Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,658 times)

0321recon

Quote from: Alionic on Dec 15, 2017, 07:25:23 PM
Quote from: 0321recon on Dec 15, 2017, 06:19:40 PM
Quote from: Prof. a on Dec 15, 2017, 05:46:15 PM
Everybody should remember that this deal still has to clear a few legal, regulatory hurdles. It is possible that several different government agencies could block this transaction. Considering that the current climate is very uncertain with regard to mergers and acquisitions (AT&T and Time Warner's merger is currently facing a regulatory hurdle), this deal could face some scrutiny.

From my own personal analysis, if the deal goes through, a lot will depend on who stays and who goes in the leadership positions. Stacey Snider, currently heading the film division, has hinted another Alien will go forward. But, rumors are swirling in the trade magazines that she will be leaving her post.

So, we have several different possibilities:
1) Within the next 12-18 months, there is a transition period where many of the same staff will stay in place. The current staff quickly greenlights the next Alien film and it moves into production
2) Snider, Emma Watts, or some remaining deciders stay and move ahead with the next Alien film.
3) Disney puts on the breaks and brings in someone new. This new person will do an evaluation and what happens is anybody's guess.

If they are following their current model, we could see:
a) Star Wars-like soft reboot/sequel with many of the same formulas of the previous entries
b) Indiana Jones-like status - working with the original talent (Spielberg, Marshall, Ford) with a "promise" to make a film but no serious work commitments
c) Or obviously the film gets shelved.

Boy, I hope Ridley finishes Cartel fast and starts production on Awakening before Disney takes over because just reading this morning of what happened with Last Jedi, I can't fathom what they'll do with the franchise.

What happened with The Last Jedi? I haven't seen it yet, so if it's spoiler related, please don't tell.  ;)

I've been reading various forums and seeing the mediocre audience scores on Metacritic and RT for the film, it seems that many are complaining how they don't properly handled the legacy characters, how the film feels like a MCU property, awkward comedy bits, sloppy editing, not furthering what was set up in Force Awakens, plus other stuff that I won't mention since it goes into spoiler territory.

Nightcrawler

Currently Last Jedi's RT audience score is worst than Justice League. Some are saying all the old characters have been ruined. All I hope that Luke just doesn't turns to the dark side.

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

ROYCE_THE_PREDATOR

So Disney owns both the Predator and Alien franchise now? And The Predator 2018 is the last Predator movie under the production from 20th Century Fox? I wonder if we are going to be seeing more Predator and Alien movies now sinse Disney owns both franchises now. Also If we are going to be seeing more video games. Part of me wants Disney to green light Alien Vs Predator 3 lol.

I wonder why Fox didn't want to keep the Predator and Alien franchises and sell everything else. Both franchises are original franchises unlike there comic book franchise licenes that they have like X-men F4, Deadpool

SM

They've sold off the whole film division.  Not much point in keeping IP if they're not going to produce anything.

GQSioux

Well, now Disney has the ability to make a movie like THIS happen....  ;D

RakaiThwei

You know, this isn't the first time that Disney has had some interaction with Fox's properties. Everyone remembers The Great Movie Ride and how that featured the Alien, right? Well, ever hear about Alien Encounter: ExtraTERRORestrial? Yeah... Apparently, it was SUPPOSED to be an ALIEN ride named Nostromo. There's some neat history about that.

So, Disney has had some history with the Alien franchise long before the buy out... Just something interesting I'd thought I'd share.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Nightcrawler on Dec 15, 2017, 09:02:33 PM
Currently Last Jedi's RT audience score is worst than Justice League. Some are saying all the old characters have been ruined. All I hope that Luke just doesn't turns to the dark side.
Luke turning to the dark side might just be enough to make a Star Wars movie interesting.

Scorpio

That's a great idea, actually, they missed a perfect opportunity to make Luke the villain if they really wanted to do something different.  But no, they half-assed it.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Please Disney. Please stop Ridley from making more Alien films. You already snatched one once-great franchise from an old, senile has-been way past his prime, you can do it again!

whiterabbit

Quote from: Xanadu on Dec 15, 2017, 08:35:33 PM
One question. I am not very knowledgeable on business stuff. Why did Fox with such a long history, now decided to sell itself to Disney? I thought Fox was doing great and its movies were making money.
This hasn't much to do with Fox, Rupert Murdoch is plain and simple, cashing out his media empire while holding onto the tidbits he holds dear to his heart. Like fox news. That's all it really is. That and also erasing 16+ billion in debt that Disney will inherit in the sale.

SM

Yeah, Fox didn't sell itself.  21st Century Fox was owned by New Corp.  News Corp (Uncle Rupert) sold it to Disney.  I daresay it will remain as 21st Century Fox but the logo will say 'A Disney Company' and not 'A News Corp Company'.  The Fox Fanfare is iconic and it wouldn't surprise me if Disney continued to use it.  We may see very little difference in the day to day running of the company.

monkeylove

From "PG-13 vs. R Movies: How Each Rating Stacks Up at the Box Office"

QuoteNumbers show that PG and PG-13 films gross roughly twice what R-rated films take in

However, from "If PG-13 Is the Moneymaker, Why Is Hollywood Cranking Out So Many R-Rated Movies?"

QuoteWhy would Hollywood spite itself like this? The short answer: The pervasive desire to keep it real creatively, then turn profit on downstream platforms. Awards can be a factor, too.

Huggs

"Please Disney. Please stop Ridley from making more Alien films."

With any luck. But I wouldn't count on it. The man has serious influence, and is a highly respected director. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that he's allowed to finish his trilogy. Although I've been vocal (to say the least) of my disapproval of the prequels, I do think it's fair to say that Prometheus (most likely due to the sheer awfulness of covenant) is actually rather a decent film. It succeeded in delivering a dark/foreboding sense of horror; it was just not a creature focused horror like an Alien film. But, nevertheless, the score and the world/situations had me quite tense. The cast, for all their written faults, was generally watchable and I could believe them as a group. Consequently, I've developed a kind of respect for it, and can enjoy it for what it is.

The thing that gets lost in translation with covenant I think (most likely due to pure emotion), isn't so much that it failed to be a good Alien movie or Prometheus movie. What happened is that it wasn't a good movie at all, purely on its own merits. I can pretty much find at least one thing to like in any movie ever made, even if it's just one scene or a single good line. In my opinion, Covenant had and delivered absolutely nothing. It was one of the most boring messes of a film I've ever seen. It either had nothing to say, or no idea of how to say it. But, like I said, it's easy to bash a movie because it's supposed to be a part of your favorite franchise. Whatever Covenant was, wherever it was supposed to belong, it just felt empty, period. I can only classify it as some kind of abstract/quasi-futuristic homosexual human interest piece.

And I do feel the need to say, I still think they misused the character of Lope. There was a lot of potential for a great character there, and I was just waiting for him to go into buttkicker mode. Nobody could ever be as bad as Hicks, and that's not what I was expecting, but I was expecting something awesome from that character. Some level of vengeance driven rage at the death of his partner, or just some good fight still in him. Alas, he turned into some screaming crying dude running away from the Alien, and was then killed off-screen. What a waste.

I was still on the fence about Scott when Prometheus came out. Covenant more than proved he is the wrong person to head this franchise now. Whatever happens, even if this series turns into some kind of Aliens/Pacific Rim/Jurassic World hybrid, something has to change quickly, and it's always best to start at the top.

Scorpio

Be careful what you wish for.

Nukiemorph

What if Scott's third prequel establishes that David is the re-creator and not the creator?  Wouldn't that undo some of the "damage" that Covenant haters perceive?  At this point, I don't see how Ridley could do any more "harm" to the story.  Let him finish.  Then hand it off to someone else.  (No matter what the next film is, half of the people on these forums will hate it anyway.)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed