What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 150,726 times)

KillCrites

KillCrites

I watched AvP:R as a kid and really liked it, even though I see all of it's flaws now.

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: Serpent/Slayer on Jun 20, 2016, 02:10:30 PM
I watched AvP:R as a kid and realy liked it, even though I see all of it's flaws now.

I think it may have been AVP that introduced me as well.

comicsupreme

comicsupreme

I watched Aliens and enjoyed it so it got me into watching the other Alien  films. Then after I watched AVP I watched the predator films which I also enjoyed.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 31, 2016, 08:21:20 AM
Regardless of the quality of the AvP films, they did introduce new people to the creatures that have since found the better films.

Yeah, Im starting to notice that. Its amazing even AVP:R drew some fans in

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jul 02, 2016, 07:47:58 PM
Regardless of the quality of the AvP films, they did introduce new people to the creatures that have since found the better films.

I think because it was released recently and thus young fans that were born after approximately 1990 watched it(and use the web more then the older lot)this is my opinion.

Xenomania

Xenomania

It all happened in the mid-90s. Got Alien Trilogy for the PS, loved it and then saw the movies from TV.

Before seeing the movies, I actually thought that Ripley was a guy (since she has that Alien 3-look in the game). :-[ And I was surprised that the first movie of the trilogy didn't take place in the colony (like in the game). :laugh: Of course, the second movie was all that I was expecting and wanted at the time. ;)

And of course, many sleepless nights followed, fearing that a chestburster would pop out of me. :o

I think that's how it got started, more or less. :)

BR1XER

BR1XER

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jul 02, 2016, 07:47:58 PM

It did for me. I knew the two iconic monsters were iconic before I knew they came from separate series.

Then again, it sort of tainted my perception later on...

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomania on Jul 12, 2016, 02:19:44 AM
It all happened in the mid-90s. Got Alien Trilogy for the PS, loved it and then saw the movies from TV.

Before seeing the movies, I actually thought that Ripley was a guy (since she has that Alien 3-look in the game). :-[ And I was surprised that the first movie of the trilogy didn't take place in the colony (like in the game). :laugh: Of course, the second movie was all that I was expecting and wanted at the time. ;)

That is brilliant! I will never get over that game - still have my original Sega Saturn copy! - but hearing the story of actually coming in via the game and finding the films unlike the game is great! Thanks for sharing that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

I never played Trilogy, always wanted to though.

Would be pretty awesome if they decided to do a collection of all the old Alien games in one package. Pretty sure you could fit the whole lot on a single Blu-ray these days!

Xenomania

Xenomania

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 12, 2016, 08:09:30 AMThat is brilliant! I will never get over that game - still have my original Sega Saturn copy! - but hearing the story of actually coming in via the game and finding the films unlike the game is great! Thanks for sharing that.
No problem. ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 12, 2016, 08:48:14 AM
I never played Trilogy, always wanted to though.

Would be pretty awesome if they decided to do a collection of all the old Alien games in one package. Pretty sure you could fit the whole lot on a single Blu-ray these days!

I was surprised we never saw some of them emerge on the various marketplaces. It must be down to rights issues, with developers and publishers closing down.

You should grab a copy, HuDa. There're copies aplenty on eBay.

Prez

Prez

Firstly ... long post ahead. You've been warned.

I was a young boy when the original movie came out in 1979. Too young to see it but my elder brother saw it at the cinema. He had the (original) book of Alien and the Alien Movie Novel Photo Book (very rare but he still has it) and I would secretly devour all those incredible and horrific images.

So essentially I knew what the creature(s) looked like and most of the plot too thanks to these books before ever seeing the film itself.

My brother would tell in me in minute detail about this utterly terrifying film and my imagination would run wild knowing exactly the imagery involved. Back then (pre Aliens) the mystery about the Xeno was truly terrifying. He would tell me that the Xeno was able to read your thoughts and it was indestructible. That the idea for a sequel would be that the Alien didn't die but would eventually get inside the Narcissus and kill Ripley.

Oh and he once made me sit in the dark and listen to the original soundtrack too. Scared the crapola outta me. My brother, bless him, loved to torture me (that's what brothers do).

Oh the nightmares I had. This utterly hellish looking creature that could read your mind, had acid for blood, a tongue that shoots out with metal teeth, is 9 feet tall, indestructible, has no eyes and is virtually out to kill you viciously.

I eventually saw the move when I was around 11 or 12 years old on TV (censored to pieces because back in the 80s they cut the crap out of everything for general TV). It was scary but I must admit after years of build up my first thought was `ah that wasn't as scary as I thought'.

That was me in denial though :-)

So reality is I've been a fan since reading those books back in the very early 1980s.

I still remember the sheer thrill and surprise seeing the trailer for Aliens in the cinema. I had no idea they had even made a sequel (this was pre internet and also in Australia we knew jack shit about anything ... hahaha). And I got to tell my elder brother about it and he was like ... what? What? WHAT???

Hahahahaha.

The books introduced me to Ron Cobb and HR Giger. Those two influenced my drawing style a lot as a young teen. I think I would surprise my school mates (and teachers) by being able to draw biomechanical creatures and the Xeno to almost perfect detail.

I'm a huge fan of most popular sci-fi like Star Wars, Trek, etc but Alien holds a very special place in my heart even after 35 years!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That's a great story. I really wish I could relive that horror and fascination from childhood again.

Shinawi

Shinawi

Alien was the first scary sci-fi space movie that I watched. I didn't expect nor was I prepared for the horror while I was watching the earlier part of the movie. It was mainly because I hadn't associated a space movie with horror before. When I saw the chestburster, I thought, 'what the hell is that!' This is probably how I'd react if this was real. Predator also started that way. I was thinking of it as one of those jungle war movies until the sci-fi and horror part appeared unexpectedly. I liked how the game started out the same way. When I saw both the xenomorphs and the predators appear in the same trailer, I was like, 'yes!'

Bughunt

Bughunt

I saw prometheus, then my brother showed the part in Aliens during the hive ambush

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed