Does anyone else feel that the Neomorph is truly the perfect organism?

Started by GreybackElder, Nov 29, 2017, 03:00:21 AM

Author
Does anyone else feel that the Neomorph is truly the perfect organism? (Read 4,932 times)

Space7Horror

Quote from: necrotard on Dec 04, 2017, 01:22:38 PM
Also, I'm pretty sure neomorphs don't have the acid-blood defense mechanism.  I see a lot of people citing Walter's hand being burned off by acid, but I'm pretty sure the neomorph bites it off.

Though it is never fully showcased in the film that they have acid blood, (except Walters smoking hand) I would assume they do because from what we have seen whatever is created from the black goo has acid blood, for example the hammerpede.  Other than the hammerpede and proto-alien though we haven't seen any black goo creations bleed. 

SM

Fifield didn't.

And there's no evidence to suggest Neomorphs do either.

Space7Horror

Quote from: SM on Dec 04, 2017, 07:43:12 PM
Fifield didn't.

And there's no evidence to suggest Neomorphs do either.

I assume Fifield didn't because he wasn't fully mutated yet, as for the neomorphs I don't understand why they wouldn't but yah they didn't really show if they did.  The only evidence is Walter's smoking hand but that could just be smoke from the air being cold and his hand being warm.

SM

QuoteThe only evidence is Walter's smoking hand but that could just be smoke from the air being cold and his hand being warm.

Makes sense.

Russ840

I would go along with the smoking hand wound being a result of core temperature being higher than the ambient temperature and the possibility that the wound was self cauterising to stop fluid loss.

tleilaxu

Or it could be heat from damaged machinery.

Highland

His hand hisses as he raises it up - watch it again.

It's supposed to be melting with acid. Simplest explanation here is that the Neo's have the acid biology.

bb-15

Quote from: GreybackElder on Nov 29, 2017, 03:00:21 AM
It feels that the Neomorph is way more of a "perfect organism" than the xenomorph. First off, the life cycle is more efficient. Nothing is quicker than spreading disease than an airborne pathogen.

It depends on what is the measure of better.
* For wiping out animal life on a planet, the Neomorph is the better creature.
- Black goo infected spores would quickly spread through the air around a planet creating fungus (that produce more spores).
The fungus waits for a victim.
Eventually the Neomorphs/fungus will have done its job. All animal life is infected and eliminated. Then the Neomorphs/fungus will eventually die over time and with no way to get off the planet, their spread ends.

Quote from: GreybackElder on Nov 29, 2017, 03:00:21 AMIt seems that if anything, an Egg and a face-hugger just complicate things.

It is the difference between the more random reproduction of the Neomorph and more deliberate choices which are possible with the Xenomorph.

- The Xenomorph species has a Queen who can choose the most protected place to lay eggs, like near a nuclear reactor ("Aliens") to protect it from human attack.

- The Queen/Xenos/Facehuggers can stow away on a ship and strategically hide, place eggs on ships.   
The Xenomorphs can then spread through the galaxy as stowaways.
So, the Xenomorphs are taken to other planets and can reach other ships.

* That's the main advantage of the Xenomorph.
The Neomorph needs someone (usually the Engineers) to place the black goo in the air on a planet to infect spores. Then the Neomorphs stay on that planet.
The Xenomorphs will roam the galaxy.

;)

PS. I'll add a very speculative film theory just for fun. I'm not trying to prove this is true.
Could the Xenomorph place eggs in locations which may increase the chance of reproducing with certain creatures over others?
In "Alien 3" the viewer learns that a Xenomorph chestburster could come out of a dog.
Doing some wild retconning of the "Alien" Director's Cut (where the Xeno can transform humans into eggs), could the cat (Jonesey) have been transformed?
(When I first saw "Alien", I wondered if Jonesey had been infected in some way by the creature.)

- Anyway, could Xenomorphs make choices about what creature to breed with in picking out better mates?

SM

Quote from: Highland on Dec 05, 2017, 02:07:00 PM

It's supposed to be melting with acid. Simplest explanation here is that the Neo's have the acid biology.

The simplest explanation without anything to really back it up...?

Corporal Hicks

Aye, that's the only time we see anything like that. When Oram shoots it later the blood doesn't appear to melt the stone away.

Highland

Quote from: SM on Dec 05, 2017, 07:25:45 PM

Unless Android blood chemically reacts to the air ( not seen in any other film), why insert that sound effect.

I'll buy that it's a sound editing blunder though.

The_Foxcatcher

Quote from: Highland on Dec 06, 2017, 08:58:18 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 05, 2017, 07:25:45 PM

Unless Android blood chemically reacts to the air ( not seen in any other film), why insert that sound effect.

I'll buy that it's a sound editing blunder though.

I don't know why is this heck of a debate related to Walter's forearm smoking. The Neomorph bit it and it's the short-circuit which made the smoke. It was a subtle way of showing Walter's robotic arm.

The Neomorph didn't have acid blood. Oram shoots the Neomorph and then shoots again  while it's lying on the floor and there wasn't any smoke from the floor due to any corrosion.

It's an inconsistency originated from the amateurish mind of Michael Green and we have to deal with it.

SM

Neomorphs were shot while attacking people and they never got acid burns.  And if they just have acid saliva they would've made some effort to show it - like when it bit Rosenthal.

Stitch

The Xenomorph was never shown to have acid saliva, though, only blood. Saliva was KY jelly.

SM

Yes, but we're talking about the Neomorph in this instance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed