Box Office Mojo are reporting that 20th Century Fox has reported that Alien: Covenant has taken in an estimated total of $42 million at the box office during its international opening weekend. According to Deadline, Alien: Covenant came up as the number 2 studio movie in the international box office.
“Fox has finally sent over debut international results for Alien: Covenant, which released in 34 international markets this weekend with an estimated $42 million. The film was #1 in 19 of its opening markets including South Korea ($7.2m), UK ($6.4m), France ($4.5m), Australia ($3.1m), Spain ($1.9m) and Hong Kong ($1.8m). Next weekend, along with its domestic debut in 3,600+ theaters, the film will open in 52 markets including Germany, Russia and Sweden.
Here’s a look at the top performing markets and how this opening compares to Prometheus:
- South Korea – $7.2m (+52.58% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- United Kingdom – $6.4m (-39.85% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- France – $4.53m (-38.41% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- Australia – $3.09m (-79.40% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- Mexico – $2.46m (-24.90% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- Spain – $1.9m (-71.63% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- Hong Kong – $1.76m (+17.24% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- Brazil – $1.63m (-52.47% vs. Prometheus Opening)
- Italy – $1.29m (-66.68% vs. Prometheus Opening)”
Alien: Covenant opens on the 19th for the United States and is currently projected to take in between $37-$40 million domestically. For comparison, Prometheus took in $51 million over its domestic opening weekend but had 3D tickets to bolster its performance.
Thanks to John73 for the news. Keep a close eye on Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest on Alien: Covenant! You can follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to get the latest on your social media walls. You can also join in with fellow Alien fans on our forums!
Amendment – Updated to correct the predicted take as being domestic, not international.