Recent posts

Alien: Romulus / Re: [Spoilers] More Alien: Rom...
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 01:09:47 PM
Calling a habitable extrasolar planet "something useful" is a major understatement, even if it offered nothing else of value (e.g. minerals).

That's why I raise my eyebrow whenever someone asks why a colony was put on LV-426.
Last post by SiL - Today at 12:59:00 PM
LV-223 being next door isn't in the movies.

Hadley's Hope isn't set up as any sort research station. If WY had plans for the Aliens, Burke never would have been able to do what he did.

It was a moon with sufficient gravity and atmosphere to be terraformed into something useful. It was off the beaten track so may have just been intended to help expand interstellar flight plans, nothing more.
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 12:57:17 PM
Why would the company establish a colony on LV-426 and leave the derelict alone for over 20 years?
Last post by GrimmVision - Today at 12:51:26 PM
Right, at least two of the planetoids I mentioned need to be terraformed to get to a point where the air is breathable. But they can still get to a point, with human intervention, where life can eventually be stable. Also, in addition, all of them have seemingly perfect gravity for humans, without human intervation, which makes me believe that in the Alien Universe, it is more than common to find planets and moons with the capacity for life. And with FTL travel within this universe, those planets and moons that can bear life may as well be as close to us as Mars or Jupiter are to us now with our currents space travel capabilities.

Which is why I'm saying I don't believe it to be chance that WY decided on LV-426 to be the site of Hadley's Hope. You guys really don't think there's more insidious intentions behind such a decision? Especially when LV-223 is right next door?

Also, the Engineers couldn't survive on LV-223 without suits, which is why their pyramids acted as terraforming stations with breathable air cleaner than Earth's. Humans and Engineers can breathe 223's atmosphere for at least a couple minutes before succumbing to carbon dioxide poisoning, as mentioned in Prometheus.
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 12:49:28 PM
True. Life could probably exist and even thrive on planets with gravity significantly different from Earth's, but it would suck for us.  LV-426, despite its size, has a surface gravity that's close pretty damn close to ours.  Definitely better than the moon, Mars or Titan.
Last post by SiL - Today at 12:32:37 PM
There's also the question of "life-bearing" and "human bearing".

Life can come in many forms. The engineers could survive on LV-422 but humans couldn't.

When you have the technology to make breathable atmospheres, the definition of "life-bearing" opens way up. There are multiple moons in our solar system that could be life bearing with technological intervention, but not left to their own devices.
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 12:25:25 PM
I'd guess that Fiorina is naturally like that, given the presence of indigenous life.  Of course, that doesn't mean anyone would want to live there.  Didn't they say the temperature drops to 40 below at night?

LV-426 was downright cozy by comparison.
Quote from: SiL on Today at 11:05:05 AM
Spoiler
Joe's death was like six frames? It was ridiculously blink and you'll miss it. If that's the benchmark I don't see things being more than that as that bad?
[close]

Spoiler
Joe's death is definitely quick, but pretty grisly in my opinion (as is the scene afterwards where his body is shown off to the War Pups that stayed behind at the Citadel). What's seen here in Furiosa hangs around on screen a bit longer than Joe's death, but is more or less in the same taste, I'd say. Maybe a bit more effecting if only because you see it happening to people you sympathize with here.
[close]
Last post by SiL - Today at 12:20:18 PM
Quote from: GrimmVision on Today at 12:06:00 PM
Spoiler
So the Alien was created accidentally?
[close]
No idea, we'll have to watch fee films.

Quote from: GrimmVision on Today at 12:14:52 PMAnd then you also have Fiorina 161, Origae-6, and Planet IV. That's already a relatively high number of planetoids with life-bearing capabilities, all fitting into a single film franchise. It's maybe not so rare.
By the time of Aliens, over 300 worlds have been surveyed. Two of them are apparently capable of sustaining life without intervention - we don't know about Fiorina. LV-422 and LV-426 can't be lived on by humans without work.
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 12:19:23 PM
I didn't say it was rare, but maybe it's not as common as you think.  Planets need more than a breathable atmosphere to be habitable.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed