AvP Requiem less worrisome than this

Started by happypred, Dec 06, 2017, 07:08:11 AM

Author
AvP Requiem less worrisome than this (Read 14,628 times)

happypred

The pre-release news about AvP Requiem (including the fact that it would be set in a hick town) had me less concerned than the pre-release news about The Predator. Think about that. It's all been downhill since Resurrection, many would say P2 and A3.

Shane Black is zero guarantee that this film will be good. He acted in the original film, which means exactly nothing. It's just a minor selling point.

He has no more respect for this franchise than any other half-decent Hollywood filmmaker.

I'll cross my fingers but things are looking grim

Ramjet311

Why are things looking grim? Because all the hardcore fans of the original Predator want it to be just like that?
Im sick of all the negativity, considering no one here has seen any footage, maybe wait until the movie is released to pass judgement. I am excited for this movie and cant wait to see it.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Ramjet311 on Dec 06, 2017, 07:15:48 AM
Why are things looking grim? Because all the hardcore fans of the original Predator want it to be just like that?
Im sick of all the negativity, considering no one here has seen any footage, maybe wait until the movie is released to pass judgement. I am excited for this movie and cant wait to see it.
^^This.

Let's just wait and see, people need to stop being overly dramatic. I have no idea how the movie will turn out, but saying Shane Black isn't passionate about this franchise is flat out bullshit. It's quite to opposite, and "fans" just need to realise that we aren't the only people who these movies are designed for, and people want something new and exciting and worth their time, same old same old won't get asses into seats, at least not enough.

We're in 2018, The Predator needs to compete with other current action/sci-fi franchises and keeping it down and low won't cut it anymore. I want to see the franchise live and breath and expand, instead of a small movie every decade that is being treated like the next Friday the 13th.

After AvP-R i thought we were going DTV, people were laughing over both franchises, now we get a movie with a very talented screenwriter and director and an upped budget, man, are things looking grim...

Corporal Hicks

Shane Black may not be a guarantee the film will be good but it's a solid indication. He's a talented and proven writer/director.

To be honest, there's just so much yawn inducing hyperbole about The Predator. "It's not really the Predator" - the last time you had a film that was "Predator" people complained it was a remake of the original (even though it wasn't). It's branching out and trying to expand which I'm curious to see how it all works out.

I've said for ages that Predator is immensely versatile and can work with that versatility, and that's something that I think is showcased immensely well in If It Bleeds.

It has the potential to be bad. As does everything. I think it's a huge shame that early script leaked because so much complaining is based on that and it's unfair because that script was so old by the time filming started. We've already seen examples of how things people are complaining and condemning the movie on aren't even in the first cut of the film.

For me, it's "fans" making the lead-up to The Predator not as enjoyable as it was up to Requeim. Plus, it's been somewhat quiet on the information side. I'm looking forward to seeing the trailer and seeing the finished product. If it's awesome (and I hope it will be, then yay) and if it's not, then that's a huge shame. But let's actually wait.

Original Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 06, 2017, 08:29:39 AM
Shane Black may not be a guarantee the film will be good but it's a solid indication. He's a talented and proven writer/director.

I get confused with this logic and have long thought this to be the "worst" argument for the "why" this film will be good.

Specifically the "proven" part.

His resume in general is limited at best.  For all intents and purposes he's a "rookie" in the scheme of things. "Proven" is a strong word and the last word one would use when it comes to the resume of this sorts. 

Lethal Weapon (TV Series) (based on the screenplay written by - 1 episode, 2016) (story by - 1 episode, 2016)

- Pilot (2016) ... (based on the screenplay written by) / (story by)

2016  The Nice Guys (written by)

2016  Lego Marvel's Avengers (Video Game) (story "Iron Man 3")

2015  Edge (TV Movie)

2013  Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game) (character: Trevor Slattery - uncredited)

2013  Iron Man 3 (screenplay by)

2006  A.W.O.L (Short) (as Holly Martins)

2005  Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (screen story) / (screenplay)

1998  Lethal Weapon 4 (characters)

1996  The Long Kiss Goodnight (written by)

1993/I  Last Action Hero (Video Game) (characters)

1993  Last Action Hero (screenplay)

1992  Lethal Weapon 3 (characters)

1991  The Last Boy Scout (screenplay) / (story)

1989  Lethal Weapon 2 (characters) / (story)

1987  The Monster Squad (written by)

1987  Lethal Weapon (written by)

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Original Predator on Dec 06, 2017, 05:07:58 PM

I get confused with this logic and have long thought this to be the "worst" argument for the "why" this film will be good.

His resume in general is limited at best.  For all intents and purposes he's a "rookie" in the scheme of things. "Proven" is a strong word and the last word one would use when it comes to the resume of this sorts. 

Lethal Weapon (TV Series) (based on the screenplay written by - 1 episode, 2016) (story by - 1 episode, 2016)

2015  Edge (TV Movie)

2013  Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Video Game) (character: Trevor Slattery - uncredited)

A profen director is not only in the number of things he's done, but the content. Lets take a look:
critically acclaimed and an action classic that spawned three sequels
Has it's own little fanbase, very fun movie
critically acclaimed, for me the best Iron Man movie
Critically acclaimed, fan favourite
Critically acclaimed, fan favourite

He may not have done many things, but the things he's done are great, and that's what it all comes down to.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

2015  Edge (TV Movie)

It depends on what criteria you are basing your opinion. In predator mythology criteria, Shane Black is not an absolute garantee of success. In terms of directing, it's the best we had since Predator 2. So it's a big reason to get excited for those who gives a damn about directing (like i do) and not only predator mythology. It's a predator movie, but first of all it is a movie. Putting cool predator stuff in a shitty directed movie isn't gonna work either.

KiramidHead

Shane Black is as close to a guarantee as we can get. He's written plenty of good to great action films, and hasn't directed a bad film yet. Yes, I'm counting Iron Man 3 as a good movie. :P And the only black mark on Fred Dekker's career (imo) is Robocop 3. Monster Squad is brilliant, and Night of the Creeps, while not really my thing, is a solid flick.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 06, 2017, 09:54:18 PM
Shane Black is as close to a guarantee as we can get. He's written plenty of good to great action films, and hasn't directed a bad film yet. Yes, I'm counting Iron Man 3 as a good movie. :P And the only black mark on Fred Dekker's career (imo) is Robocop 3. Monster Squad is brilliant, and Night of the Creeps, while not really my thing, is a solid flick.

I agree, Iron Man 3, despite some cleaving choices that didn't make me too happy, has some of the best directed action sequences in the MCU, and is by far the best DIRECTED iron man movie.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

2015  Edge (TV Movie)

lol trying to minimize SHANE BLACK.

What a writer has been credited on working on is NOT ALL THEY'VE DONE(uncredited rewriters/polishes, hello?), and even if this was all Shane did it would be impressive anyway.

you are not informed

KiramidHead

I should mention Black and Dekker collaborated on an unproduced script called Shadow Company, which is pretty excellent for the most part.

Highland

I think hes probably the best we've had in a long time, personally though I don't like his comedy heavy style, takes me way out of the movie. Iron man 3 should have had an audience laughter sound bite after every gag.

SM

SM

Quote from: happypred on Dec 06, 2017, 07:08:11 AM
The pre-release news about AvP Requiem (including the fact that it would be set in a hick town) had me less concerned than the pre-release news about The Predator. Think about that. It's all been downhill since Resurrection, many would say P2 and A3.

Shane Black is zero guarantee that this film will be good. He acted in the original film, which means exactly nothing. It's just a minor selling point.

He has no more respect for this franchise than any other half-decent Hollywood filmmaker.

I'll cross my fingers but things are looking grim

You've not indicated what the grim bit is?

Scorpio

Quote from: KiramidHead on Dec 06, 2017, 09:54:18 PM
And the only black mark on Fred Dekker's career (imo) is Robocop 3.

Nah, Robocop 3 is great.

happypred

Hope you guys are right...

After Ridley fumbled both Prometheus and Alien Covenant, I'm shaken

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed