Latest News

Alien: Covenant Earns Estimated $42 Million In Opening Weekend

Box Office Mojo are reporting that 20th Century Fox has reported that Alien: Covenant has taken in an estimated total of $42 million at the box office during its international opening weekend. According to Deadline, Alien: Covenant came up as the number 2 studio movie in the international box office.

“Fox has finally sent over debut international results for Alien: Covenant, which released in 34 international markets this weekend with an estimated $42 million. The film was #1 in 19 of its opening markets including South Korea ($7.2m), UK ($6.4m), France ($4.5m), Australia ($3.1m), Spain ($1.9m) and Hong Kong ($1.8m). Next weekend, along with its domestic debut in 3,600+ theaters, the film will open in 52 markets including Germany, Russia and Sweden.

Here’s a look at the top performing markets and how this opening compares to Prometheus:

  • South Korea – $7.2m (+52.58% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • United Kingdom – $6.4m (-39.85% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • France – $4.53m (-38.41% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Australia – $3.09m (-79.40% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Mexico – $2.46m (-24.90% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Spain – $1.9m (-71.63% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Hong Kong – $1.76m (+17.24% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Brazil – $1.63m (-52.47% vs. Prometheus Opening)
  • Italy – $1.29m (-66.68% vs. Prometheus Opening)”

 Alien: Covenant Earns Estimated  Million In Opening Weekend

Alien: Covenant opens on the 19th for the United States and is currently projected to take in between $37-$40 million domestically. For comparison, Prometheus took in $51 million over its domestic opening weekend but had 3D tickets to bolster its performance.

Thanks to John73 for the news. Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on FacebookTwitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!

Amendment – Updated to correct the predicted take as being domestic, not international.



Post Comment
Comments: 207
« Newer Comments 12345 Older Comments »
  1. The Eighth Passenger
    I remember after Fantastic Four was released to a critical lynching and disastrous box office result, Fox just kept on smillin' and saying that a sequel was definitely still on the cards. Then a month or so after the home release it was quietly removed from their release schedule. Can't blame them though, they have to support their product after all.

    Quote from: Dino21AvP on May 21, 2017, 05:17:33 PM
    I think the foreign and worldwide totals will make it successful though, especially since it had a much lower budget than Prometheus.

    Only problem is that it had some massive drop-offs in the majority of foreign markets as well (compared to Prometheus). A massive 80% drop in Australia's opening weekend for example. The Asian markets are looking a bit better though, would be interesting to see how it fares in Japan and China.
  2. Ulm
    I can see this struggling to get past 85 mil now. Boxoffice Mojo is particularly user friendly when it comes to comparisons of other films opening weekends and how much they go on to earn. So search for 35-40 mil openers. You just have to select the 2017 yearly domestic screen and click on opening weekend at the top.

    You can select previous years too. Over 40 would have been great to get to 100m.
  3. Spidey3121
    Quote from: four eyes on May 21, 2017, 10:39:02 AM
    Perhaps i can't calculate but from what i read and understand deadline states Saturday 11:25 PM = estimated $36.1M. SUNDAY hasnt accurred yet nor is it finished and hasn't been calculated. Maybe they wont included thursday nights previews in the weekend total, but if you've read box office mojo before theres many times they dont include Thursday night previews in the total demestic BO, weird aye.

    So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?

    Quote from: broken back on May 21, 2017, 04:20:15 PM
    36 million for the three day weekend ?
    I dont understand ? can someone explain to me how, whoever is out there can proclaim these numbers ? when SUNDAY isn't over yet. As of writting this these are some of america's timezones

    Time in Austin Texas 11:10am  Sunday
    Time in New York     12:10pm   Sunday
    Time in California   9:15am       Sunday
    Time in Detroit      12:15pm       Sunday

    I would also like to point out Thursday nights numberes are NOT included in the 36 million and that prometheus never had thusday late night showing so if a comparison should be made, include the 4.2 million on thursday before giving up on this films chances of a sequel

    Are you the same person?

    PS: Prometheus did have Thursday evening showings. I went to one.
  4. AntJac
    Quote from: Robopadna on May 21, 2017, 05:43:47 PM
    Quote from: AntJac on May 21, 2017, 05:33:29 PM
    I think some common sense is needed here guys. AC was and is up against and was released in a time where all the major blockbusters have been and will be released. Bearing in mind it's gone up against one of the most successful Marvel films much anticipated sequel which is still taking in massive amounts of cash, on top of AC being rated 18/R, 36m is not too shabby at all.

    Fox will be pleased as Rated R films and Horror in general very rarely reach number one let alone number one in a month dominated by one of Marvel's cash cows.

    It went up against a marvel movie in its third weekend and barely beat it. AC had no real competition.

    Fox is not going to be very pleased with this OW. Plenty of horror movies and r movies open up at number one.

    Marvel movies are notorious for getting consistent BO takings for a number of weeks before drifting off. It's why the majority of their films take in obscene amounts.
  5. Robopadna
    Quote from: AntJac on May 21, 2017, 05:33:29 PM
    I think some common sense is needed here guys. AC was and is up against and was released in a time where all the major blockbusters have been and will be released. Bearing in mind it's gone up against one of the most successful Marvel films much anticipated sequel which is still taking in massive amounts of cash, on top of AC being rated 18/R, 36m is not too shabby at all.

    Fox will be pleased as Rated R films and Horror in general very rarely reach number one let alone number one in a month dominated by one of Marvel's cash cows.

    It went up against a marvel movie in its third weekend and barely beat it. AC had no real competition.

    Fox is not going to be very pleased with this OW. Plenty of horror movies and r movies open up at number one.
  6. AntJac
    I think some common sense is needed here guys. AC was and is up against and was released in a time where all the major blockbusters have been and will be released. Bearing in mind it's gone up against one of the most successful Marvel films much anticipated sequel which is still taking in massive amounts of cash, on top of AC being rated 18/R, 36m is not too shabby at all.

    Fox will be pleased as Rated R films and Horror in general very rarely reach number one let alone number one in a month dominated by one of Marvel's cash cows.
  7. dkwookie
    Quote from: Ryan741 on May 21, 2017, 04:41:58 PM
    Reading Collider Fox seem kinda pleased with the performance.

    I would imagine a sigh of relief after King Arthur. The fate that suffered sends serious chills down studio exec spines. 36m isn't gangbusters but it's not a dud either. It's weird but the difference 4m makes. It it landed the original forecast of 40m the press would be more upbeat.
    I would rather be in Fox shoes with 36m off 93m than Europacorp sweating it with 180m riding on Luc Bessons Valerian film. That one looks like a huge roll of the dice. I hope it hits though because it looks amazing
  8. Dino21AvP
    $36 million is kind of a disappointing opening but not a flop by any means. I think the foreign and worldwide totals will make it successful though, especially since it had a much lower budget than Prometheus.
  9. Ingwar
    I have a bad feeling that we might not see Covenant sequel. It's a lesson for Fox that messing with franchise and changing directions isn't a good idea. Alien in the title and on the screen doesn't guarantee success. I hope I'm wrong.
  10. Alexa431
    Just want to make a quick note, most of the showings for Covenant, due to Guardian of the Galaxy taking preference, are not in IMAX. That will of course influence the box office tremendously.
  11. fiveways
    Quote from: broken back on May 21, 2017, 04:20:15 PM
    36 million for the three day weekend ?
    I dont understand ? can someone explain to me how, whoever is out there can proclaim these numbers ? when SUNDAY isn't over yet. As of writting this these are some of america's timezones

    Time in Austin Texas 11:10am  Sunday
    Time in New York     12:10pm   Sunday
    Time in California   9:15am       Sunday
    Time in Detroit      12:15pm       Sunday

    I would also like to point out Thursday nights numberes are NOT included in the 36 million and that prometheus never had thusday late night showing so if a comparison should be made, include the 4.2 million on thursday before giving up on this films chances of a sequel

    They do the Thrusday instead of midnight friday shows (which Prometheus in both 2d and 3d had, I went to one of them).

    Estimates is what it is based on using advanced ticket sales and using average sunday drop off for opening weeks films that are rated R and grossed that kinda money. 

    Also remember Fox only keeps about half that money.  So $36m begins to translate to 18m for fox.  They make less overseas.  Though the huge tax break they got nicely offsets that.
  12. broken back
    36 million for the three day weekend ?
    I dont understand ? can someone explain to me how, whoever is out there can proclaim these numbers ? when SUNDAY isn't over yet. As of writting this these are some of america's timezones

    Time in Austin Texas 11:10am  Sunday
    Time in New York     12:10pm   Sunday
    Time in California   9:15am       Sunday
    Time in Detroit      12:15pm       Sunday

    I would also like to point out Thursday nights numberes are NOT included in the 36 million and that prometheus never had thusday late night showing so if a comparison should be made, include the 4.2 million on thursday before giving up on this films chances of a sequel
  13. cucuchu
    Hopefully the WW Box Office can carry the film to a moderate success. I am still confident FOX will let Ridley finish his series with one more film, the question is with what compromises? When will we know the WW results for the weekend?
  14. cliffhanger
    Haven't gotten around to see it unfortunately, it's only available here since 3 days and i want a good seat and the cinema's were completely booked.
    Which in itself is interesting.

    then again, reading the box office results is rather dramatic.

    I must say though, i'm not too influenced by it. I will appreciate a movie based on what i see, not what other poeple think.
    But it must be said, excitement rises when you hear box office sales records getting crushed, and at the moment, the box office sales
    are disappointing which doesn't really do good for excitement.

  15. Predaker
    Quote from: bb-15 on May 20, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMGood points and yes I am optimistic myself...
    Luckily there is so much going on in the movie that it lends itself well to multiple viewings.

    Yes.

    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMI want the next film to appease those with issues with it. Even the Xeno origin can be expanded, where as David merely copied an existing idea, anything....point it, the next movie can still follow the same plot line but manage to fix things.

    * Ridley needs to be true to himself imo.
    He doesn't over explain things in "Blade Runner", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
    - So, what is the answer to what David said in "Covenant"?
    The film theory which explains it is this.
    1. David in "Covenant" has delusions of grandeur.
    2. David in "Covenant" is a compulsive liar.
    * This tells the viewer that whatever David said about the xenomorph origins should not be trusted.

    * Scott has put ample evidence in "Covenant" about David's delusions and lies.
    Imo there is nothing to fix about whatever David said in the new movie.

    ;)

    Spoiler
    There is no indication that David is a compulsive liar, nor is there any good reason to believe he's lying to Oram when he outright states that he created the Alien eggs.
    [close]

    Edit: spoiler tag added
  16. Spidey3121
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/21/box-office-alien-covenant-opens-below-alien-vs-predator/#18cd77b45269

    Yikes. I guess it's in line with tracking & FOX's own public estimates. Certainly doesn't feel like anything resembling a win however.

    I'm scratching my head somewhat at what has people so confused? BO reporting isn't rocket science. The Thursday preview #'s are always included in the Friday "opening day" gross. Weekend estimates always come out approx. 11 AM on Sunday. The bigger the #'s, the bigger the potential alteration once actual #'s come in on Monday.

    Quote from: four eyes on May 21, 2017, 10:39:02 AM
    So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?

    First off, 4.2 + 15.3 + 12 = 31.5 mil, not 34.2 mil. Secondly: you counted the Thursday cross twice. No one is estimating a 1.8 million Sunday. They're estimating an 8.8 mil Sunday, considering 15.3 + 12 = 27.3
  17. cucuchu
    Quote from: Gash on May 21, 2017, 01:46:35 PM
    Quote from: gantarat on May 21, 2017, 01:28:04 PM
    Fox will make sequel even number not good in box office but not within 14 month because they need time to rethink about sequel.

    Probably they find another Director to direct it.

    Let's hope not. Scott was the main draw for me.


    In the UK I went to two screenings - nine days apart. Cinema was packed to capacity on both occasions. In fact some people in the queue were turned away at the second screening and they booked for the following day instead.

    Good to hear friend!

    That is what irks me about here in the states and the BO results. The opening night theatre I attended at a cinemark on their XD screen (their version of IMAX) was probably 90% full for the second screening and sold out for the first screening. Yesterday, at 3pm, the theatre was 75% full and people were already lined up for the screening after that when I left. So going by what I observed, the numbers feel like they should of been much higher for BO results.

    Still though, with looking at the numbers, are they really only estimating 1.6 million for Sunday? Cause they would just need to do 4 to 5 million (less than half of Saturday) to hit 40 million.
  18. Gash
    Quote from: gantarat on May 21, 2017, 01:28:04 PM
    Fox will make sequel even number not good in box office but not within 14 month because they need time to rethink about sequel.

    Probably they find another Director to direct it.

    Let's hope not. Scott was the main draw for me.


    In the UK I went to two screenings - nine days apart. Cinema was packed to capacity on both occasions. In fact some people in the queue were turned away at the second screening and they booked for the following day instead.
  19. Robopadna
    Quote from: juxtapose on May 21, 2017, 08:53:42 AM
    i would definately not call it a flop just yet . .36 mil is ok, but not great. .i knew it was'nt going to do major business in the us. .it openened in over 50 other territory's this weekend so lets see how it faired globally after the weekend. .plus their is still china and japan to come. . .so their is still hope i think

    36 is very very very low. It's not ok domestically. If it sticks to that number then gotg2 almost beat it in its third week.
  20. gantarat
    Fox will make sequel even number not good in box office but not within 14 month because they need time to rethink about sequel.

    Probably they find another Director to direct it.
  21. cucuchu
    Quote from: Ryan741 on May 21, 2017, 12:01:31 PM
    I just hope it does well enough for Fox to stick with the franchise.  I had a blast with Covenant and desperately want a sequel.

    Exactly... Well, we would know within a short amount of time whether Fox will allow Ridley Scott to continue his sequel. He wants to shoot 13 months from now, which means preproduction would be starting later this year, probably around October or so.
  22. cucuchu
    Ouch... Disappointing numbers. I hope Sunday sees an upswing cause it will need it to hit in the 40 million range. I was optimistic because I happen to like Covenant, now I am concerned. If it struggles to hit even 36 million this weekend, how is it going to fair in the coming weeks?


    Quote from: four eyes on May 21, 2017, 10:39:02 AM
    Perhaps i can't calculate but from what i read and understand deadline states Saturday 11:25 PM = estimated $36.1M. SUNDAY hasnt accurred yet nor is it finished and hasn't been calculated. Maybe they wont included thursday nights previews in the weekend total, but if you've read box office mojo before theres many times they dont include Thursday night previews in the total demestic BO, weird aye.

    So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?

    Good points... I know it will do much better than 1.8 million on Sunday. At least here the theatres are pretty active on Sundays.
  23. four eyes
    Perhaps i can't calculate but from what i read and understand deadline states Saturday 11:25 PM = estimated $36.1M. SUNDAY hasnt accurred yet nor is it finished and hasn't been calculated. Maybe they wont included thursday nights previews in the weekend total, but if you've read box office mojo before theres many times they dont include Thursday night previews in the total demestic BO, weird aye.

    So my understanding is this, Thursday Night 4.2 million , Friday 15.3 million, Saturday 12 million 11:25pm = 34.2 million. They could be screening scheduled after 11:25 Saturday night which obviously would not be included yet and of course SUNDAY, so like I said perhaps im wrong and point out if I am, but how could anyone come  to the conclusion it'll make a total of 36 million by the end of Sunday, that means it'll make 1.8 million all day Sunday ?
  24. Noah
    It's just an estimated number,even if I doubt it will be much different. It can still go higher,but nothing more than 37/38M. In any case,it's ok. It's a R-rated sci-fi with a 97M budget (with the Australian funds). It's fine. Everyone knew that it was never going  to do great money in the US.  It doesn't need the same Prometheus numbers to be profitable.
  25. juxtapose
    i would definately not call it a flop just yet . .36 mil is ok, but not great. .i knew it was'nt going to do major business in the us. .it openened in over 50 other territory's this weekend so lets see how it faired globally after the weekend. .plus their is still china and japan to come. . .so their is still hope i think
  26. SuicideDoors
    Quote from: Protozoid on May 21, 2017, 07:56:36 AM
    Wow, I wasn't expecting numbers this low. Its below AvP, even before you adjust for over a decade of inflation. Yikes. I think the next one is going to be an actual B-movie at this rate.

    There's a questionable lack of thirst for decent Sci-Fi/Horror in America. I wasn't the biggest fan of Life but it deserved to do better than it did, and Alien: Covenant is competently made and well acted, no matter what side of the fence you sit on, but it just hasn't translated.

    Prometheus scored a B, Life scored a C+ and Covenant scored a B among audiences. All middling scores and left eating the dust of audience reaction to the likes of Power Rangers and Transformers whcih scored A's.

    Hats off to 20th Century Fox for backing this one all the way though. It's received the most lavish advertisement of an any Alien movie. Hopefully they recoup some money internationally, hope is not lost there.
  27. Protozoid
    Wow, I wasn't expecting numbers this low. Its below AvP, even before you adjust for over a decade of inflation. Yikes. I think the next one is going to be an actual B-movie at this rate.
  28. bb-15
    Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 12:16:47 AM

    Quote from: PierreVW on May 21, 2017, 12:12:58 AM
    Quote from: bb-15 on May 20, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
    * Ridley needs to be true to himself imo.
    He doesn't over explain things in "Blade Runner", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
    - So, what is the answer to what David said in "Covenant"?
    The film theory which explains it is this.
    1. David in "Covenant" has delusions of grandeur.
    2. David in "Covenant" is a compulsive liar.
    * This tells the viewer that whatever David said about the xenomorph origins should not be trusted.

    * Scott has put ample evidence in "Covenant" about David's delusions and lies.
    Imo there is nothing to fix about whatever David said in the new movie.

    ;)

    I agree.

    It's very interesting that David sees himself as THE GOD and at the same time he forgotten about his favorites books and authors.

    Maybe David has Alzeihmer? ???

    In a way you're right, but I think it's that his A.I. is starting to have glitches.

    Yes. The idea of glitches with a killer AI was brought up in "2001" with HAL.
    - "Covenant" gives the viewer an interesting premise; what if a glitchy AI decides to become the evil god of the galaxy?
    The glitchy AI has a weapon of mass destruction, the black goo.
    And this psychotic AI (for lack of a better term) is trying to create an army of Xenomorph (or xenomorph like) creatures.

    What can be done about that?
    I'm looking forward to the next Alien sequel to find out.

    * And what will help is the low production budget and very good box office numbers (so far).
    It's pretty certain that there will be another movie in this series. Yeah!

    ;)
  29. echobbase79

    Quote from: PierreVW on May 21, 2017, 12:12:58 AM
    Quote from: bb-15 on May 20, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMGood points and yes I am optimistic myself...
    Luckily there is so much going on in the movie that it lends itself well to multiple viewings.

    Yes.

    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMI want the next film to appease those with issues with it. Even the Xeno origin can be expanded, where as David merely copied an existing idea, anything....point it, the next movie can still follow the same plot line but manage to fix things.

    * Ridley needs to be true to himself imo.
    He doesn't over explain things in "Blade Runner", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
    - So, what is the answer to what David said in "Covenant"?
    The film theory which explains it is this.
    1. David in "Covenant" has delusions of grandeur.
    2. David in "Covenant" is a compulsive liar.
    * This tells the viewer that whatever David said about the xenomorph origins should not be trusted.

    * Scott has put ample evidence in "Covenant" about David's delusions and lies.
    Imo there is nothing to fix about whatever David said in the new movie.

    ;)

    I agree.

    It's very interesting that David sees himself as THE GOD and at the same time he forgotten about his favorites books and authors.

    Maybe David has Alzeihmer? ???

    In a way you're right, but I think it's that his A.I. is starting to have glitches.
  30. PierreVW
    Quote from: bb-15 on May 20, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMGood points and yes I am optimistic myself...
    Luckily there is so much going on in the movie that it lends itself well to multiple viewings.

    Yes.

    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMI want the next film to appease those with issues with it. Even the Xeno origin can be expanded, where as David merely copied an existing idea, anything....point it, the next movie can still follow the same plot line but manage to fix things.

    * Ridley needs to be true to himself imo.
    He doesn't over explain things in "Blade Runner", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
    - So, what is the answer to what David said in "Covenant"?
    The film theory which explains it is this.
    1. David in "Covenant" has delusions of grandeur.
    2. David in "Covenant" is a compulsive liar.
    * This tells the viewer that whatever David said about the xenomorph origins should not be trusted.

    * Scott has put ample evidence in "Covenant" about David's delusions and lies.
    Imo there is nothing to fix about whatever David said in the new movie.

    ;)

    I agree.

    It's very interesting that David sees himself as THE GOD and at the same time he forgotten about his favorites books and authors.

    Maybe David has Alzeihmer? ???
  31. bb-15
    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMGood points and yes I am optimistic myself...
    Luckily there is so much going on in the movie that it lends itself well to multiple viewings.

    Yes.

    Quote from: cucuchu on May 20, 2017, 05:53:23 PMI want the next film to appease those with issues with it. Even the Xeno origin can be expanded, where as David merely copied an existing idea, anything....point it, the next movie can still follow the same plot line but manage to fix things.

    * Ridley needs to be true to himself imo.
    He doesn't over explain things in "Blade Runner", "Prometheus" and "Covenant".
    - So, what is the answer to what David said in "Covenant"?
    The film theory which explains it is this.
    1. David in "Covenant" has delusions of grandeur.
    2. David in "Covenant" is a compulsive liar.
    * This tells the viewer that whatever David said about the xenomorph origins should not be trusted.

    * Scott has put ample evidence in "Covenant" about David's delusions and lies.
    Imo there is nothing to fix about whatever David said in the new movie.

    ;)
  32. cucuchu
    Quote from: bb-15 on May 20, 2017, 05:46:38 PM
    Quote from: PierreVW on May 20, 2017, 05:24:22 PM
    Quote from: Ectomorph on May 20, 2017, 05:20:49 PM
    Very pleased to hear the film is doing so well - the worldwide numbers from last week definitely gave me hope! I'm rooting for Scott to make due on his promise to make six more Alien films now. I hope he has it in him.

    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-alien-covenant-opening-guardians-2-1202438525/

    40.2 Millions in USA!.

    Good news! 8)

    The news is very good. Here is what Box Office Mojo has so far.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alienparadiselost.htm

    QuoteProduction Budget: $97 million

    This is outstanding work by Ridley to keep costs low.
    Double this with a box office number (~$200 million) and the production costs are paid. (Studios keep ~1/2 of box office money while the theaters get their share.)
    - Next would be marketing costs which might be about $50 million. I'm guessing since studios rarely release those numbers these days.
    My guess is that if "Covenant" can get to $300 million box office, that it will be making a profit in theaters. (I've got formulas for this but I won't bore people with that here unless someone asks me.) :)
    - Then there is the money from streaming, disk sales, TV broadcasts, toys, etc.
    "Covenant" will make money and there will be another new Alien film.

    Worldwide box office numbers up through Friday;

    Quote(US):    $15,350,000      
    + (outside US): $46,668,253      
    = Worldwide:    $62,018,253

    ;)   

    Good points and yes I am optimistic myself.

    Those of us seeing the movie 3+ times certainly are helping :) Luckily there is so much going on in the movie that it lends itself well to multiple viewings. I hope Ridley Scott pays attention to critics though because while I REALLY enjoy Covenant, I want the next film to appease those with issues with it. Even the Xeno origin can be expanded, where as David merely copied an existing idea, anything....point it, the next movie can still follow the same plot line but manage to fix things.
  33. bb-15
    Quote from: PierreVW on May 20, 2017, 05:24:22 PM
    Quote from: Ectomorph on May 20, 2017, 05:20:49 PM
    Very pleased to hear the film is doing so well - the worldwide numbers from last week definitely gave me hope! I'm rooting for Scott to make due on his promise to make six more Alien films now. I hope he has it in him.

    http://variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-alien-covenant-opening-guardians-2-1202438525/

    40.2 Millions in USA!.

    Good news! 8)

    The news is very good. Here is what Box Office Mojo has so far.
    http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alienparadiselost.htm

    QuoteProduction Budget: $97 million

    This is outstanding work by Ridley to keep costs low.
    Double this with a box office number (~$200 million) and the production costs are paid. (Studios keep ~1/2 of box office money while the theaters get their share.)
    - Next would be marketing costs which might be about $50 million. I'm guessing since studios rarely release those numbers these days.
    My guess is that if "Covenant" can get to $300 million box office, that it will be making a profit in theaters. (I've got formulas for this but I won't bore people with that here unless someone asks me.) :)
    - Then there is the money from streaming, disk sales, TV broadcasts, toys, etc.
    "Covenant" will make money and there will be another new Alien film.

    Worldwide box office numbers up through Friday, May 19;

    Quote(US):    $15,350,000      
    + (outside US): $46,668,253      
    = Worldwide:    $62,018,253

    ;)    

    PS. I ran the numbers for a total budget of about $150 million for "Covenant" which includes marketing costs.
    The worldwide box office number it would have to reach with the formula I have is ~$263 million to definitely make a profit in theaters.

    SNL Kagan has a formula to show when a movie has definitely made money.
    It is 1.75 times the total budget.
    $150 million x 1.75 = $262.5 million
    http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/movie-profits-december-snl-kagan/
« Newer Comments 12345 Older Comments »
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube RSS Feed