Disney Deal Changes The Alien Video Game License?

Started by Richman678, Dec 28, 2017, 06:17:00 AM

Author
Disney Deal Changes The Alien Video Game License? (Read 2,100 times)

Richman678

Hey so now that Disney owns the Alien Franchise do they get a say in whether or not SEGA gets to keep the License?

If they don't then how much longer does SEGA get to hold the License?

Hemi

I heard, since the buzz around the licence, that SEGA only had a certain amount of games they could publish with the franchise. I think those games were done. Zen Pinball was one of the first games/DLC that had anything Alien in it that wasn't SEGA related. (Though it did have AVP and Isolation stuff in it too)

I think it's party-done for SEGA for a while now. Maybe publishers are a bit carefull around the licence, since it is not a moneymaker as everybody thought (what you expect with titles like ACM...lol), and thats why nobody picked it up again. Dunno.

Chris!(($$))!

Under SEGA we got what....

Alien: Isolation - a great game
Alien vs. Predator 2010 - an alright game
Aliens: Colonial Marines - a terrible game

Don't see how EA could do much worse. As long as Gearbox Software never gets their hands near the game. I still can't believe how long we defended them for and then when A:CM came out so did the truth.

Hemi

You forgot:

Aliens: Infestation - a great game
Aliens: Extermination - an Arcade game...never played it

So thats 5.

EA making a badass Colonial Marine frag fest were they milk you for every penny is welcome at this point lol.

We're in Limbo atm. None of the Sega games had an ending to their story. It's beyond frustrating...

Just stop trying to tell a story and just create that massive fragfest.

Corporal Hicks

I don't believe the arcade games come under Sega?

PS. Extermination was fun, Armageddon not so much.

JungleHunter87

I know it's been a few years ago but what about AVP: Evolution? Was that a SEGA venture? I can't remember. I enjoyed it allot, even if it was pretty simplistic.

Corporal Hicks

I don't think that was under the Sega banner either. Just Fox Digital Entertainment.

Kailem

I'd imagine the Alien and (mostly) Predator appearances in other games of late (Call of Duty, Mortal Kombat X and Ghost Recon: Wildlands) would have been licensed directly from Fox then, would they?

Hemi

Well then.... 1 more title left then. Alien Isolation 2 please yes?

JungleHunter87

One of my fears in regards to this acquisition, is Disney pulling all previous FOX and SEGA related games and dlc off every market place. Like they did with MARVEL after they initially acquired them. They pulled crossover dlc like MvC3, which hurt that game since two characters were dlc only.

Leaves me wondering, if they won't do the same with ALIEN. PREDATOR and AVP related content? For example, unless you already have the Predator downloaded in MKX. You're straight outta luck.

lost dragon

Under SEGA we got Aliens:C.M, yet the unfinished RPG, Aliens:Crucible (Obsidian) was canned :-(

Apparently an Aliens RPG along the lines of KOTOR wasn't the type of Aliens game Sega wanted to release, but C.M was.

My very limited understanding of License Deals in the games industry, is that they are usually pretty specific.

Strict number of years to use the License , specific formats your game/s can appear on, specific regions etc etc(So when Activision annouced an AVP game for the home micro's back in the 8/16 bit home micro era, yet we never saw anything, my assumption was always that the license had been for specific time frame and specific hardware).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed