For the last year and a half virtual reality developer Nibre has been working on MotherVR, a mod to bring virtual reality to Alien: Isolation. Back in August 2017 our own RidgeTop dared to sit down and give an early build of MotherVR a go. If you haven’t already, you can check out what RidgeTop thought of the experience here!
Earlier this month Nibre released Beta 0.8.0 of MotherVR which amongst other updates, brought VR controller support to the mod!
- VR Controller Input – You can now play the game using just the Oculus Touch or Vive Controllers! The UI even updates to reflect the VR input mappings, allowing you to switch between whichever input device you want on the fly. For actions that aren’t commonly shown on screen, you can see what they’re mapped to for your platform at Options ->MotherVR->Input->View Controls. Because of the lack of distinct tactile buttons on the Vive, for the Flashlight I’ve instead added a gesture that can action it–just hold your right hand near your head, and press Interact. It’s pretty immersive, because you feel like your physically handling the Flashlight strapped on your head. This works on all platforms, but is required for the Vive (along with any other ‘Y’ mapped actions).
- Mirror View – You can now see what’s happening in VR through the game window. I’ve added a few settings for it, though there’s still room for improvement regarding the quality.
- In-game Settings – No more command-line arguments! Now there are a bunch of settings that you can change without leaving the game. Here they are so far;
MotherVR VR Runtime Use Oculus Use SteamVR Disable VR Rendering Mirror View [Both Eyes, Right Eye, Left Eye] Mirror View Symmetry Pixel Scale [0.5-4.0] Clip Blinding Input View Controls Snap Rotation Snap Rotation Segments Toggle Aim/Motion Sensor Dev. Debug Options Skip Startup Intro
- For Oculus – New automatic audio-device routing (no need to manually switch anymore), and the ability to close the game through the Oculus overlay.
- For SteamVR – Startup videos and loading screens now display in VR.
- And a whole bunch of other random fixes and improvements that I’ve forgot to include here.
Shevvie, one of our frequent community guest hosts on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast tried this latest build of MotherVR and we’ve uploaded the results to YouTube for your viewing pleasure!
Be sure to head on over to Twitter to follow Nibre to keep track of his progress with MotherVR!
Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien and Predator gaming! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums!