Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 179,006 times)

Corporal Hicks

Scorpio

Quote from: JungleHunter87 on Dec 07, 2017, 06:10:39 PM

You would be right, except you're purposely omitting a few other scenes of graphic violence and gore. Here is the small list -

• Frost's death by immolation.

• Crowes' death via shrapnel. Showing blood coming from the mouth of his corpse.

• Drake's Death by acid spray. Which is pretty damn graphic.

• Hudson getting his arm burned by acid.

• Ferro's death. Complete with a good amount of blood thrown into the cockpit.

• Attempted face-hugging of Ripley. With ovipositor/penis organ wagging around. Attempting to insert itself into her mouth and throat.

• Vasquez's leg gets acid burned.

•  Hicks gets sprayed with acid on his face, as well as as his chest and arm are burnt.

I'm sure I might have missed some other instances. None of that is PG-13 even without the swearing included. You seem to be under the impression that every Alien movie needs copious amounts of gore for it to be a true Alien movie.

All those scenes you mentioned are very brief and not explicit.  Aliens has no gore.  Some blood and action violence, but no gore.

QuoteWhat you neglect to realize is that even A L I E N wasn't a mindless splatter fest. In fact, save for the chest bursting scene. None of the other deaths ever touch that level of gore and violence again. Brett's death is a quick cut, Dallas' death is never shown, Ash doesn't count because he's an Android, Parker is the closest to prolonged gore we get since the chest bursted scene and Lambert's death is again not shown and what DOES happen is left unexplained.

A L I E N is on a more adult level, but the chestburster scene alone is among the most goriest/disturbing scene in the whole series.

QuoteAs James Cameron said ( and I'm paraphrasing.) " You don't create fear with gore. You create disgust ".

That's his opinion..

SM

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 07, 2017, 09:23:26 PM
Covenant was garbage

It has to be in all caps or it doesn't count.

Full stops are optional.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 07, 2017, 10:09:38 PM
That's his opinion..

It's a common one, and a fairly universally held opinion among successful film makers in horror for a reason. Gore does and can cause fear, more likely it'll cause horror, revulsion, and disgust.

It wasn't the gore in The Fly that scared me. It was the idea of having your body forcefully transformed from the inside out and having to experience that. It was watching Seth almost completely lose his humanity by the end. The gore effects made me ill the first time I saw it.

Scorpio

What causes fear then?  Boo scares? 

You say that gore causes horror, revulsion and disgust.  It is supposed to be a HORROR MOVIE. 

It's not a Disney movie.  Oh wait..  Be careful what you wish for.

SM

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 07, 2017, 10:47:27 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 07, 2017, 10:09:38 PM
That's his opinion..

It's a common one, and a fairly universally held opinion among successful film makers in horror for a reason. Gore does and can cause fear, more likely it'll cause horror, revulsion, and disgust.

It wasn't the gore in The Fly that scared me. It was the idea of having your body forcefully transformed from the inside out and having to experience that. It was watching Seth almost completely lose his humanity by the end. The gore effects made me ill the first time I saw it.

Yep.  Excessive gore can very easily descend into either comedy or nausea inducing revulsion - neither of which is very scary.  It's the most effective is short punches.  The visions of hell in Event Horizon work in that regard.  You freeze frame those shots and you start treading into revulsion territory.  Or comedy if you don't find the effects convincing.

Perfect-Organism

Gore isn't scary at all.  It's the moments before the gore that are scary.  That's where the fear is.  The sensation that something bad is about to or could happen.  The actual moment of displayed gore is the release of that fearful tension.

Scorpio

Depends on how the gore is done.  Peter Jackson's Braindead uses gore in a funny way.  The gore in Alien is realistic and shocking.  Also disturbing to think about the implications of having something burst out of your chest.  All depends on filmmaker's intentions.

But yes, you can do a scary scene without gore.  That doesn't mean that gore = disgust only.

D88M

well, i fear that they let the franchises die -which sadly, it might be a good thing at this point unless they get their shit togheter- or they will  overboard mainstream movies, i would like to see a GOOD avp movie before i die tought, that would be nice but i dont expect it from disney, which is also gonna ruin the x men now

Magegg

Quote from: SM on Dec 07, 2017, 07:57:16 PM
For a MAJORITY of PEOPLE is wasn't GARBAGE.
If it had been so good, it would have made more money XDD

SM

Ratchetcomand

Quote from: Magegg on Dec 07, 2017, 07:52:52 PM
First I want the movie to be GOOD, then the horror and sex and gore is accessory.

The horror and gore helps make the movies good. Alien movies need to have a dark and scary tone to them. PG-13 horror movies are garbage 99% of the time expect for Drag Me to Hell.

Scorpio

Children's movies can be scary but Alien shouldn't be a movie for children.  But I'm afraid that's what it is going to become.  Alien Covenant is a dark, gory movie for adults and it didn't make much money.  If Disney get hold of it they will just churn out endless kid friendly movies with fast paced action to keep all those ritalin-addled teens limited attention spans.  Gore is a staple of the Alien franchise given that the chestburster scene in A L I E N is one of the most infamous gore scenes in history.

Magegg

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Dec 08, 2017, 02:32:32 AM
Quote from: Magegg on Dec 07, 2017, 07:52:52 PM
First I want the movie to be GOOD, then the horror and sex and gore is accessory.

The horror and gore helps make the movies good. Alien movies need to have a dark and scary tone to them. PG-13 horror movies are garbage 99% of the time expect for Drag Me to Hell.
I prefer the sci-fi aspect of Aliens than the horror aspect. If Disney focuses the reboot in the science fiction part I'm gonna love it.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Alien Covenant didn't make much money due to mixed word of mouth. Make good movies, you make good money out of them. Mad Max 4, Deadpool, Kingsman, John Wick and a few others did really well at the box office due to good word of mouth and good marketing. Alien Covenant had good marketing, but mixed word of mouth.

They just need to make a good movie again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed