Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2017, 06:40:24 AM

Author
Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58 (Read 28,612 times)

FenGiddel

Quote from: Ingwar on Dec 04, 2017, 07:59:32 PM
It didn't say that he didn't earn the right. He did earn it and he ... wasted it with Prometheus and Covenant. Time to pass it to somebody else. It doesn't have to be Neill.

PS Scott himself muddied the waters.
Ah, c'mon, Ingwar! How about a more positive use of those words. Perhaps use 'wasted' in a sentence with 'Prometheus' or 'Covenant' to  refer to the level of intoxication one might experience from a drinking game that required a shot every time there was a 'that rat-bastard, David!' moment...;D

Ingwar

FenGiddel

Geez, dude: you play that one note like Walter without David's fingering. To the open-minded, I'd throw these in the mix: I was talking with someone recently about Special Order 937 and the new SO 931 we hear about in 'Advent.' I always wondered if there are 936 others. Or if it was the 37th in Series 900 orders designed for ET contact situations? That would be an interesting thread to weave in... Also: I hope Dan O'Bannon's love for Lovecraft's 'cosmicism' might've gotten imprinted on Ridley back in '79; the idea that ordinary life is a thin shell separating us from something so alien and abstract that encountering it would damage drive a person insane. That's the kind of 'engineers' I'd like to see... Sort of like SM's idea of the 'nouveau riche' (David) versus the 'vieux riche' (the creators of the alien of ALIEN). I'd say the potential for the prequels to waste the opinions of the naysayers is  v a a a a s t ...

SM

SM

That 'nouveau riche' thing sounds better than my idea.

kwisatz

kwisatz

What kinda buffles me is why Scott easily surrendered his chance on making a Blade Runner sequel when as of late he seems to be immensely fascinated with the whole AI thing (again) and instead trys to push this theme (which obviously is only a side theme in the original picture) through in a franchise where he knows that a lot of the fans and the studio itself are more or less interested in seeing only one thing return: the infamous Alien.

AI stuff and BR way better matches in my eyes. Im glad though cause i think BR2049 turned out infinitely better than Prom and AC.

Scott is such a veteran in his field, he mustve known the chances of a considerable public backlash werent exactly low, and above all else he mustve anticipated that sooner or later FOX would insist on reimplanting the Alien. And that they wont be happy with statements like "the beast is cooked" goes without saying.

Think the chance of a sequel under Ridleys helm are quite slim as of right now.

A little kitchen sink psychology at the end: I think Scott isnt very happy himself with the portrayal of the Alien in AC and is trying to distance himself from that part of the picture by coming out with these public comments on the subject. Im really getting the impression theres a lot of dissens going on between him and the studio bosses and hes getting more and more frustrated seeing his artistic vision getting burried under external influences on his artistic work.

FOX wont do another sequel with yet another Alien cameo and Ridlley prob wont be interested in another Alien focused picture and too old and resigned to compromise again here...

On the other side someone like DV is getting 150mio for a 2:45 R-rated picture and then FOX comes along imposing the Alien on Ridley again, demanding a roughly 2 hours action fest? Whyyyy would he do that-- Then again he seems to be the archetype of a workaholic so theres that.

Corporal Hicks

I think there maybe more than just it being about AI, he's probably taken with David as a character and with Fassbender as an actor. And I can't blame him.

Nostromo

Wow, this podcast is just too spot on perfect! A much needed and perfect rant! Haha Xenomorphine love this guy! You guys sure are right 500% on everything said in this awesome podcast, think I'm going to listen to it for the 3rd time. Someone wake up Scott! Send him this podcast and make sure he listens to it over and over again!

reecebomb

Agreed, very good podcast, but the director suggestions are very questionable to put it lightly.

DerelictShip

I really like that (I forget who) brought up Pandorum. Thought that was a super underrated sci fi thriller, and if anyone bothers to watch it please do. Ignore all the reviews and critics, it scores pretty low there, but overall I thought the story was great and it was pretty suspenseful.

reecebomb

reecebomb

I thought Pandorum was just ok, not as bad as it's reputation (actually it's reputation isn't too bad these days)
but nowhere near the quality of the original Alien films. I'd say it's on par with Covenant, but Alien film standard should be way higher than that or it's just not worth it. We can always have the AvP for the run in the mill stuff.

DerelictShip

That's only if you compare it to Alien, though. I think the film really did great for what it was trying to do. Still had it's fair share of sub par moments, too.
Like one of the first few scenes...
Spoiler

...if I recall correctly there was a good build up to that point.

reecebomb

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 08, 2017, 06:44:18 PM
That's only if you compare it to Alien, though. I think the film really did great for what it was trying to do. Still had it's fair share of sub par moments, too.
Like one of the first few scenes...
Spoiler

...if I recall correctly there was a good build up to that point.

It's way below the quality of the original Alien trilogy or The Thing, sadly not many great sci-fi horror films made out there. Pandorum is certainly one of the better ones made in the last decade, which isn't saying much. I remember liking it, it was a very watchable low budget space horror with some good moments and like you've said a fair shair of sub par moments. But that's not something Alien franchise really needs. I was really surprised to find out that Pandorum is nowadays actually better regarded by the audience than Covenant. IMDB 6.8 vs 6.5 for Covenant, Letterboxd score for both. is 3.0 and Covenant seems to be dropping fast.
Pandorums metacritic score is 28, the score i feel Covenant really deserves.

DerelictShip

All in all, definitely still a recommended film by me. Not many films, like you said, execute the sci fi horror in the last decade like this one.

reecebomb

Quote from: DerelictShip on Dec 09, 2017, 02:10:28 AM
All in all, definitely still a recommended film by me. Not many films, like you said, execute the sci fi horror in the last decade like this one.

For anybody interested in space horror i would definitely recommend it, the rest can skip it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed