Aliens / Humans - who's the tougher challenge ?

Started by stickaround, Mar 25, 2007, 03:20:21 PM

Author
Aliens / Humans - who's the tougher challenge ? (Read 1,269 times)

stickaround

It has been argued alot about who is the tougher adversary and the worthiness of the preds who get to fight them. I just think they are 2 completely different propositions and both are worthy opponents depending on the situation and how well armed the preds are.

I don't think it would be a case of "you're not good enough to hunt aliens but you can take on any number of highly armed special units or drug gangs etc !!!" or "you kicked all those well armed humans arses but you're not good enough to hunt aliens !!!" I don't think it works like that and people get too sidetracked with the markings issue.

In an unarmed fight, the aliens are definitely a tougher challenge for the preds, but given weapons and intelligence us humans can be a handful too ! As for the blooding ritual, if the preds start off without their plasma cannons then aliens are tougher opposition.

I think preds would hunt both and just see them as different types of challenges ??

SM

Depends on whether it's hand to hand or ranged.

Aliens only have a short range, but are almost always deadly within that range.  Humans can shoot guns - but only at what they can see.

Newsfop

For humans, I think the real sport is finding the one that has become wise to the situation and is trying to both survive and stand up for itself also. I must say that the Predator in the first movie must've been having the time of his life when he narrowed his field down to just Dutch. It was game on it the jungle, a battle between titans. By the way he looked at Dutch's skull through the visor, you could tell he was going to very much enjoy killing him.

IZF

well we r better at ranged combat the aliens r close combat but the same queens r as strong as exosits humans soilders = alien soilders and arnold or danny = grid or someother important alien

MadassAlex

I thought it was explicit throughout most AvP media that Aliens are considered the most dangerous and thus highly-prized adversaries?

out-at-night-mostly

Alien is like the batman of the animal kingdom, a very violent batman that rip people inside out, blow brains up, born to kill for the first time they entered the world and survived a hot bath of molten lead. Can wall walk like spidie, loves to come out of nowhere, Usually come in packs and haz acid for blood.

So i say alien.

chupacabras acheronsis

oh totally alienz are teh best!1

humans(future) can travel through the galaxy in months when with present tecnology it would take MILLIONS of years to get as far as Thedus.

they can drastically change the atmosphere of a planet, infact thats exactly what we are doing right here and now with global warming.

and i guess those giganormous particle beam cannons of the Sulaco could almost crack a planet (Starship troopers 3 FTW) so i think yes, we are more tha a whorty prey.

Puks

A human with a minigun was a MUCH tougher opponent than normal xenos in AvP1. If he have weapons, we can pull off a nice fight.

Gates

Quote from: Puks on Sep 11, 2009, 12:54:28 PM
A human with a minigun was a MUCH tougher opponent than normal xenos in AvP1.

I don't think so...Blain was a big ass dude, with a big ass minigun (fake as it may be) and he dropped real fast, real easy...

As SM said two years ago, humans can't shoot what they don't see...

magical_boy

I think a highly trained and well-armed team of humans who know the predators' tricks would be the ultimate challenge, of course in close quarters using only blades aliens are without question the hardest if not downright dominant (AvPR aside), of course other predators would also be a tough one like what's going on in the current predator comic series

RagingDragon

I really enjoy Steve/Stephani Perry's breakdown:

The Hard Meat, the kainde amedha, they of the black armored exoskeletons and acid blood.
Dachande was the only Yautja that ever faced the Hard Meat unarmed and walked away...

The Oomans, toolfolk, with weapons equal to those of the Yautja, and were the ultimate pyode amedha, Soft Meat, but with deadly stingers.

This brings us into the long-winded, eternal and spiraling whirlpool of debate that is 'where the races truly sit in relation to each other.'

Here's my theory:  Humans are soft, easy, but can be strong, and most dangerous of all, they learn and adapt.  The right human will always adapt to counter a threat, to survive, and this also makes humans unpredictable.  You could hunt hundreds before finding the one clever enough or strong enough to defeat you.

Aliens, when encountered by Predators, always seem to be immediately engaged in combat.  They are highly lethal, very effective killers, and do not know hesitation, doubt, or fear.  This does not make them stupid, however, as the Alien is the ultimate survivor.

I know scores of people spit venom and cry foul at the notion that aliens aren't any smarter than dogs, (which is in another thread, I know shut up :D) but this is Steve Perry's idea.  Also, if you pay attention, this is only Dachande's opinion!  The Alien, when attacked directly, behaves much like any living thing does when threatened: it kills, or is killed.

I believe that the true horrifying intelligence of the Alien emerges when it is faced with more complex situations than direct combat.  In Alien, the humans didn't just run down the corridors in an attempt to engage it.  Dallas did, and lost, but this is just one of many examples of the alien being able to also adapt and overcome, to eliminate all threats and not only survive, but thrive

Perhaps Dachande had never experienced the true capacity for intelligence that the Aliens possess?  They don't make tools, they don't make complex plans, they just do what comes naturally, which is survive.  In the right situation, this survival can mean a frightening ability to adapt.

MadassAlex

Or, more likely, Steve Perry went on a gut reaction to ALIENS.

RagingDragon

I don't think that Aliens portrayed the Alien acting like a mindless, cannon-fodder idiot in any way, but unfortunately that's what a lot of people on these forums seem to think...  I remember the marines getting their asses kicked through the entire film.   ;D

"Game over, man!"

MadassAlex

You're absolutely right. ALIENS portrayed them as intelligent and cunning.

That never stopped anyone from going, "oh cool, a horde of Aliens" and attaching a mentality to them that was never even implied by the films.

RagingDragon

Quote from: MadassAlex on Oct 06, 2009, 06:01:40 AM
You're absolutely right. ALIENS portrayed them as intelligent and cunning.

That never stopped anyone from going, "oh cool, a horde of Aliens" and attaching a mentality to them that was never even implied by the films.

That's an interesting point.  Poor Mr. Perry...  :-[

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed