Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,167 times)

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 02, 2021, 04:18:59 PM
We Predator fans seem to get our bandages pulled off slowly and painfully...!  :P

This stuff is stressing me the heck out. And now I'm even more stressed because filming is going to start and then suddenly the rug could be pulled out from under them and us.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I hear that. I'm just riding on the hope that if Disney/20th Century Studios lawyers felt that their odds of coming out on top of this copyright termination date dispute were bad, they would have advised the studio to wait it out and not cast/go into pre-production in Alberta. But the drawing of this out is definitely not enjoyable. It's the not knowing which is most stressful to me. :-\

BigDaddyJohn

It goes on and on and on...

Nukiemorph

That really sucks for the cast and crew.

I like this premise a lot, so I hope this movie happens.

TheTruthWillHurtYourButt

TheTruthWillHurtYourButt

This is Disney playing legal games. No doubt they bribed the court to delay the proceedings and will continue to do stuff like this until the Thomas Brothers run out of money or die. The Rat will not be stopped.

Proteus

Proteus

Quote from: Nukiemorph on Jun 02, 2021, 05:49:38 PM

Me too.

Is it really Disney delaying and playing games, because all I read in the article is that the court's had a scheduling issue. I'm not sure Disney is playing any games. I'm betting they want this to be resolved as quickly as possible.

Hm. I was replying to another comment and I suppose it was deleted because it has me responding to you again, Nukiemorph. So, ignore that second part, unless you yourself have thoughts on it.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Proteus on Jun 02, 2021, 09:06:06 PM

Me too.

Is it really Disney delaying and playing games, because all I read in the article is that the court's had a scheduling issue. I'm not sure Disney is playing any games. I'm betting they want this to be resolved as quickly as possible.

Hm. I was replying to another comment and I suppose it was deleted because it has me responding to you again, Nukiemorph. So, ignore that second part, unless you yourself have thoughts on it.

So you don't subscribe to the theory that Disney bribed the court to delay the proceedings? ;D

Removed from all that, in all seriousness though, I do personally believe that being in the process of filming gives 20th Century Studios a definite extra edge here, soley in regards to the preliminary injunction and no looming airtight precedent. Because imagine the Judge putting an injunction on Skulls stopping production and sending everyone packing, costing the studio millions of dollars. Then the trial occurs and ten months later the ruling goes in favor of the studio confirming they do have the rights until January 2023. Sorry about that. The Judge can't magically recreate the time lost, the jobs lost and reimburse the money spent. So I believe all this will be certainly argued in front of the Judge, an aspect already somewhat stressed in their legal filing.

Proteus

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 03, 2021, 01:12:58 PM

Me too.

So you don't subscribe to the theory that Disney bribed the court to delay the proceedings? ;D

Removed from all that, in all seriousness though, I do personally believe that being in the process of filming gives 20th Century Studios a definite extra edge here, soley in regards to the preliminary injunction and no looming airtight precedent. Because imagine the Judge putting an injunction on Skulls stopping production and sending everyone packing, costing the studio millions of dollars. Then the trial occurs and ten months later the ruling goes in favor of the studio confirming they do have the rights until January 2023. Sorry about that. The Judge can't magically recreate the time lost, the jobs lost and reimburse the money spent. So I believe all this will be certainly argued in front of the Judge, an aspect already somewhat stressed in their legal filing.

So are you now more of the mindset that this judge doesn't pass an injunction and production continues forward no matter the ruling later?

Voodoo Magic

Total speculation, but yeah, I'm definitely personally in the mindset there won't be a preliminary injunction against Skulls.

The ruling though is an entirely different matter. But by time a ruling will come down, the filming of Skulls will have long since been completed, maybe even released (by the way these cases can sometimes get drawn out.) But if the Thomas Brothers win, I would imagine license compensation from 20th Century Studios for Skulls will certainly have to go the brother's way retroactively.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 03, 2021, 01:12:58 PM

Me too.

This pretty much echoes my thoughts as well.

Enjoy

Bay Area Court kills jobs for native american actors in first of its kind film....doubt it.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Does anyone know if they delayed filming because of the lawsuit? Changing the June7th filming date til after the results of the courtcase.

SiL

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 03, 2021, 01:12:58 PMBecause imagine the Judge putting an injunction on Skulls stopping production and sending everyone packing, costing the studio millions of dollars. Then the trial occurs and ten months later the ruling goes in favor of the studio confirming they do have the rights until January 2023. Sorry about that. The Judge can't magically recreate the time lost, the jobs lost and reimburse the money spent. So I believe all this will be certainly argued in front of the Judge, an aspect already somewhat stressed in their legal filing.
Why does the judge need to care about recreating time lost? Why's that their responsibility in the least?

Their responsibility is to make a judgment about the case on legal grounds. Millions of dollars lost and people sent packing is the studio's fault and problem, and would be a consequence of them not tying up loose ends in a timely manner.

Setting a precedent of basically letting studios hold people's jobs hostage to get what you want would have awful repurcussions and isn't something we should be hoping for :-\

If the injunction isn't passed I hope it's based on the legal facts of the case, not an emotional plea of the studio.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: XENOMORPHOSIS on Jun 08, 2021, 10:13:36 PM
Does anyone know if they delayed filming because of the lawsuit? Changing the June7th filming date til after the results of the courtcase.

I don't think we have a definitive answer on that, but personally I don't believe filming was delayed. If they were that afraid, why fly the cast out there rather than push it off a few more weeks? Plus Kyle Strauts announcing hours before production starting "I could not be more excited for this next adventure", kind of felt like a confirmation (at least to me) that things were proceeding as plan. :)

Quote from: SiL on Jun 08, 2021, 10:35:03 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 03, 2021, 01:12:58 PMBecause imagine the Judge putting an injunction on Skulls stopping production and sending everyone packing, costing the studio millions of dollars. Then the trial occurs and ten months later the ruling goes in favor of the studio confirming they do have the rights until January 2023. Sorry about that. The Judge can't magically recreate the time lost, the jobs lost and reimburse the money spent. So I believe all this will be certainly argued in front of the Judge, an aspect already somewhat stressed in their legal filing.
Why does the judge need to care about recreating time lost? Why's that their responsibility in the least?

Their responsibility is to make a judgment about the case on legal grounds. Millions of dollars lost and people sent packing is the studio's fault and problem, and would be a consequence of them not tying up loose ends in a timely manner.

Setting a precedent of basically letting studios hold people's jobs hostage to get what you want would have awful repurcussions and isn't something we should be hoping for :-\

If the injunction isn't passed I hope it's based on the legal facts of the case, not an emotional plea of the studio.

You're thinking the ruling. A ruling would be solely based on the legal facts of the case. The ruling comes after the trial, after all the facts of the case are argued.

We're talking a preliminary injunction which is pre-trial. Before both sides argue their case. Before all facts are heard. Before one side is ruled in the right. So in addition to the strength of the case, outside factors have to come into play with a preliminary injunction, ramifications to both sides if the Judge orders one way or another, is the way I understand it.

SiL

It's still not the judge's concern to be able to make up time or money lost, though. They do have to consider the damages caused by issuing an injunction, but they also need to weigh it up against the likelihood that the applicant will succeed or fail their case.

The question comes down to is it going to be weighed on the fact the nearest claim date was ostensibly in error and therefore wouldn't pass, or the '23 end date is valid and will pass? Would the latter even justify issuing an injunction? Time will tell.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed