Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 241,198 times)

genocyber

The core of Alien was always about symbolizing the unknown mystery of space, and the lurking horrors that lie within it. That their is hostile life that exists that is far more dangerous and sophisticated than humanities darkest nightmares could conceive. The prequels neutered their existence as mad science experiments that we helped create ruined the entire mystique of them. Their origin did not need to be tied to humanity, nor did having another evil A.I. obsess over them. It's a retread of the first Alien film with the character of Ash, but more gratuitous. The character of Bishop was far more interesting than anything we've seen of David by far.

SM

QuoteIt felt nothing like an Alien film

What is an Alien film supposed to feel like?

Highland

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2017, 09:40:59 PM
I'm not even sure the structures are that similar. Perhaps you could make an argument that them trying to escape in Covenant, then having obstacles thrown in their way is like them trying to evac on the Narcissus. But there are similarities to Aluens in that they're going to meet a ship that's coming to pick them up. I started exploring the different timings of events in each film ages ago. Must get around to finishing it.

I also did a bit of this time stamp exploring, but only between Alien and Covenant. I didn't go too far either. Might be something worth looking at.

genocyber

Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2017, 11:01:31 PM

A haunted house movie set in space.

Scorpio

Quote from: genocyber on Dec 12, 2017, 11:00:11 PM
The core of Alien was always about symbolizing the unknown mystery of space, and the lurking horrors that lie within it. That their is hostile life that exists that is far more dangerous and sophisticated than humanities darkest nightmares could conceive. The prequels neutered their existence as mad science experiments that we helped create ruined the entire mystique of them. Their origin did not need to be tied to humanity, nor did having another evil A.I. obsess over them. It's a retread of the first Alien film with the character of Ash, but more gratuitous. The character of Bishop was far more interesting than anything we've seen of David by far.

Ok, so in other words you want this:

That's the creature from It!  The Terror From Beyond Space (1958)

"unknown mystery" -check
"hostile life" -check
"dangerous and sophisticated" -check
"origin not tied to humanity" -check
"nothing to do with A.I." -check

Alionic

Quote from: genocyber on Dec 12, 2017, 11:42:09 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 12, 2017, 11:01:31 PM

A haunted house movie set in space.

Covenant was a haunted house movie on an Alien planet.

DerelictShip

That was probably one of David's long lost creations...

Huggs

"What is an Alien film supposed to feel like?"

Well, this is merely my opinion. But, here goes.

Long Version: In the distant future, moderate to decently intelligent human beings on board a large ship/station (nostromo/sevastapol) or futuristic installation (not bedrock or cavemanville) encounter a dormant alien organism and become infected. They spend the entirety of the film being hunted by a rapidly evolving creature of a very hostile nature that is rarely shown. Its intelligence and movements are not shown and rarely discussed, and it avoids the light at all costs. In the style of "ten little Indians" the group of humans is whittled down to main characters, culminating in a slow-building showdown between the last human survivor or survivors and the creature itself. It is not necessary that any of the cast survives the film. Like jaws, it is the absence of the creature that creates the tension. The audience identifies with the characters, together in one room, while somewhere out there, something horrifying is building its home and thinking of ways and opportunities to violently destroy. The only A.I. present is of little to moderate use, and any hostile tendencies are quickly resolved and not the focal point of the film. It doesn't wind up fighting an upgraded version of itself (terminator) in a room full of stone and torches (scorpion king). There are no religious humanoid civilizations, no robed figures, no foliage, no planet full of questionable events and sights that are never questioned by the cast. etc. etc. It is teeth and metal and darkness.

Short Version: Well written haunted house film in space. There is no grandiose philosophical mission statement on who we are or where we are headed technologically or as a society. The characters are realistically intelligent and relatable. The film actually features the creature and it is taken seriously. It is a frighteningly dark and uncompromising depiction of violent interstellar contact with a hostile alien species, not the napoleanic aspirations of an over-eloquent and bisexual android. It is not the "David" show. It is an alien movie.

That being said, if these awful prequels must continue then I'm rooting for David and I hope he conquers the universe. Judging by what we've seen so far, the human species in these movies has become truly stupid and mean spirited, and must not be allowed to spread beyond the earth. All hail the king.

SM

So, the same thing over and over?

Deathbearer

Quote from: SM on Dec 13, 2017, 01:04:45 AM

Have we considered the possibility that this franchise doesn't need more films? That the story is over and there's nothing else they can do with it? They aren't ever going to top the first two films. It's not happening. Now it's about philosophy and androids instead of aliens and honestly I'm not sure how we got to that.

Alionic

Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 13, 2017, 01:14:09 AM

Have we considered the possibility that this franchise doesn't need more films?

Then why do you whine for more pulse rifles, action sequences, and Alien Queens all the time?

SM

Unless a series sets up sequels that are required to finish a story, no movie needs any sequel.

Doesn't mean they shouldn't make them though.

Deathbearer

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 13, 2017, 01:26:51 AM

Then why do you whine for more pulse rifles, action sequences, and Alien Queens all the time?

I have never whined for this. It's okay, you probably didn't notice since you gotta keep watching over your shoulder to make sure that those nasty Aliens-loving Millennials don't get you.

Quote from: SM on Dec 13, 2017, 01:30:43 AM

Doesn't mean they shouldn't make them though.

Alien: Resurrection might beg to differ

Huggs

"So, the same thing over and over? "

Not always. Prometheus didn't work. So they did it again, only worse. But there's a reason the first 2 or 3 films are as enjoyable and respected as they are. They had the right formula and they followed it. The proof as they say, is in the pudding. Alien and Aliens vs. Prometheus and Covenant. It's so one sided it's cruel. Sometimes a good rhythm is found, and it's not the end of the world if something stays the same. Quite frankly, as bad as these films are getting, I think they need to leave well enough alone at this point. The original films will never be topped, and cannot be equaled because every space movie has to be "interstellar" now, and screw the old ways.

Gibson's Alien 3 or Fincher's Alien 3 probably should have been considered the final word. But I'm just a person with their own opinion and a firm believer in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" school of thought. Gracious, the terminator series lost me when Arnold became the good guy. How and why that was allowed I'll never know. T2 was okay, but look at the mess that series has been in ever since.

The Alien prequels are like that. Prometheus was like Salvation, darker and different. Covenant was like Genisys, the android fight scene alone, geez. Which leaves the next Alien to be like T3, god help us all.
Anyone else remember Scott Weiland's solo album? Yeah, that's the David saga. Somebody with a desire to make money at Fox needs to tell Ridley what that couple in Planes Trains and Automobiles said, "You're going the wrong way".

Alionic

Alionic

Quote from: Deathbearer on Dec 13, 2017, 01:43:22 AM
Quote from: Alionic on Dec 13, 2017, 01:26:51 AM

I have never whined for this. It's okay, you probably didn't notice since you gotta keep watching over your shoulder to make sure that those nasty Aliens-loving Millennials don't get you.

I'm an "Aliens-loving millennial," you nincompoop; however, I don't want a remake of it.

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 13, 2017, 01:48:29 AM
The Alien prequels are like that. Prometheus was like Salvation, darker and different. Covenant was like Genisys, the android fight scene alone, geez. Which leaves the next Alien to be like T3, god help us all.
Anyone else remember Scott Weiland's solo album? Yeah, that's the David saga. Somebody with a desire to make money at Fox needs to tell Ridley what that couple in Planes Trains and Automobiles said, "You're going the wrong way".

Opinions. You have bad ones.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed