Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jan 02, 2018, 10:23:48 PM

Author
Neil Blomkamp Has "Moved On" From Alien 5 (Read 86,937 times)

GreybackElder

I'm glad Blomkamp has addressed this. With numerous SCI-FI outlets reporting on his preproduction stuff it's easy to be confused on the status of his Alien film. Let's not kid ourselfs here and get our hopes up about a film NOT happening. Nevertheless I'm grateful for a glimpse into his Alien universe.

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2018, 10:22:03 AM
Rank Title             Adjusted Gross
1      Alien             $280,867,700 
2      Aliens            $204,981,400
3      Prometheus   $139,725,200

That's only the US box office.

Internationally, Prometheus made much more money than Aliens.  That's the point.  Aliens only had 35% of its gross from overseas, while Prometheus' gross was 68%.  In fact, Prometheus did even better than Alien.

S6103

This is disappointing

Frosty98B

Disney, this is your last chance... Do something about it!!! :o

Whiskeybrewer

Im glad he's still releasing the concept art even though he's now officially done with it. (He may come back who knows) But who ever continues the franchise once Ridley's done (Prometheus 3 should be his last one in the universe), should/could take inspiration from Blomkamps art work

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: Alionic on Jan 03, 2018, 07:24:27 AM
lol "Screenrant.com."

Disney is inevitably going to make their own Alien film independent of Scott's involvement. I'm sure they have Blomkamp's contact info.

Sure, but it won't be Blomkamp directing it. He may come on as an adviser, but beyond that he won't be involved, and it won't be his film with Sigourney. Obviously the beast isn't cooked and they'll make more without Scott, but if Blomkamp has 'moved on', let him move on. People change and get fed up with things, it happens.

Corporal Hicks

Given the crap luck he's having with studio projects, I couldn't fault him. I wonder if The Gone World is far along enough that'll it'll be included with the "business as usual" projects.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Scorpio on Jan 03, 2018, 11:23:50 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 03, 2018, 10:22:03 AM
Rank Title             Adjusted Gross
1      Alien             $280,867,700 
2      Aliens            $204,981,400
3      Prometheus   $139,725,200

That's only the US box office.

Internationally, Prometheus made much more money than Aliens.  That's the point.  Aliens only had 35% of its gross from overseas, while Prometheus' gross was 68%.  In fact, Prometheus did even better than Alien.

It's still irrelevant.

Prometheus cost considerably more to make and market than either Alien or Aliens. So it's silly to say it made the most money without factoring in it's production and marketing costs.

Here's what's important:

Alien made back more than x9 times it's production budget.
Aliens made back more than x7 times it's production budget.
Prometheus only made back x3 times it's production budget.

So Alien and Aliens still made more money for the studio even though they raked-in less un-adjusted dollars at the box office.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 03, 2018, 03:47:08 PM
Given the crap luck he's having with studio projects, I couldn't fault him. I wonder if The Gone World is far along enough that'll it'll be included with the "business as usual" projects.

Pretty sure it will be. But yeah, twice bitten by Fox now, first Halo now Alien 5.

Vrastal

Maybe in a few years we can get a brand new story and cast and charecters.  And the dead horse of ripley can stop getting beaten to a nloody pulp

Baron Von Marlon

He said similar things earlier, yet he releases some more concept art.
If his project is totally dead, he would release his script.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The concept art (or pitch art more accurately) was commissioned out of his own pocket so I think there's no real issue with him releasing it.

The full script however would have been written under a contract and a NDA. It would therefore likely be Fox's call on whether to release it. Or otherwise if Blomkamp wants to release it, he would probably need their permission first.

There's also that comment below from Neill that might suggest his hands are also tied with regards to releasing actual concept art, props and anything else that was created during the seven months of official, greenlit, under-contract pre-production. In other words, anything that Fox paid for.

Quote"What I meant was that I wish there was a way for fans to see some of what we had designed." - Neill Blomkamp

The Beast

The Beast

Good! Good riddance to an under cooked video game idea! Retconning chapters of a franchise and series you claim to love just to make ALIENS part 2 is not a true fan for the world of this series. I'm glad this ridiculous fan fiction idea is no longer being pursued. To discount other chapters of the story just because you didnt like them is not only a slap in the face to the other artists and film makers who put their all into their own chapter, but its also pointless video game mentality in just restarting if you didn't like it. that's not how it works. I like you Neil, but your idea for Alien 5 offers nothing we haven't seen before and is just an ALIENS fan wet dream because they cant get over Hicks, Newt, and Ripley dying. If this story were to be made and we needed to have Ripley back... AGAIN (we don't, I love you Sigourney, but Ripley's story is told.), then keep it real and retcon everything after the first film. It could end where it began and truly makes it about Ripley and the Beast. But no matter what film gets made, just remember that in THIS story universe, there are no family friendly happy endings.... but this one.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 03, 2018, 04:56:18 PM
The concept art (or pitch art more accurately) was commissioned out of his own pocket so I think there's no real issue with him releasing it.

The full script however would have been written under a contract and a NDA. It would therefore likely be Fox's call on whether to release it. Or otherwise if Blomkamp wants to release it, he would probably need their permission first.

There's also that comment below from Neill that might suggest his hands are also tied with regards to releasing actual concept art, props and anything else that was created during the seven months of official, greenlit, under-contract pre-production. In other words, anything that Fox paid for.

Quote"What I meant was that I wish there was a way for fans to see some of what we had designed." - Neill Blomkamp

Makes sense.

Scorpio

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jan 03, 2018, 04:22:26 PM

It's still irrelevant.

Prometheus cost considerably more to make and market than either Alien or Aliens. So it's silly to say it made the most money without factoring in it's production and marketing costs.

Here's what's important:

Alien made back more than x9 times it's production budget.
Aliens made back more than x7 times it's production budget.
Prometheus only made back x3 times it's production budget.

So Alien and Aliens still made more money for the studio even though they raked-in less un-adjusted dollars at the box office.

There's how much profit it made for the studio then there's also how successful it was in terms of box office.  Two separate things.

Aliens was more profitable but that's because it had a low budget.  Its returns weren't that high, especially in international box office numbers.

If Aliens cost $1 and made $100 then it would have made 100x its production budget.   Doesn't matter, what's important is how many people actually went to see it, not the profit for the studio.

Big budget movies these days typically have very large revenues, but low profit margins.  The Force Awakens made 2068 mil, that's 8x its budget, does that mean it was less successful than Alien because it made 9x its budget?  According to your argument, it is.

Whos_Nick

Studio cares much more about domestic box office as they don't see every cent that comes internationally.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed