from: Dachande on Aug 18, 2021, 05:16:44 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 18, 2021, 05:09:10 PM

Looks like there is actually a fan-made variant for playing solo with other Predators on BGG.
https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/130417/virtual-hunter-opponent-solo-variant-le-predator-d

I'll also say, if you have Tabletop Sim on PC, there's a well made scripted version of this on there, where im sure you could find some other players

Thanks for sharing this brother. I downloaded the PDF and will check it out tonight.
:)👍

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed