Spore Locations

Started by Denton Smalls, Nov 03, 2017, 05:02:25 PM

Author
Spore Locations (Read 540 times)

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

After reading up a little on fungus, the pathogen settling from the air onto the planet's surface and the eventual formation of the fungi spores makes a lot more sense since the pathogen is "organic life" according to David in Prometheus, so what is essentially a type of bacteria becoming a fungus is accurate.

What I don't fully comprehend is the logic concerning where the spores are located. It makes sense that the spores would be especially present at sites that were heavily exposed to the pathogen, like right around the crashed juggernaut and in the surrounding vicinity, but by that train of thought, shouldn't the Engineer graveyard be absolutely covered with them since that was ground zero?

The Engineer corpses themselves should have been littered with spore pods.

Am I looking at this wrong or is this a legitimate plot hole?

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

The spores aren't actual spores, they're bugs from the mutated bug eggs. So the behaviour's different from actual fungus.
The first time they appear you can see them actually swarming and choosing direction. Fungus/spores would just go along with the wind.

Their location would be all bug eggs within reach of the pathogen or its particles.

David when talking about the bugs that resulted in neomorphs.
"From the eggs came these parasites..."

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

I was indeed looking at it wrong lol. The bug eggs thing is cooler anyway and it makes sense now I remember that part where he picks up the Jurassic Park mosquito in the amber thing.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

No problem.
I like how you're thinking about stuff like that and doing research. I'm that way too.

Btw, did you came across this while reading up on fungus? Some real life horror right there.

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

That's horrifying lol. I wouldn't mind seeing that onscreen. Imagine people painfully growing Alien banana heads that end up bursting out spores at the end?

I hear ya, research is really cool to do especially since Ridley bases so much of his creature designs on real biology.

Check this out. You may have seen this but it's a good companion to the film, especially if it's tough to read some of the captions on David's illustrations. Some good Easter eggs in there:

https://muthur9000.tumblr.com/Advent

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

More reading material  :)

Reichu transcribed the writings on David's drawings a while ago.
Also quite interesting.

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=58767.0

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed