Anyone else think Jerry Goldsmith's score is overrated?

Started by Accaris, Nov 07, 2007, 04:52:54 AM

Author
Anyone else think Jerry Goldsmith's score is overrated? (Read 1,695 times)

Accaris

Granted, Alien was a complete innovation and scoring something like that was probably difficult, but I think Goldsmith is too lush and overwrought, bordering on instrusive. The best parts of his score are probably the parts he likes the least.

His Legend score is also highly overrated, I'm glad they replaced it with Tangerine Dream's track. Tangerine Dream added an airy surreality to the film that gave it the same level of weird as The Dark Crystal; that's what makes it endearing.

Goldsmith's stuff works where a certain amount of epic kitsch is required, like with Rambo or Star Trek, but he can't nail down atmosphere. He says it himself in the Quadrilogy interview: he wants his scores to be able to stand independently from their respective films. Sometimes, that approach is unnecessary.

The New Blood

Quote from: Accaris on Nov 07, 2007, 04:52:54 AM
Granted, Alien was a complete innovation and scoring something like that was probably difficult, but I think Goldsmith is too lush and overwrought, bordering on instrusive. The best parts of his score are probably the parts he likes the least.

His Legend score is also highly overrated, I'm glad they replaced it with Tangerine Dream's track. Tangerine Dream added an airy surreality to the film that gave it the same level of weird as The Dark Crystal; that's what makes it endearing.

Goldsmith's stuff works where a certain amount of epic kitsch is required, like with Rambo or Star Trek, but he can't nail down atmosphere. He says it himself in the Quadrilogy interview: he wants his scores to be able to stand independently from their respective films. Sometimes, that approach is unnecessary.

I think that approach is not used enough these days. Too many movies just have generic scores and it definetly hurts the final product IMO.

As far as his score in Alien, I think its very good, and definetly nails the atmosphere in most of the movie. Some parts do sound a bit out of place and intrusive like you said(like when the cryotubes open at the beginning and another scene when the ship is about to land on LV426).

SM

QuoteAnyone else think Jerry Goldsmith's score is overrated?

Nope.

Redfield

sry but i love film music, and this didnt excite me. now howard shore, james newton howard... they make good music.
this soundtrack is way overrated.

SM

Main Title - The Nostromo, Hypersleep, The Landing, Derelict, Breakaway, "I Got You!" plus all the stuff from Freud they used.  Brilliant stuff.

His closing title was fantastic too, shame The Romantic was even better.

Xhan

Xhan

Funny that Goldsmith wanted much more subtle pieces except when the Alien was encountered, and when the Nostromo was sliding away. You should be blaming the hack director and producers, not the composer.

The Chibi Kiriyama

I loved the score for Alien, especially when tension was being built. It's part of what gives me chills and still creeps me out a bit about the film even as a fan.

maledoro

It's a fantastic score. Although he didn't compose all of it, the Spanish bootleg CD of the soundtrack is a great listen by itself.

Accaris

Ok after watching A L I E N twice since I posted this, I have decided to recant my original statement.

The Alien score is amazing.

But Jerry Goldsmith is still overrated in the grand scheme of his work. My comments about Legend still stand.

That is all.  :P

Private Hudson

The Diesel

Quote from: SM on Nov 07, 2007, 05:04:44 AM
QuoteAnyone else think Jerry Goldsmith's score is overrated?

Nope.
Yeah, it's pretty awesome.  I still think it's one of the best musical scores ever made. 

gameoverman

His best scores were for Alien, Total Recall, Gremlins and The Omen.  I can't really remember any other good scores he did.

But the score for Alien would have to be his best (with Total Recall a close second).  If only he did more science ficton scores - he seemed to be very good at that.

The Diesel

Quote from: gameoverman on Nov 15, 2007, 08:06:40 AM
His best scores were for Alien, Total Recall, Gremlins and The Omen.  I can't really remember any other good scores he did.

But the score for Alien would have to be his best (with Total Recall a close second).  If only he did more science ficton scores - he seemed to be very good at that.
He did Total Recall?  Cool.  The score for that movie was pretty cool.

maledoro

His score for Capricorn One was excellent.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed