Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2017, 06:40:24 AM

Author
Is The Beast Cooked? (And Alien and Predator Under The House That Mickey Built) - AvPGalaxy Podcast #58 (Read 29,285 times)

Huggs

"With these guys"

Or the crew from the Raid movies. The graceful and fluidic movements of the A.I. versus the lightning fists of Mad Dog!

"David shaped toilet bowl"

I'll take one. But only if it says "that's the spirit", "is that how it's done?"  or my favorite "try harder" when you use it. And it better be the Peter Weyland signature series, not some refurb from the bargain mart.  ;)

Scorpio

Quote from: GreybackElder on Nov 23, 2017, 02:15:51 AM
I've always felt the alien was an ancient horror found in the furthest reaches of space.

Prometheus clearly states that the alien (or it's relative) IS ancient.
They were created by the Engineers instead of evolving naturally.
They do come from the furthest reaches of space.

GreybackElder

Quote from: Scorpio on Nov 23, 2017, 02:59:49 AM
I've always felt the alien was an ancient horror found in the furthest reaches of space.

Where do they say that? About the Deacon?

skhellter

skhellter

The Neomorphs/Deacons have the backstory that the fanbase has always wanted for the Alien.
Creations of an ancient alien species. A bioweapon meant to wipe out entire planets.
The means of spreading them throughout a planet turned out to be much smarter than the
slightly comical image of a bomber dropping alien eggs.

In an unexpected twist, the Alien itself turned out to be a recent "offshoot" of a much older bioweapon.
I can live with that.

Here's the thing, though.
David is only an "imitation" of a human being.
He's less human than the Engineers ever where.

I wonder if Ridley will have David abandon his damaged
"human looks" for good in the sequel...

He wont be the Space Jockey in that seat. That makes 0 sense...
But he'll be... different, for sure. Maybe a lot more biomechanical.

Highland

I never understood the "doesn't everyone want their parents dead" line. I can't even put myself in somebody else's shoes to understand it either. Just weird.

Scott always said the Derilict was a bomber. He's changed his mind more than my wife at a shoe shop. That's what happens when you just make stuff up. Lucas made a lot of stuff up, but at least he had the bones of a story.

Right now there's probably 8 writers pitching Covenant 2.

SM

SM

Quote from: GreybackElder on Nov 23, 2017, 03:16:28 AM

If Planet 4 is their homeworld - that's not very far.

Not sure about the rest.  You could make an argument that the creatures on the mural were 2000 years old.

Or it could be the same as Egyptian depictions of Osiris or Horus - things that don't actually exist.

QuoteI never understood the "doesn't everyone want their parents dead" line. I can't even put myself in somebody else's shoes to understand it either. Just weird.

It makes sense if his primary role model for father-child relationships is Weyland and Vickers.  It makes even more sense when you factor in the first scene of Covenant.

skhellter

skhellter

The common theme between these 2 films is that children...
tend to be as f**ked up as their parents.

Quote from: Highland on Nov 23, 2017, 03:34:29 AM
Right now there's probably 8 writers pitching Covenant 2.

John Logan at the moment.

Maybe Michael Green will take a pass.

Highland

Quote from: SM on Nov 23, 2017, 03:37:55 AM
Quote from: GreybackElder on Nov 23, 2017, 03:16:28 AM

Not sure about the rest.  You could make an argument that the creatures on the mural were 2000 years old.

Or it could be the same as Egyptian depictions of Osiris or Horus - things that don't actually exist.

QuoteI never understood the "doesn't everyone want their parents dead" line. I can't even put myself in somebody else's shoes to understand it either. Just weird.

It makes sense if his primary role model for father-child relationships is Weyland and Vickers.  It makes even more sense when you factor in the first scene of Covenant.

Well only if you mean that he's not aware that nobody else thinks like that.

SM

SM

Possibly.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Nov 23, 2017, 03:37:55 AM

7 light years from Earth is not far, on a cosmic scale, you are right about that.  Assuming the Covenant can travel at the speed of light.

The furthest reach of space would be at the edge of the observable universe.

Kurai

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 23, 2017, 02:30:49 AM
I'll take one. But only if it says "that's the spirit", "is that how it's done?"  or my favorite "try harder" when you use it. And it better be the Peter Weyland signature series, not some refurb from the bargain mart.  ;)

I was so disappointed that Oram didn't say "It hurts!" when the Chestburster started, only for David to reply: "The trick, William Potter, is not minding it hurts."  :D

Alionic

Quote from: Dabaus on Nov 23, 2017, 01:05:33 AM
@ SM:
Believe it or not you can be a fan of something but not love the current direction it's going. I hate the phantom menace but still love Star Wars. I love all the alien movies including Prometheus. Alien covenant is in my opinion an absolute pile of trash. If your fine that David is the creator of the alien retconning 20 plus years of lore, be it extended universe or interviews Ridley himself stated  in the past good for you. I care about the franchise, as I'm sure you do too, so it performing badly at the box office matters. Fans opinions matter because they're the ones who go to the movies. If your happy with with the prequels trajectory good for you. Happy thanksgiving to yours and yours.

lol

The Alien was always considered to be a bioweapon created by the Space Jockey — now Engineers — since ALIEN 1979. They still pretty much are; David merely modified the Neomorphs/Deacons from the black goo into the classic Alien.

SM

SM

Aliens being a created bioweapon was a single theory.

Scorpio

"I was amazed that no one asked me about this mysterious element of the film, but if you would have asked me in 1978, I would have gladly explained that, in my mind, all this alien ship could be was a battleship...they missed one of the biggest questions of all, which is: who's the big guy? Who's flying the ship, basically? And where are they going? And with what? Why that cargo?"

Read more: http://www.alien-covenant.com/topic/45676#ixzz4zJGsZIKg
Follow us: @Scifiedcom on Twitter | Scifiedcom on Facebook

GreybackElder

Quote from: Alionic on Nov 24, 2017, 01:14:49 AM
Quote from: Dabaus on Nov 23, 2017, 01:05:33 AM
@ SM:
Believe it or not you can be a fan of something but not love the current direction it's going. I hate the phantom menace but still love Star Wars. I love all the alien movies including Prometheus. Alien covenant is in my opinion an absolute pile of trash. If your fine that David is the creator of the alien retconning 20 plus years of lore, be it extended universe or interviews Ridley himself stated  in the past good for you. I care about the franchise, as I'm sure you do too, so it performing badly at the box office matters. Fans opinions matter because they're the ones who go to the movies. If your happy with with the prequels trajectory good for you. Happy thanksgiving to yours and yours.

lol

The Alien was always considered to be a bioweapon created by the Space Jockey — now Engineers — since ALIEN 1979. They still pretty much are; David merely modified the Neomorphs/Deacons from the black goo into the classic Alien.
Where was it stated that the Alien was 'always' a bioweapon? I've only heard that since the rectonning due to Prometheus. I'd love to hear it from Ridley if you can find a link? It just seems like he makes it up as he goes!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed