Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:18:10 AM

Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android?

Human
393 (59.6%)
Android
266 (40.4%)

Total Members Voted: 609

Author
Bishop in Alien 3 - Human or Android? (Read 359,714 times)

maledoro

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2006, 12:45:43 PM
Of course it is. We know it's possible and like Lemons said, we don't know if it's illegal or what in the future.
Most likely it will be. Each day, there are tighter laws banning it. If you want to take a sci-fi slant on it, why are all of the movies about cloning showing the horrors of it rather than the benefits? There is no practical reason for it.

This begs the question: why would the Company clone Chuck? (Please don't answer with something that had already been addressed in my essay.)

Mystic Lemons

Vanity?

Sorry if that's in your essay, I haven't read it.

maledoro

Quote from: Milo Minderbinder on Dec 16, 2006, 12:52:28 PM
What about a bad reason? Or a stupid one? People often do things for no good reason.
I won't even go there!

Corporal Hicks

Preservation. You saw how desperate Weyland was so that he'd be remembered. Michael could have just been his idea of living on. I know, I know. "Weylands already dead ::) ) but data is transferable through the ages and Weyland could have made a request.

maledoro

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2006, 12:59:16 PM
Preservation. You saw how desperate Weyland was so that he'd be remembered. Michael could have just been his idea of living on. I know, I know. "Weylands already dead ::) ) but data is transferable through the ages and Weyland could have made a request.
Already been covered.

maledoro

Quote from: Mystic Lemons on Dec 16, 2006, 12:57:04 PM
Vanity?

Already been covered.

Milo Minderbinder

Neither arguments have been covered - not from what I've read in that essay at least. Unless you consider the clone not having the memories or personality to have covered the arguments.

Statues are built all the time so that people are remembered and only rarely have more personality than the person they are based on.

And the other point about not wanting a clone of yourself to get richer or more famous than yourself - why wouldn't you want that? I wouldn't mind it, really. I wouldn't care either way.

And as a point of order - any chance you could ditch the smilies? They are really alienating and/or patronising. If in real life you kept on rolling your eyes at someone you were having a discussion with then you wouldn't remain uninjured for long.

Corporal Hicks

Indeed. I'm growing very weary of the patronising attitude towards this forums members.

The Ultimate Predator

QuoteIf in real life you kept on rolling your eyes at someone you were having a discussion with then you wouldn't remain uninjured for long.

Hahaha, quite true.  ;D

maledoro

maledoro

Quote from: Milo Minderbinder on Dec 16, 2006, 01:06:37 PM
Neither arguments have been covered - not from what I've read in that essay at least. Unless you consider the clone not having the memories or personality to have covered the arguments.
Quote from: maledoro on Dec 16, 2006, 01:00:15 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 16, 2006, 12:59:16 PM
Already been covered.
QuoteThe clone wouldn't contain any more of your personality, memories or any other part of your consciousness than a twin brother. If you are dead, how could this clone still have your memories (a big flaw in Alien: Resurrection), your ego or id? It would not be "you"
If you can't preserve your mind, what can you preserve that is you?

Quote from: maledoro on Dec 16, 2006, 01:00:52 PM
Quote from: Mystic Lemons on Dec 16, 2006, 12:57:04 PM
Vanity?

Already been covered.
QuoteIf you are dead, how could this clone still have your memories (a big flaw in Alien: Resurrection), your ego or id? It would not be "you"
Having a person that looks like you isn't vanity. Especially if there is a chance that doesn't resemble you inside.

Quote from: Milo Minderbinder on Dec 16, 2006, 01:06:37 PMStatues are built all the time so that people are remembered and only rarely have more personality than the person they are based on.
A statue is a far cry from a clone.

And the other point about not wanting a clone of yourself to get richer or more famous than yourself - why wouldn't you want that? I wouldn't mind it, really. I wouldn't care either way.
If you're dead, then it wouldn't matter. If money means that much, then don't blow it on such an expensive project.

And as a point of order - any chance you could ditch the smilies? They are really alienating and/or patronising. If in real life you kept on rolling your eyes at someone you were having a discussion with then you wouldn't remain uninjured for long.
Ooh! Easy! I've put down my elves...

Mystic Lemons

QuoteIf you can't preserve your mind, what can you preserve that is you?

People's memory of you.

Milo Minderbinder

Quote from: maledoroIf you can't preserve your mind, what can you preserve that is you?

Your body.

Quote from: maledoroHaving a person that looks like you isn't vanity. Especially if there is a chance that doesn't resemble you inside.

What is inside is a total irrelevance to a vain person.

Quote from: maledoroA statue is a far cry from a clone

Indeed, it's far inferior as a vanity project. A living, breathing version of *you* forever is far better than mere statues.

Quote from: maledoroIf you're dead, then it wouldn't matter. If money means that much, then don't blow it on such an expensive project.

You can't take it with you so why not blow it on such a project? A massively expensive project could be a piffling proportion of the overall wealth, anyway.

Quote from: maledoroOoh! Easy! I've put down my elves...

Ta, I appreciate it.

maledoro

Quote from: Mystic Lemons on Dec 16, 2006, 01:42:55 PM
QuoteIf you can't preserve your mind, what can you preserve that is you?

People's memory of you.

A painting or a statue would be cheaper and legal. Not to mention having a company named after you.

Milo Minderbinder

I think a clone would be more effective in preserving the memory. It can actually do things to make sure it isn't forgotten. A statue or painting can't.

"Who's that statue of?"

"Just some old guy"

The Ultimate Predator

This legal thing though is an assumption. They may well have legalized it for all we know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed