Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,168 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jun 09, 2021, 08:36:39 PM
It's still not the judge's concern to be able to make up time or money lost, though. They do have to consider the damages caused by issuing an injunction, but they also need to weigh it up against the likelihood that the applicant will succeed or fail their case.

Err, this is exactly what I just replied with.

And I never said it was the judge's concern to make up time lost, but they have to consider the damages of doing so, i.e. factor those losses during a preliminary injunction decision.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 03, 2021, 01:12:58 PM
The Judge can't magically recreate the time lost, the jobs lost and reimburse the money spent. So I believe all this will be certainly argued in front of the Judge, an aspect already somewhat stressed in their legal filing.

SiL

SiL

"The judge can't magically recreate the time lost" reads like you're saying it's the judge's concern.

EDIT

For clarity, I get you now.

Voodoo Magic

goose_3387

So Skulls continues to potentially film the whole movie that may never get a release depending on the delayed verdict?

XENOMORPHOSIS

So, I don't want to speak too soon but could this be like the Friday the 13th lawsuit in limbo back n forth no resolve for years and years.

Lost_Hunter

You can't see the eyes of the demon, until im come callin

acrediblesource

Interesting Turn? More like a statement about legal legislation and their prioritizations per locale. I'm not entirely impressed with this. Sounds like its more of a State issue than a legal one.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 10, 2021, 08:29:38 PM
So Skulls continues to potentially film the whole movie that may never get a release depending on the delayed verdict?

I can't even imagine working under those conditions, knowing any time the proverbial shoe can drop. So stressful....

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jun 10, 2021, 08:55:55 PM
So, I don't want to speak too soon but could this be like the Friday the 13th lawsuit in limbo back n forth no resolve for years and years.

Unfortunately, I'm starting to get that vibe too, and it just makes me ill. :'(

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 10, 2021, 09:04:49 PM
Interesting Turn? More like a statement about legal legislation and their prioritizations per locale. I'm not entirely impressed with this. Sounds like its more of a State issue than a legal one.

I guess things we find interesting is relative to us as individuals, but I don't believe reporting on any of this legal craziness is intended to impress you, to be honest. Rather just to inform.  :)

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 10, 2021, 11:33:55 PM
I can't even imagine working under those conditions, knowing any time the proverbial shoe can drop. So stressful....
Post-COVID that's every set at the moment :(

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 10, 2021, 11:33:55 PM
Quote from: goose_3387 on Jun 10, 2021, 08:29:38 PM

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jun 10, 2021, 08:55:55 PM

Unfortunately, I'm starting to get that vibe too, and it just makes me ill. :'(

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jun 10, 2021, 09:04:49 PM

I guess things we find interesting is relative to us as individuals, but I don't believe reporting on any of this legal craziness is intended to impress you, to be honest. Rather just to inform.  :)

The important matter here would be whether or not content is allowed to be made even if this does drag on for years. Well, at least until 2023. This is such a frustrating mess because we don't have any definitives here, only speculations. At least with F13 you KNOW content can't be made, at least under the Jason Voorhees name. Here it's a "will they/won't they" be allowed to keep making Predator content during this lawsuit. Today we could have known, but it just seems like this judge didn't want to handle something of this nature. So possibly on to someone else, and now we're left wondering, if it does, how THEY may proceed in determining an injunction. The legal system can sometimes move slow, even when something requires immediate resolve. As someone mentioned, we may very well have SKULLS complete filming before we get an answer. And then it could be "well, the film won't see the light of day now" or "man, that was close, but here's the release date!"

SiL

Until or unless an injunction is passed, the status quo is for Twentieth Century Studios to keep exploiting the property.

If the injunction is passed, we have an answer - no content until the matter is settled. If it's not passed, we pretty much also have an answer - keep on trucking until the matter is settled. TCS has already shown they're gonna keep trucking along until they're legally forced to stop.

F13 was a messier case of whether the provision was even allowed to be invoked. The issue here seems a bit clearer-cut -- did they make an error on their earliest filing or not. If they did, TCS and Disney have until 2023 to renegotiate.

SuperiorIronman

If Skulls does complete I wouldn't be surprised if it slipped out like the Roger Corman Fantastic Four and Predator has a mysterious 5th entry floating around burnt to a disk you can only find in some back area of an anime convention.

SiL

I mean realistically the worst case scenario is the Brothers get the rights and TCS renegotiates for those rights and life moves the f**k on.

Ironically, having a film tied up in legal limbo gives the Brothers more bargaining power than they would have otherwise.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/business/business-news/predator-rights-fight-1234966100/amp/

THR reporting this as an early advantage for Disney. Apparently the Judge is set to side with Disney in regards to where this should be filed.

IMO lawyers for the Bros. already stumbling and filing in the wrong district with silly justification.

SiL

Is it silly?

Looks like a lawyer exploring avenues to give their client the best opportunities.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed