Engineers in Covenant

Started by predator2rules, Dec 28, 2017, 04:24:34 AM

Author
Engineers in Covenant (Read 11,477 times)

SM

SM

Similar to whiterabbbit said, I'd put it down to genetic jiggery pokery so the LV-223 dudes have great big pupils 'cos they work in generally ill-lit temples.

David Weyland

David Weyland

The Engineers flying the Juggernauts seem to be held in high regard by the Planet 4 City population.  There is the sound of cheering & trumpets when David's ride arrives & docks.

Scorpio

Scorpio

It reminded me of St Peter's Square or Mecca.  Thousands of people gathering for religion. 

And they just get wiped out en masse.  Very dark scene.

asil

asil

Quote from: David Weyland on Dec 29, 2017, 02:10:28 AM
The Engineers flying the Juggernauts seem to be held in high regard by the Planet 4 City population.  There is the sound of cheering & trumpets when David's ride arrives & docks.

Indeed. And come to think about it, what if these civilians are waiting to be selected and enhanced to the next stage of evolution?

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 28, 2017, 08:18:36 AM
Short answer is makeup job in Prometheus took many man hours so they probably made it simpler so they could fit it into the tight schedule and lower budget of Covenant.

Scorpio have you been hacked. Is this real Scorpio!?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 28, 2017, 11:32:35 PM
Compare http://tsminteractive.com/man-underneath-prometheus-alien-suit-hunk/ vs painting a bunch of bald guys white. It's a budget and time constraint. Not sure how it could be more obvious.

Okay. Let me break it down for you.

I'm not talking about the bare-chested uber-mensch guys, or the biomech guys, or the pilot guys.

The deleted scene of Prometheus shows us engineers in robes.

The robed engineers in Covenant don't match up with those guys. We're talking about different colors of make up and contacts lenses. Budget would not be an issue with what they changed t here. They changed the look of the engineers for Covenant for some reason. Painting their faces ashy-brown vs painting them ivory white isn't going to save you f*ckin' money.

Highland

Highland

It is if you're using Pound Shop chalk and Halloween Witches noses as opposed to glued on Rubber Latex with blue veins showing underneath. If they were meant to be different there would be some kind of scene or shot that implied that.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

I don't think they were meant to be different, as the narrative does imply it's them and so do the post-release interviews.

That said, I don't buy the whole 'budget' excuse either. We must be living in the worst financial crisis in human history if a 100,000,000$ film can't afford make-up and wardrobe for its extras.

They didn't even get the scale right. You know how, when they wanted to preserve the correct scale of the set in Alien but couldn't, due to budget, they used kids? And you know how when they wanted to fully recreate the space jockey room for the film but couldn't, due to budget, they made a quarter of it and made it rotate to create the illusion of a full thing? This film doesn't even attempt at hiding the so called "budget issues". Even the scale of the engineers is off. They're all the size of regular humans.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 29, 2017, 08:58:25 AM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 28, 2017, 11:32:35 PM
Compare http://tsminteractive.com/man-underneath-prometheus-alien-suit-hunk/ vs painting a bunch of bald guys white. It's a budget and time constraint. Not sure how it could be more obvious.

Okay. Let me break it down for you.

I'm not talking about the bare-chested uber-mensch guys, or the biomech guys, or the pilot guys.

The deleted scene of Prometheus shows us engineers in robes.

The robed engineers in Covenant don't match up with those guys. We're talking about different colors of make up and contacts lenses. Budget would not be an issue with what they changed t here. They changed the look of the engineers for Covenant for some reason. Painting their faces ashy-brown vs painting them ivory white isn't going to save you f*ckin' money.
o̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶f̶u̶c̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶y̶e̶s̶  take a look at this http://www.avpgalaxy.net/gallery/albums/movies/prometheus/behind/behind0764.jpg the engineers have much more substantial make-up, which probably took a substantial amount of time to apply, even without applying it to the whole body. Now, performing this procedure for maybe a 100+ extras would've probably been costly and perhaps more importantly, time consuming.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Come-on gents, let's play nicely. Even the non-uber Engineers still have a degree of prosthetic work on their faces. Exaggerated noses, chins and cheeks. It still costs. Then considering they'd have to be individualised for all the actors. It's still a lot cheaper to just paint them white. Every little helps, after all.

I know it's not confirmation either way but...

QuoteAvPGalaxy – Alien: Covenant briefly featured the Engineers that were the focus of Prometheus. Their make-up effects appeared different to that of the previous film. There seemed to be less prosthetics involved. What was the reasoning behind this?

Adam Johansen – The sheer number of Engineers in Covenant. Being the creature effects supervisor and focusing on the creatures/gags meant I wasn't really involved with those make ups. It was overseen by Conor, make up designer Lesley Vanderwalt and prosthetic supervisor Rob Trenton.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 29, 2017, 10:21:24 AM
I don't think they were meant to be different, as the narrative does imply it's them and so do the post-release interviews.

Yeah, I don't think they're meant to be different either. Just a less involved make-up effect.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Dec 29, 2017, 10:21:24 AM
Even the scale of the engineers is off. They're all the size of regular humans.

Yep. Many of the petrified corpses at the plaza are human-sized, with the exception of this one, from David's laboratory.

David Weyland

David Weyland

Could just be their shrivelled weathered state after ten years following the genocide.
The height of the engineers against what we see of the citadel is inconclusive in regard of scale but most of the architecture is all high ceilings and big columns and doors. They could still be 6-8ft tall. If You had a human stand up against them for scale in the bombing scene or one was alive later in the movie, the human would probably be shorter.
To add, the Prometheus Engineers were probably Super soldiers/Souped up versions with a form of Radical AI in their blood & would thus be more pumped up physically than the natives.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: David Weyland on Dec 30, 2017, 09:41:07 PM
To add, the Prometheus Engineers were probably Super soldiers/Souped up versions with a form of Radical AI in their blood & would thus be more pumped up physically than the natives.

Maybe they are replicants: "More Engineer than Engineer".

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Maybe the Covenant engineers were in the pool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcovHHOCtpQ

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 30, 2017, 08:14:17 PM
Even the non-uber Engineers still have a degree of prosthetic work on their faces. Exaggerated noses, chins and cheeks. It still costs. Then considering they'd have to be individualised for all the actors. It's still a lot cheaper to just paint them white. Every little helps, after all.

I know it's not confirmation either way but...

Keeping the production cost at the absolute minimum (below $100 million) was certainly a goal for Scott with "A:C".
Because of that, even with the underperforming box office, a sequel is still possible.

Of course perfect continuity is desired from a purist POV but in a franchise it's not always done for various production reasons.
For instance Star Trek is all over the map with various designs.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed