Latest News

Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro

Entertainment Weekly has just announced that Titan Books will be exploring the past of Aliens’ Private Vasquez in an upcoming novel from author V. Castro that will not only explore Vasquez’s history, but the family she left behind.

Aliens: Vasquez is set to explore the canonical background of Vasquez, as well as the story of the children she was forced to leave behind. Even before the doomed mission to Hadley’s Hope on LV-426, Jenette Vasquez had to fight to survive. Born to an immigrant family with a long military tradition, she looked up to the stars, but life pulled her back down to Earth — first into a street gang, then prison. The Colonial Marines proved to be Vasquez’s way out — a way that forced her to give up her twin children.

Raised by Jenette’s sister, those children, Leticia and Ramon, had to discover their own ways to survive. Leticia by following her mother’s path into the military, Ramon by entering the corporate hierarchy of Weyland-Yutani. Their paths converge on an unnamed planet which some see as a potential utopia, while others would use it for highly secretive research. Whatever humans have planned for it, however, Xenomorphs will turn it into a living hell.

Titan Books Unveils Novels Aliens: Vasquez By Author V. Castro

Vasquez’s heritage and family has been explored several times within the expanded universe, most recently with Marvel’s Aliens: Aftermath featuring her nephew who was in search of answers regarding his aunt’s disappearance. In the 1990s Dark Horse’s Aliens: Colonial Marines featured Vasquez’s younger sister, Carmen, as a primary character.

While this will be V. Castro’s first foray into the Alien series, she is an established horror writer whose most recent work is Goddess of Filth and The Queen of the Cicadas. Aliens: Vasquez is currently scheduled to release later this year on the 25th of October.

Make sure you stick with Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator comic and novel news! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!

Comments: 112
« Newer Comments Older Comments »
  1. VN1X
    Quote from: Murfy426 on Mar 28, 2022, 02:58:13 PM
    For Christ sake two pages of this thread were dedicated to discussing Vasquez' sexuality. We never cared about that when we grew up watching her character, it was her heart and grit that we grew to love and the fact that she was a truly ultimate badass that never faltered when facing certain death.

I hope I'm wrong and the book is a success but it's near impossible to ignore the warning signs presented.
    Couldn't have said it better.
  2. Murfy426
    Best of luck to Castro but I'm definitely not scrambling to get my hands on this. Personally I'd have been more excited to see what she could do with an entirely new story with original characters, rather than a story that's leaning on the crutch provided by a beloved legacy character. This fandom is clearly growing weary of it even if the author has the best of intentions.

This just seems like it'll play out very similarly to the reception of the recent Boba Fett series. Stripping away the mystery of a character just to capitalise on creative bankruptcy.

3. razeak
    I worked in a female prison.  None of this sounds out of line with reality from a motherhood pov from my experiences there. There are a million levels of experiences that may not fit your biases. Vasquez can easily fit into any one of them.

Maybe it will touch on her relationship with Drake some. Maybe they go back further. Maybe it actually turns out well written and is enjoyable in a vacuum. Maybe her kids get some good character development.

I mean....most of us enjoyed the book where the Avatar style synthetic sucked off a facehugger lmao.  I doubt Vazquez being a mother is stranger. I mean.....the movie that spawned her was about motherhood and family bonds fighting against a twisted version of that.
  4. NoStyleDutch
    Quote from: Stitch on Mar 26, 2022, 08:34:25 PM
    Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 26, 2022, 06:58:22 PM
    I'll say this much: If Vasquez was a mother, you wouldn't have known it by the way she utterly ignored Newt.  I'd sooner believe that Hicks was a father.
    Exactly. Hit the nail on the head right there.

The whole concept behind this book sounded bad as soon as I heard about it, because I could not put Vasquez and motherhood together, but I couldn't figure exactly why.

This is why.

She might just not be a great mother, or just doesn't care about other ppl's kids. Or she might be a mother but didn't want to be. I actually think these would be interesting to explore
  5. Xiggz456
    Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 02:54:59 PM
    Yep I agree, she very well could be bi...
    She could also be a lesbian who chose to have children. Lesbian and gay couples start families of their own too.
    The book isn't out yet, and we have no idea how the author has portrayed her sexuality. But ultimately, Vasquez's sexuality isn't I thing I see any issues with, personally. I just don't think the scenario described in the synopsis, that Vasquez had children, jives with what we know about her as a character and her personality.

I am happy to see the author chosen is a hispanic female. That sort of representation does matter. I really just wish it was an all new character rather than someone related to a pre-existing character. There's been way too much of that already. It's stale, boring, and outlandish imo. I like to joke that if "alien" was supposed to be "jaws in space" then "alien: sea of sorrows" is "jaws: the revenge in space." Isolation was great, but pretty much everything related to Amanda ripley since then has been subpar. Other stories featuring Vasquez's family have already been done too. How many times are we going to see this family-relation angle pop up?

Completely fair and valid points. All I can say is that sometimes I think that we put too much pressure on our fictional universes to be realistic. Obviously we all have different thresholds for suspending our disbelief and that ultimately factors into how much one will enjoy these types of stories. My recommendation (that I do with all new content): Hope for the best but expect the worse.
  6. irn
    Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 12:02:46 AM

QuoteIm reclaiming the canon and character
    When was the canon and character ever hers to now be "reclaimed"?

They're going down the Disney Star Wars route here of shrinking the universe and basically admitting creative bankruptcy by taking original characters that are already widely loved and making these related offspring/copies of them to basically rehash the same story over again.

If someone was really interested in doing a Vasquez backstory you could write a really good one set on Earth about her younger years and joining the Marines with no hint of the alien at all.
  7. Engineer
    Yep I agree, she very well could be bi...

8. Xiggz456
    Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:58:32 AM
    Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 04:43:49 AM
    While all those things could be her mocking Ripley, Vasquez has been often considered gay or at least queer. Goldstein has commented on it in the past.
    Yes, but it was also never confirmed; her and drake were nicknamed "sweethearts" while in basic to keep her sexuality ambiguous. Goldstein speaks of this.

She could easily just be bi. My high school's populace was majority Mexican and there were quite a few girls who got pregnant and then never dated a guy again.

I'm actually mixed (Mexican on my Mom's side and Irish on my Dad's side) so I'm just glad a Latina author is writing this story as representation absolutely matters.

Also shouts to Titan for continuing to step up the cover art!
  9. VN1X
    Man, everything I've read about this so far screams "avoid". The mere fact that the author went out of their way to tweet about identity politics is a big no-no. There's a time and place for that sort of thing but the last thing I care about in an Alien novel (or sci-fi books in general) is someone's skin colour or their sexual preferences.

At the end of the day we all die the same when we run into an acid bleeding monstrosity so... yeah. I'll gladly be proven wrong though in that it might end up as an amazing "must-read" Alien novel but so far I'm not really jumping up and down with excitement.
  10. BlueMarsalis79
    Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 25, 2022, 08:49:19 AM
    Quote from: CaptainViggo on Mar 24, 2022, 05:19:19 PM
    Yet another female character revealed to be a mother out of nowhere.

Yeah this also makes it feel kinda icky.
    Now I know why I feel this way, although I didn't realize why exactly, until Skhellter said so.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 25, 2022, 07:54:52 PM
    Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 25, 2022, 06:53:32 PM

Y'know, that's f**king fair enough.
    But even with that I do not think it is my place to say "you can't do this" as overall I do get the logic behind the idea, even if I think the execution's more than questionable both in terms of making Vasquez retroactively a mother, and with the combination of focusing on another daughter to go fight Aliens just feels like the most boneheaded trite way of doing this.
  11. Engineer
    Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 07:31:55 AM
    Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:58:32 AM
    Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 04:43:49 AM
    Still feels like a swing and a miss if you're trying to be progressive and straight wash what is something of a gay icon.

I'm not in disagreement, really. Just merely pointing out that there's room for interpretation on that front, but there's plenty of other issues that still makes it a bad idea.
  12. SiL
    Quote from: Engineer on Mar 26, 2022, 04:58:32 AM
    Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2022, 04:43:49 AM
  13. Gentleman Death
    I never thought twice if she wash gay...or straight...or anything honestly. Why do we have to put these characters into any kind of box. Basically, as much as I like her character, there's no need for a backstory, there just isn't.

If anything, create a whole new character and throw whatever you want them to be in it.

(I'll still get the book though)
  14. Engineer
    Eyeing ripley up and down doesn't necessarily mean it was attraction. Could just as easily have been sizing up how tough she was, which is more in line with her character tbh. Her sexuality was purposely left ambiguous.
  15. skhellter
    "bonita, hey?"

she's making remarks on how Ripley is pretty and she's full on eyeing Ripley up and down at the start. c'mon.

At the very least she's bi, but making the active choice to go with [oh she had kids] kind of shows how this book is going to go with any queerness.
  16. Engineer
    It was never confirmed that Vasquez was gay. That's not something I see an issue with. I just don't see how she could have had children and developed a meaningful relation relationship with them.
  17. skhellter
    Easy pass.

Things like this just make the galaxy seem so small:

"our new lead characters are RELATED to those classic characters you LOVE! and EVERYONE MEETS THE ALIEN!"

...and.... are you really telling me that Vasquez was ever attracted to men?  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Claiming Vasquez for "the straights" just feels like the exact opposite of how "representation" ought to work but.... whatever.

(Alien Isolation is good DESPITE Amanda being related to Ripley btw)

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 25, 2022, 10:16:37 PM
    The back-story given to Vasquez, as jenette Goldstein describes it in older interviews, does not jive well with what the author is trying to do here imo. Vasquez was a great character, But her history is not all that heroic. She was in gangs and committed murder as a juvenile (hence the teardrop tattoo). She had a life sentence in prison and joined the marines as an alternative to prison, but she was still a lifer serving in the marines. She always took point in her squad because she didn't care if she died. None of this sounds like a woman who had children and/or is anxious to get back to her family. All that aside, even if she did have children, going to prison at such a young age doesn't exactly allow for her to develop a meaningful relationship with her children so that they'd go searching for what happened to her when they grow up.

I hate to be a downer, but this is probably the least interesting novel Titan has come up with so far, and I really don't see how this is going to work in a way the feels as natural as isolation did...

exactly. There's no art here. It's just top to bottom fanfic tier stuff.

18. Engineer
    Quote from: Nukiemorph on Mar 25, 2022, 09:44:56 PM
    It makes perfect sense that Amanda's search for her mother could lead her to aliens. Including Amanda never bothered me.

Maybe this book will fudge a similar reason for Vazquez's kids to run into aliens, but it doesn't sound like it from the synopsis.

I'm definitely looking forward to Inferno's Fall more than any other upcoming books.

« Newer Comments Older Comments »