Weyland Industries website updated w/ Corporate Timeline!

Started by Cvalda, Mar 17, 2012, 02:41:35 AM

Author
Weyland Industries website updated w/ Corporate Timeline! (Read 41,029 times)

Xenomrph

Worth noting: although the website says Peter Weyland founded "Weyland Industries" in 2023, the timeline makes a reference to a Weyland company existing at least as early as 2015, so maybe everyone's "WOOHOO THIS RETCONNED AVP OUT OF EXISTENCE!!!" jubilation might have been a bit premature? ;)

Or am I going to start seeing mental gymnastics in order to account for it, the same thing the AvP-haters were ridiculing the AvP-fans for doing in order to find ways to include 'AvP'? ;)

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 17, 2012, 04:21:06 PM
Worth noting: although the website says Peter Weyland founded "Weyland Industries" in 2023, the timeline makes a reference to a Weyland company existing at least as early as 2015, so maybe everyone's "WOOHOO THIS RETCONNED AVP OUT OF EXISTENCE!!!" jubilation might have been a bit premature? ;)

Or am I going to start seeing mental gymnastics in order to account for it, the same thing the AvP-haters were ridiculing the AvP-fans for doing in order to find ways to include 'AvP'? ;)
2023 is the time of the TED talk, and that already lets us know that Weyland Industries have been around. Weyland founds the company in his youth, when he's in his early 20's. I don't think AVP has a chance.

chupacabras acheronsis

Peter Weyland was born in 1990. who was that old man in 2004? and why isn't he important enough to mention, or his mysterious disapearance?

Zeta Reticuli

for me, this whole viral marketing is just EU stuff anyway and i want to see what the actual movie is going to show us.
now it certainly has become a lot easier to dismiss AvP from the ALIEN franchise, which for many people it was not even a part of from the beginning.

AvP fanboys' behavior when you tell them what the chances are for AvP being in canon with Prometheus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA#

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 17, 2012, 04:32:21 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 17, 2012, 04:21:06 PM

2023 is the time of the TED talk, and that already lets us know that Weyland Industries have been around. Weyland founds the company in his youth, when he's in his early 20's. I don't think AVP has a chance.
But the timeline doesn't say that - the website says that Weyland Industries is 50 in 2073, but the company was obviously around before 2023... which means its 50th anniversary wouldn't be in 2073.

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Mar 17, 2012, 04:43:42 PM
Peter Weyland was born in 1990. who was that old man in 2004? and why isn't he important enough to mention, or his mysterious disapearance?
Because the timeline is about Peter Weyland and the corporation's achievements under his direction. The timeline also doesn't say when he founded the company at all.

Fun fact: I'm pretty sure 'AvP' takes place on or around Oct 1st, 2004. That happens to be a date mentioned on the timeline, even if it doesn't reference the events of 'AvP'.

It's looking more and more like the website isn't contradicting 'AvP' as much as some people might want to believe, even if it doesn't directly reference it, either. It's a smart thing to do - it allows people who dislike 'AvP' to disregard it, but still allows the people who like it to include it. :)

Quote from: Zeta Reticuli on Mar 17, 2012, 04:56:13 PM
for me, this whole viral marketing is just EU stuff anyway and i want to see what the actual movie is going to show us.
now it certainly has become a lot easier to dismiss AvP from the ALIEN franchise, which for many people it was not even a part of from the beginning.

AvP fanboys' behavior when you tell them what the chances are for AvP being in canon with Prometheus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA#
Why do you even care if AvP is canon or not, even if Prometheus never references AvP? Would it ruin Prometheus for you? If so, why?

It's just funny to see the one piece of "evidence" people were citing to "prove" that 'AvP' can't happen being not exactly airtight. :D

Snowdog

Owyeah ! :laugh: Peter Weyland is born in the same year i was born 8)

QuoteA MAVERICK IS BORN
Peter Weyland is born in Mumbai, India to an Oxford-educated Professor of Comparative Mythology and a self-taught engineer.
OCTOBER 1, 1990

MrSpaceJockey

I am just intrigued at how fast this timeline moves. FTL travel exists for about 50 years before Prometheus? Wow.

chupacabras acheronsis

yes, but the aplication of that technology is probably what takes longer to create.

Valaquen

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 17, 2012, 04:59:01 PM
But the timeline doesn't say that - the website says that Weyland Industries is 50 in 2073, but the company was obviously around before 2023... which means its 50th anniversary wouldn't be in 2073.
No, the timeline states that Weyland have been building better worlds for 50 years, in reference to Peter outlining the course of the company in terms of terraforming during the 2023 TED talk. From that point on, Weyland Industries became the space-jaunting company. They existed before that but in a purely earth-bound capacity: Sir Peter Weyland clarifies his vision for Weyland Industries, laying the groundwork for the next 50 years of Building Better Worlds. I thought it was all pretty clear.

fiveways

Ugh, I wish they had written "Aliens" out.

chupacabras acheronsis

not gonna happen. Ridley liked Aliens.

bunnyavpg

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Mar 17, 2012, 06:08:02 PM
yes, but the aplication of that technology is probably what takes longer to create.

Weyland scientists discover the inverse relationship between velocity and the flow of time making the long sought-after concept of faster than light travel a reality. The search for practical application begins.

May 20, 2032

Weyland Industries introduces the first FTL-capable SEV (space exploration vehicle).

January 17, 2034

PVTDukeMorrison

At the end of Prometheus, I wanna see the merge between Weyland and Yutani.

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: Snowdog on Mar 17, 2012, 05:56:38 PM
Owyeah ! :laugh: Peter Weyland is born in the same year i was born 8)

QuoteA MAVERICK IS BORN
Peter Weyland is born in Mumbai, India to an Oxford-educated Professor of Comparative Mythology and a self-taught engineer.
OCTOBER 1, 1990

Peter Weyland was born on the exact same day as I was born - October 1st, 1990! :D

After the film has been released I'd love this website to be updated to include events occuring throughout the whole Alien saga - to give a good breakdown on all of Weyland, including its merge with Yutani.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed