Engineers in Covenant

Started by predator2rules, Dec 28, 2017, 04:24:34 AM

Author
Engineers in Covenant (Read 11,459 times)

predator2rules

predator2rules

Why did the Engineers in Covenant look so different to the ones in Prometheus? When David unloads the virus on those people from above, they are engineers right? cheers

Scorpio

Scorpio

They don't look that much different.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

My biggest issue is the eyes, I loved the black eyes in Prometheus and really wished they kept them in Covenant.

asil

asil

Maybe these humanoids are engineered just like us living a normal life (remember wheat?).

Those in Prometheus are engineered further and further enhanced similar to android like David that can handle harsh environments. Probably they face the same God complex dilemma like David, stumbled upon black goo and starts their own creations.

I hope epic conflicts between David's creations & Engineer's creations will be next.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Short answer is makeup job in Prometheus took many man hours so they probably made it simpler so they could fit it into the tight schedule and lower budget of Covenant.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Prometheus ones were military. Young, tall and buffed.
Or "chosen ones".
Like how in ancient cultures young people who were in the prime of their life were chosen as sacrifices.

And there are the elders. Their appearance is closer to the ones in Covenant.

Those in Covenant were just civilians, hence all the different looks.
And, just thought of this, I think the reason they didn't give them black eyes is so we could see them look at the danger above them.
It gives their facial expression a little more depth and adds more to the scene.

Scorpio

Scorpio

We saw 4 different types of Engineers:

-Elder Engineers (the dudes we saw in Prometheus deleted scene, it's unknown what their role is)

-Sacrifice Engineers (these guys seed the planets)

-Military Engineers (these are the armoured up versions)

-Civilian Engineers (the ones we saw in Alien Covenant)

Kane's other son

Kane's other son

It was a budget issue. Unfortunately.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: Kane's other son on Dec 28, 2017, 10:11:50 AM

Yep, they could have approached it tastefully but the bad taste is prevalent throughout the film.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kane's other son on Dec 28, 2017, 10:11:50 AM

I don't believe it's been 100% confirmed but yeah, I think ultimately it came down to this. I asked a few of the people who worked on the film but no-one knew for certain but were pretty sure it just came down to the budget.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

I remember seeing an image of one of the engineers in Covenant with the black eyes on Facebook in one of the groups.  I asked if the image was indeed from covenant and the person who posted it said it was but they decided to change the eyes in the last minute.  Im not sure if that is true but if it is there must be a reason behind removing the contacts.   

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I'd guess to make them more visibly fearful when David drops the bombs.

I have a hard time imagining it was budgetary. Especially since we're still talking about coating extras in make up and wardrobe. It's not like that dissappear by a change in design.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 28, 2017, 09:51:22 PMI have a hard time imagining it was budgetary. Especially since we're still talking about coating extras in make up and wardrobe. It's not like that dissappear by a change in design.

The Engineers in Prometheus had more extensive makeup effects, mainly in the way of prosthetics.  Cheaper and easier to just paint them white and give them some cloaks. No facial or muscle prosthetics.

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 28, 2017, 09:51:22 PM
I'd guess to make them more visibly fearful when David drops the bombs.

I have a hard time imagining it was budgetary. Especially since we're still talking about coating extras in make up and wardrobe. It's not like that dissappear by a change in design.
Compare http://tsminteractive.com/man-underneath-prometheus-alien-suit-hunk/ vs painting a bunch of bald guys white. It's a budget and time constraint. Not sure how it could be more obvious.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Engineers on Paradise-Planet live there. Engineers on LV223 live in space for the most part. That's all I chalk it up too. If we lived in space for thousands of years with advance spaceroids and tech... we'd probably look exactly like the engineer on LV223.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed