Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,774 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 20, 2017, 04:56:09 AM
A lot of talented people worked on Prometheus and Alien Covenant too, you know.

It's not like Alien was a collaborative effort but Prometheus/Covenant is 100% Ridley.

Damn right there were many talented people working on the prequels but they weren't the ones in the driving seat. Scott has far more sway than he used to. People don't vito his "bad ideas" like they used to - like that bites off Ripley's head and talks ending for Alien.

The narrative of these prequels is pretty much coming from Ridley. He's calling the shots. We may get the odd studio mandated thing (the Alien in Covenant) but he's the one dictating where the story is going, he's the one telling the writers what to do. Scott isn't a writer. His writers aren't telling him what is a bad idea and if he is, they're not being listened too. Lindelof and warning Scott about the lack of clarity with Prometheus, Spaihts having to figure out how to include Scott's random ideas into Engineers.

QuoteMaybe the intention is to downplay Ridley Scott's role in crafting the original Alien, because of all the vitriol for the prequels.

Not at all. Just to remind people that Alien's success doesn't lie all on Scott's shoulders. He didn't enjoy the influence he has now, back then.

OpenMaw

Ridley has a head full of great ideas. The problem is you can't throw all the ingredients into the pot and expect a five star dish.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Why can't Disney hire James Cameron to make a new Aliens film? I would like to see Neil Blomkamps Alien movie too. I wonder why James Cameron feel's the need to make 4 Avatar sequel's.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2017, 08:35:37 AM
Damn right there were many talented people working on the prequels but they weren't the ones in the driving seat. Scott has far more sway than he used to. People don't vito his "bad ideas" like they used to - like that bites off Ripley's head and talks ending for Alien.

The narrative of these prequels is pretty much coming from Ridley. He's calling the shots. We may get the odd studio mandated thing (the Alien in Covenant) but he's the one dictating where the story is going, he's the one telling the writers what to do. Scott isn't a writer. His writers aren't telling him what is a bad idea and if he is, they're not being listened too. Lindelof and warning Scott about the lack of clarity with Prometheus, Spaihts having to figure out how to include Scott's random ideas into Engineers.

You've nailed it exactly. Ridley Scott isn't a writer but the way he develops his scripts nowadays he might as well be picking up a pen and writing it himself.

And when he doesn't actually develop the script himself you get The Martian (92% RT) and All the Money in the World (90% RT). Or Alien and Blade Runner, back in the day when he wasn't yet a victim of his own immense success and writers and producers still had the guts to say no to his iffy story ideas.

People don't vito his "bad ideas" like they used to - like that bites off Ripley's head and talks ending for Alien.

Or Ash the Martian!  :laugh:

NetworkATTH

For all the people wondering if Disney is going to completely rule out the idea of making an R film, you're wrong. It also bought Fox Searchlight, the "independent" movie portion of Fox. The part that produced Juno, Birdman, and particularly, Black Swan. I don't see this as a move of Disney moving to continue to go down the course of just producing media for children and teenagers.

I really believe they want a piece of the pie for adults as well. I mean why would Fox Searchlight be part of the deal if they didn't?

Alionic

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 20, 2017, 04:56:09 AM
A lot of talented people worked on Prometheus and Alien Covenant too, you know.

It's not like Alien was a collaborative effort but Prometheus/Covenant is 100% Ridley.

QuoteMaybe the intention is to downplay Ridley Scott's role in crafting the original Alien, because of all the vitriol for the prequels.

Not at all. Just to remind people that Alien's success doesn't lie all on Scott's shoulders. He didn't enjoy the influence he has now, back then.

Scott told Lindelof to these some plot points ambiguous (mysterious), because he felt it was more interesting that way.

SM

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Dec 20, 2017, 05:14:22 PM
For all the people wondering if Disney is going to completely rule out the idea of making an R film, you're wrong. It also bought Fox Searchlight, the "independent" movie portion of Fox. The part that produced Juno, Birdman, and particularly, Black Swan. I don't see this as a move of Disney moving to continue to go down the course of just producing media for children and teenagers.

I really believe they want a piece of the pie for adults as well. I mean why would Fox Searchlight be part of the deal if they didn't?

You don't really need to include Fox Searchlight as such - they bought Fox.  Fox makes R-rated films.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

Do you guys think that we will finally get to see the NC-17 version of Predator 2? Now that Disney owns the Predator franchise. They should release it in a new DVD/Blu-ray set. That would be so awsome

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 21, 2017, 01:29:31 AM
Scott told Lindelof to these some plot points ambiguous (mysterious), because he felt it was more interesting that way.

I understand why Scott told Lindelof to do it but the point is Scott told Lindelof to do it, despite Lindelof's warnings about his experience doing that kind of thing on Lost.

Quote from: SM on Dec 21, 2017, 02:29:35 AM

You don't really need to include Fox Searchlight as such - they bought Fox.  Fox makes R-rated films.

Whos_Nick mentioned somewhere that Disney are keeping Fox Searchlight and Fox 2000 as their own entities so it might be likely that any R-rated properties might be shifted under those banners.

Quote from: ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR on Dec 21, 2017, 08:00:14 AM
Do you guys think that we will finally get to see the NC-17 version of Predator 2? Now that Disney owns the Predator franchise. They should release it in a new DVD/Blu-ray set. That would be so awsome

It's unlikely but we can hope so.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 21, 2017, 08:22:22 AM
Quote from: Alionic on Dec 21, 2017, 01:29:31 AM

I understand why Scott told Lindelof to do it but the point is Scott told Lindelof to do it, despite Lindelof's warnings about his experience doing that kind of thing on Lost.

Quote from: SM on Dec 21, 2017, 02:29:35 AM

Whos_Nick mentioned somewhere that Disney are keeping Fox Searchlight and Fox 2000 as their own entities so it might be likely that any R-rated properties might be shifted under those banners.

Quote from: ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR on Dec 21, 2017, 08:00:14 AM

It's unlikely but we can hope so.
Scott was right in the end about it though. It does make the film more interesting to watch when you have to fill in some of the holes with your own imagination instead of having everything told to you in minute detail. The latter will almost always fall flat too.
The biggest weaknesses in Prometheus and Covenant are really the weak character decisions and a few nonsensical plot points.

Shinawi

I see a lot of people complain about the "sjw" theme in the new Star Wars movie. I think the reason why I don't see any complaints over Ripley is that she clearly worked hard and suffered in order to survive. We could see the sweat, blood, and her hard breathing. It was believable that she survived when the others who were more trained and more stronger didn't. I'm afraid that the next series would lose this theme if Disney buys Fox.

SM

Ripley happened during a period no internet.

JokersWarPig

Ripley is also a really strong character though, unlike most of the characters in the new Star Wars movies.

Local Trouble

Something just occurred to me: does Disney own Turk now or is he the intellectual property of Gearbox??  :-\

The Highlander MacLeod

The Highlander MacLeod

Ridley Scott reminds me of George Lucas in that regard: He's a great visual storyteller, but writing wise, it's not his strong point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed