What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 153,768 times)

MaXenaeL

MaXenaeL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 01, 2015, 07:30:36 AM
I miss the old days of AvP and AvP2. So much of my time as a teenager was spent on those games! I can remember waiting for my energy to recharge in AvP whilst I sat reading Prey at my PC.  :laugh:

If you like the Predalien you should stick your head in this thread! http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=53164.0
Wow! Haven't seen it yet, but now I payed a visit ;) thanx for link!

Bodyguard121

Bodyguard121

I came across predator 2 one day when i was young and i really loved the predator.The trophies, thermal vision, predator mask...They all were awesome.After that i watched all the movies of predator i could find.After a while i also started reading the comics.Didnt like them back then.But now i am reading them all.

davidwasbetterthanbishop

I would like to shlay the first Alien film. Amazing design for the alien, and the movie itself was phenomenal.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Well, here's my long boring story of how & why I'm a fan. Let's rewind back to the 80s. My dad was a big movie freak (still is) & specifically for Action flicks. Well beings as my dad was an Arnie fan, it didn't take too long for Predator to come into my life. Thought it was awesome. Scared me as a kid but still loved it. My dad is also a huge comic nerd (still is) & he had a lot of the Dark Horse Alien, Predator & Terminator comics which of course I got right into so my first introduction to the Alien was in comic form hadn't seen the movie yet. Then there was the day Alien decided to air on TV. I saw a commercial for it & freaked out, I had to see it! Of course being at a pretty young age my parents wouldn't let me stay up that late to watch it BUT my dad was still nice enough to tape the movie for me so I could watch it the following day.

That's the "How" moment. My first viewing of the movie is my "Why" because of a total accident on my dad's part. So I'm sitting there watching the tape the next day, completely enthralled in what I'm seeing, my mind was blown the whole time, I'm scared but kept on making myself watch & then we get the Air Duct scene. I don't think I had even been as tense in my life as I was during that with Lambert screaming that it was right there & Dallas goes down the ladder, quickly turns and SCREEEEE.. BUT here's the accident. The video footage froze on that image for a few seconds, rewound a few seconds back, & replayed that Screee part one more time to send me in total horror before the TV went to snow. The tape had run out before the movie was over. My dad didn't check the tape to see if there was enough room for the whole movie but man was that ever an accidental effective way to scare the living shit out of me & I've been a super fanatic ever since. That's my boring story.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

That actually a damn cool story! I'd have been so bummed out at having missed the end of the film but for it to drop out at that exact moment is just perfect timing!

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 16, 2016, 04:10:49 PM
That actually a damn cool story! I'd have been so bummed out at having missed the end of the film but for it to drop out at that exact moment is just perfect timing!

Thanks man! It's a memory to me as if it happened yesterday haha Forever burned in my mind it was to have the movie drop out right there. I actually thought the snow was part of the movie just signifying Dallas was killed until I realized the VCR was rewinding the tape haha I was definitely bummed I didn't get to finish it at that moment but I was still very satisfied/terrified with what I got to see until I got around to renting the movie. I think it was fate or almost meant to be that I was going to be a super fan for these movies. My love has never faltered but only grown since that first fateful 80s evening watch & abrupt stop  :)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

How long was it until you finally got to see the movie in full?

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2016, 08:42:51 AM
How long was it until you finally got to see the movie in full?

I hate to admit but a couple years after that initial viewing. My parents were long split up by the time of that first viewing & I bounced
a lot between the 2. While my dad didn't care if a 4th grader was sitting there watching Predator & RoboCop, my mom back then
wasn't keen on renting me horror flicks so I waited until a few years later & rented that on some birthday year. So yea during the absence
on not getting to see the movie it was back to the Dark Horse comics which I'm a really huge fan of & still read through them fairly regularly
& playing with the Kenner toys.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Sorry to hear that mate.

Which of the comics were you reading before watching the film? Any particular one stand out in your memory?

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 17, 2016, 10:40:47 AM
Sorry to hear that mate.

Which of the comics were you reading before watching the film? Any particular one stand out in your memory?

Ah it's all good man, just had parents with weird ethics haha

For comics at the time my dad had Book 1 & 2 and Earth War as well on the Predator side, Concrete Jungle,
Big Game & Cold War. Those ones I think will always stand out to me & be my "fond memories of" type deal.

That's one reason I was getting excited for Neil's Alien 5 as to me the concept art was like seeing my life long
dream of those particular comic stories finally maybe being turned into a movie haha I also think the story 'Labyrinth"
could make a fairly decent movie too. I liked how that one delve more into how the Alien ticks. One downside
for me when it came to Prometheus was my conception of the Jockeys was from going off how Dark Horse
was treating them in that what ended up being just a helmet type thing in Prometheus was their actual head
in comic form so I was a little disappointed they turned out to just be 10 foot versions of us basically. Anti-Climatic for me haha

broughtpain

broughtpain

I got interested in the Xeno after I saw Aliens in the theater when it first came out. I got interested in the Predator when I first saw it on VHS(I think). My interest in the Predator Exploded when somebody explained the parallels and similarities between the Predator and Humans as hunters. That somebody had years and years of experience hunting many different species. As I grew up and went hunting myself, I began to realise I could relate to what the predator was about . The PC games are what really pushed me over the edge. There still is nothing like the first two. It was always a "hunt" that brought a sense of terror with it.

WY Corporate

WY Corporate

Well, my very first encounter with the alien was very early in the age of 10 back in 1994! It was when the original Alien aired on TV and I managed it to get my mother let me watching it ...  ;D

Oh, I freaked out on several occasions! It was very intense and scary ... but also so interesting! So I could stand it (and seeing Ash freaking out and spitting "milk" was so funny, I just laughed and that helped me getting through the whole film without shitting my pants  :D ) ... and got several nightmares within the next couples of days - always watched around my room at night, expecting the alien lurking in the dark all the time  ;D

2 or 3 years later, both Aliens and AlienĀ³ ran on TV and I really enjoyed them, especially Aliens! That film actually made me a fan of the franchise (although it was the film that made a franchise out of Alien at all) ... AlienĀ³ was not as good as I expected after the two great first installments, but still nice to watch (and hell, I remember when the guy fell into the huge fan - I laughed  :D ) But the real great deal was: just after those 2 films they also showed both Predator and Predator 2 as double feature just a week later! So I expected first just another Arnold Schwarzenegger action flick (in the manner of Commando or Red Heat) but then I saw skinned corpses hanging on trees and thought "Wow, those rebels are really sick f**ks!" - That's what the film made so good - you totally expect something different first ... but after the mysterious cloaked entity was showed the first time it was clear that it would be really interesting now! And hell, what a fun to watch! The guy who played the Terminator was punched and kicked through the mud like a punching ball  ;D never saw THIS again in another Schwarzenegger film! Great deal ... and with Predator 2, it was nice to see what kind of mess the Predator would do in a large city like L.A. - just perfect to me back then! But the biggest deal was at the end, when Danny Glover entered the Predator's ship and the camera moved over his skull collection and ... well, you probably know what happened then ... I totally freaked out again!  :D That was the magic moment, I was both at once - Alien AND Predator fan (since I always thought after the scene in Predator 2, that both are somehow connected in the same universe) ... so it was just logical to me to expect an Alien vs Predator movie some days - well, the 2 PC games came earlier ...  ;) I also remember, back in 1997 I stumbled upon Alien Trilogy for PC and it was just a must have to me and picked it up ... as I discovered and enjoyed the good old FPS games (such as Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, Blood, Duke Nukem 3D, Star Wars: Dark Forces and such) back in those days  8), so it was just a logical option  ;)

A couple of years later I watched Alien: Resurrection on TV, but it was not the same anymore ... I was just confused and disappointed ... Well, that's the magical moment, when a youngster learn, that new doesn't automatically mean better at all!  ;D
Instead of I got the 1999 AvP game for PC from a friend and enjoyed this much much more (even when Half-Life and Unreal Tournament were the better games back then  :D ) ... followed a couple of years later by it's great sequel ... Then in 2003 the director's cut of Alien ran in the cinemas ... It was a nice experience, watching this classic on the big screen! And it was 9 years since I saw it the last time at all  ;)
Around christmas in 2004 I went to an electronic and media store ... well, in the first instance I was about getting The Seven Samurai on DVD - but then I watched around and easily put the Samurai back ... and instead of picked up all 4 special edition DVDs of the Alien movies  ;D Well, the heart knows what it wants ...  ;) And the next big deal was, that in all of those DVDs were free tickets for the upcoming Alien vs Predator movie (along with bonus DVDs containing sneek preview and making of materials for AvP) - So I took 3 of them each (tickets and preview DVDs), gave them to 2 friends of mine (one of them got 2 preview DVDs and passed it to another friend of his later) and we all went into the film later ... the 4th ticket and preview DVD I kept for myself and they now lay in my AvP/AvPR double feature DVD box ...  :D

These were the wild first 10 years of me becoming a fan  ;D

Kaltes

Kaltes

I first got exposed to the series watching the first and second AVP movies (please don't kill me) several years ago and the Predators in general always stuck out to me the most, then I watched the first two and eventually the third. Though it wasn't until recently my interest was rekindled anew, now I've been trying to get my hands on any Predator related stuff I can find, namely the comics. There's just something I find so engaging, entertaining and fascinating about Predators and the universe they inhabit (I guess to lesser extent this includes the Xenomorph).

Now here I am.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Regardless of the quality of the AvP films, they did introduce new people to the creatures that have since found the better films.

Working Joe

Working Joe

I think "Everything Wrong with Mortal Kombat (2011 Reboot)" or something like that got me into the franchise. On one of the sins, he said that they really went all out with the Predator gimmicks. That made me interested, and I never got out of Predator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed