Arnold talks about The Predator

Started by The Wolverine Predator, Apr 05, 2017, 09:50:01 PM

Author
Arnold talks about The Predator (Read 70,606 times)

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2017, 03:06:36 PM
I see what you mean with it as a success, but it really was one of a string. It's more fondly remembered now than the others, but at the time, they were all hitting about the same marks financially and critically.

Sure - but only some still hit the mark today, critically. Predator is one of the big ones.

QuoteHe's not about to starve if he doesn't act, you know?

Certainly not, which is why I admired him for taking on, say, Maggie, which I still haven't seen but which seemed like a smaller genre picture where he could just act. That said he's still clearly focused on being the lead when and where he can, and I just don't think that's the be-all end-all. When he's taken recent studio pictures where he's leading, they've mostly all turned out bad or mediocre since he stopped being Governator. His best options for that right now are several pipe dreams - like Crusade or Wings for Eagles, neither of which is likely to ever happen, or King Conan which will never be the same without the unfortunately-incapacitated John Milius - or a future Shane Black Predator sequel, which definitely can and probably will happen, IMO.

We're in a significant age of both mega-franchising and micro-targeted nostalgia. I think Arnold's cameo in The Predator ticks all the hottest boxes in that formula right now, and would poise him to do what Sly has begun to wisely do by hitching his star to Marvel as well as to key supporting roles in important new films. A lot of people think Sly was robbed of an Oscar for Creed and I think they're right. You can't buy that with a leading role in a studio action picture today, at least not a standalone one like the ones he's been trying to do. I'm not saying that sort of Creed prestige could ever be Arnold's, but I do think he would catch more heat - if that is what he wants - with the right material, even if it's not center spotlight. And I think that spotlight would still be on him in the eyes of audiences leaving the theater after this movie. Every question would be 'is Dutch starring in the sequel?'

QuoteDo you follow him on social media?

I don't, but I'm aware of his recent commentary on the Special Olympics and the POTUS, both of which made me very proud to be a fan. Arnold is not a saint, anyone who knows his history knows that, but I think he's a profoundly decent (if imperfect) man and a true American on many levels.

SiL

SiL

Arnie taking a bit part in a Marvel movie makes more sense because they're not waiting for one film to do well before doing another; they have half a dozen in production at any time and a bit part in one movie guarantees a role in the next. This is a tiny role at the end of a movie and whether there's a sequel is entirely dependent on the success of this movie; it's not a sure thing.

As for people asking "Will he be back?!" -- they ask that every time they announce a film, he doesn't need a bit part teaser to get tongues wagging :P

echobbase79

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 21, 2017, 03:17:08 PM
Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2017, 03:06:36 PM
I see what you mean with it as a success, but it really was one of a string. It's more fondly remembered now than the others, but at the time, they were all hitting about the same marks financially and critically.

Sure - but only some still hit the mark today, critically. Predator is one of the big ones.

QuoteHe's not about to starve if he doesn't act, you know?

Certainly not, which is why I admired him for taking on, say, Maggie, which I still haven't seen but which seemed like a smaller genre picture where he could just act. That said he's still clearly focused on being the lead when and where he can, and I just don't think that's the be-all end-all. When he's taken recent studio pictures where he's leading, they've mostly all turned out bad or mediocre since he stopped being Governator. His best options for that right now are several pipe dreams - like Crusade or Wings for Eagles, neither of which is likely to ever happen, or King Conan which will never be the same without the unfortunately-incapacitated John Milius - or a future Shane Black Predator sequel, which definitely can and probably will happen, IMO.

We're in a significant age of both mega-franchising and micro-targeted nostalgia. I think Arnold's cameo in The Predator ticks all the hottest boxes in that formula right now, and would poise him to do what Sly has begun to wisely do by hitching his star to Marvel as well as to key supporting roles in important new films. A lot of people think Sly was robbed of an Oscar for Creed and I think they're right. You can't buy that with a leading role in a studio action picture today, at least not a standalone one like the ones he's been trying to do. I'm not saying that sort of Creed prestige could ever be Arnold's, but I do think he would catch more heat - if that is what he wants - with the right material, even if it's not center spotlight. And I think that spotlight would still be on him in the eyes of audiences leaving the theater after this movie. Every question would be 'is Dutch starring in the sequel?'

QuoteDo you follow him on social media?

I don't, but I'm aware of his recent commentary on the Special Olympics and the POTUS, both of which made me very proud to be a fan. Arnold is not a saint, anyone who knows his history knows that, but I think he's a profoundly decent (if imperfect) man and a true American on many levels.

Maggie is a movie that I couldn't finish, not because it was bad, but because it was really a downer. Arnie's really good in it though. I'll finish one day, but I know I'm going to hate how it ends.

SiL

SiL

He did it for free, too.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2017, 10:59:35 PM
As for people asking "Will he be back?!" -- they ask that every time they announce a film, he doesn't need a bit part teaser to get tongues wagging :P

It's one thing for Arnold to maybe be in a randomly-announced sequel out of nowhere, with fans speculating that he could come back. It's quite another for him to actually show up in a major new Predator sequel with a top-notch creative team in a story which ends with Arnold's character literally onscreen, leading the way to the next movie. That is a big difference. Take a look at how people talked about M. Night Shyamalan's Split before it came out - guessing at a random twist - and after, when the big reveal in the credits had everyone talking.

Is it possible The Predator might not do well enough to warrant said sequel, sure, hypothetically. But as long as it makes its money (and I think it will) and Black/Dekker are down, the studio will make it.

SiL

SiL

Yes, there's a difference -- but it goes back to he doesn't need it. He's Arnold f**king Schwarzenegger. A teaser getting people talking at the end of a movie doesn't really bolster him (and I imagine with how Terminator Genysis went he's weary of franchise bait).

It's a bit more complicated than just "making its money" (and whether it "makes money" can depend on some creative accounting if it's cheaper to write it off as a loss than admit it's a profit), and financially, the deck's stacked against them: Predator movies have never done gangbusters and Black's second-highest grossing film, The Nice Guys, made all of $36 million worldwide. Yeah, Iron Man 3 made over a billion -- but it's a Robert Downey Jnr Marvel Film. They're the highest grossing Marvel movies. I could make one tomorrow and bank on $800 million easy.

I'm not saying the film will tank, but from the perspective of a man who's spent his life achieving everything he's set out to, he reeeaaally doesn't need a bit part at the end of an unsure bet that may or may not turn into a major role in a few years.

TL;DR: I still don't think it's the least bit surprising he said no :P

echobbase79

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2017, 11:12:12 PM
He did it for free, too.

Wow, I didn't know that. I'd say that's probably his best dramatic acting to date. Though I haven't seen his latest movie which he looked very good in.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 21, 2017, 11:22:18 PM
I'm not saying the film will tank, but from the perspective of a man who's spent his life achieving everything he's set out to, he reeeaaally doesn't need a bit part at the end of an unsure bet that may or may not turn into a major role in a few years.

Sure. But maybe he wants to do a good movie with a celebrated action auteur, as opposed to Expendables IV or another Genisys. It couldn't hurt.

I'm not surprised, but I do think it's a career mistake. And yes, his film career - if he still wants one - does need it at this point, IMO.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 21, 2017, 11:28:50 PM
Sure. But maybe he wants to do a good movie with a celebrated action auteur, as opposed to Expendables IV or another Genisys. It couldn't hurt.
And if they'd offered that, I'm sure he would've! Instead they offered him a walk-on part for a day's filming to kind of say "hi" at the end of production. There's no reason they can't still bring him on in the sequel for the role they intended for him.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 22, 2017, 12:04:44 AM
And if they'd offered that, I'm sure he would've! Instead they offered him a walk-on part for a day's filming to kind of say "hi" at the end of production.

Because they're trying to re-introduce a franchise with new leads and new ideas without just leaning on Arnold - Genisys proved that didn't work. I think that's a very valid choice.

QuoteThere's no reason they can't still bring him on in the sequel for the role they intended for him.

No, there isn't. But this puts Arnold back in the public's mind immediately.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 22, 2017, 12:09:32 AM
Because they're trying to re-introduce a franchise with new leads and new ideas without just leaning on Arnold
I know. And I think that's a great idea. But because of that, they didn't offer him the chance to work with an action auteur -- they offered him the chance to walk in and say hi. Bit of a difference.

QuoteNo, there isn't. But this puts Arnold back in the public's mind immediately.
He's Arnold Motherf**king Schwarzenegger, he's always in the public's mind.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 22, 2017, 12:13:03 AM
I know. And I think that's a great idea. But because of that, they didn't offer him the chance to work with an action auteur -- they offered him the chance to walk in and say hi. Bit of a difference.

And I think at this point in his post-Governor film career, Arnold should take the long view of what the cameo can mean for the future.

QuoteHe's Arnold Motherf**king Schwarzenegger, he's always in the public's mind.

I wish that were true. I don't think it is anymore. 90% of his current film output (and public life) is not on a lot of people's radar atm.

Master

Master

Maybe not,  yet he's still a legend. He's recognisable to most of this planets population and I'm not even exaggerating. Arnie is a big deal. You want big deal? Give him a big role. He was offered camo twice so far and closest to happening was during AvP production. But he won the election.  I'm glad he's not in it though. Old man Arnie fighting Predator in iffy production... just leave him be.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 22, 2017, 12:20:37 AM
And I think at this point in his post-Governor film career, Arnold should take the long view of what the cameo can mean for the future.
It could mean a day wasted on set that never amounts to anything. Yes, that's a pessimistic view. No, it's not an unrealistic one.

QuoteI wish that were true. I don't think it is anymore. 90% of his current film output (and public life) is not on a lot of people's radar atm.
Between his social media gibes at the President and his aforementioned work on various community projects, he's plenty out here.

BishopShouldGo

Nice Guys made $57 million worldwide.

And no zombie film before World War Z ever did gangbusters. No reason why this Predator film can't be the first. I would not be surprised if this made over $400 million.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed