Alien: Covenant vs Covenant (Neo vs Xeno)

Started by DerelictShip, Dec 05, 2017, 02:42:48 PM

Who watching ALIEN Covenant felt the film should have followed the direction of the Neomorphs and leftovers from Prometheus, instead of including the Xenomorphs in the final act of the film?

Covenant  (Neomorphs)
25 (61%)
Alien Covenant  (Xenomorphs)
10 (24.4%)
Neutral
6 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Author
Alien: Covenant vs Covenant (Neo vs Xeno) (Read 3,551 times)

DerelictShip

Just curious as to see how many people believed the Neomorph and continuation from Prometheus should have been the focal point of Covenant
...opposed to...
The decision to explore xenomorphs in the film, seemingly "forcing" them in towards the final act. So, FOX could ultimately title the movie an Alien film.

Take the Alien out of the film and we might have ended up with a sequel to Prometheus, simply titled, Covenant.

Scorpio

I'm fine either way.  I don't see how the alien 'ruined' the film.  They could have used a Neomorph instead but I don't see how it makes any difference.  It's not even the classic xeno, anyway.  Just more nitpicking.

Highland

Highland

I think they should have jumped on this "Universe"band wagon the studios have going on.

Subtitle the movies with something like "Alien Galaxy" like they tried to do with the Dark Universe in the mummy. Then you can play around in that sandbox as much as you like, shoot off into different things. It's pretty clear now that the studio messed up ( or didn't have) the plan with the naming, renaming and changing plot lines.

Then you can dump the Alien tag and people know what it is. It's pretty clear they went for the $$$ with the rebrand and failed. By the sounds of it they are about to do it again.

Scorpio

How about 'Prometheus:  An Alien Story' or 'Alien Origins:  Covenant'.

Then we can have a post-credits scene with Ripley's mother discussing the Colonial Marines initiative.

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 06, 2017, 04:42:01 AM

Then we can have a post-credits scene with Ripley's mother discussing the Colonial Marines initiative.

I don't think it has to be in the title of the movie. Prometheus and Covenant are just fine if you've already established that we are playing in the Alien Universe. The problem again is not having a plan. Prometheus was a fine start to all of this and then Covenant feels like they course corrected something that didn't need course corrected.

DerelictShip

As much as I love Ripley, I don't want any Alien film to connect to her from here on out. I believe that's a major setback in the franchise and why A:R suffered so heavily. Arguably A:3, too.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Highland on Dec 06, 2017, 04:45:18 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 06, 2017, 04:42:01 AM

I don't think it has to be in the title of the movie. Prometheus and Covenant are just fine if you've already established that we are playing in the Alien Universe. The problem again is not having a plan. Prometheus was a fine start to all of this and then Covenant feels like they course corrected something that didn't need course corrected.
Prometheus already established this. I would've preferred if the movies were just called Prometheus, Covenant, Awakening etc., for aesthetic reasons.

Jonesy1974

Ideally I would have preferred no Xeno or the Xeno only appearing at the very end some how.

I don't think it ruined the film or anything like that but think the overall story would have flowed a little better if the Xeno was saved for the final film.

Scorpio

If it was saved for the final film all that expectation would leave many disappointed.

Now they can just focus on the best aspects of the alien (the real alien, not the proto-alien) now that all the tropes are done with.

Highland

Na the pay off would have been bigger. Imagine going two movies with the "DNA" of the Alien only for the grand reveal to be the Alien that burst out the Space Jockey.

Now that woulda been one hell of a ride.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Highland on Dec 06, 2017, 11:23:15 AM
Na the pay off would have been bigger. Imagine going two movies with the "DNA" of the Alien only for the grand reveal to be the Alien that burst out the Space Jockey.

I think so too. If towards the end of Covenant the Eggs were revealed and the Oram chest burst happened or something along those lines I think it would have set up the next installment perfectly. I really love the film but still think this would have been a better route for the overall story arch.

TWJones

Quote from: Highland on Dec 06, 2017, 11:23:15 AM

Couldn't agree more...but you know the talks in those board rooms - it's all about the now, the attention span of the youth, blah blah.

A film series that thoughtfully and patiently moves forward to an epic conclusion will not be done. Which is a shame, because TV shows are showing that an audience doesn't need non-stop fireworks, they are okay investing in a story and characters and following it wherever it leads.

Scorpio

That's the formula of soap operas.  Is such and such pregnant?  You'll find out in the 50th episode, stay tuned.  Boring.

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 07, 2017, 12:20:20 AM
That's the formula of soap operas.  Is such and such pregnant?  You'll find out in the 50th episode, stay tuned.  Boring.

Like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings.

kwisatz

Like Oedipus Rex.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed