Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 103,916 times)

SM

QuoteAside from Isolation, when was the last time they were even attempted to be scary from the point of view of the story?

They always attempt to be scary.

Johnny Handsome

Quote from: Alionic on Nov 15, 2017, 10:11:15 PM
Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Nov 15, 2017, 02:59:34 PM
QuoteScott: I think the Beast is almost run out
Then just step the hell back and let someone who still has a passion for this franchise and creature, direct a movie fans really want to see and deserve. Then maybe people don't have to go through philosophical bullshit and Alien-Puking androids with a Wagner-fetish. This is some high quality Strause-Level bullshit.

How can facehuggers, chestbursters, and xenos be scary again after we already know how each one of these kill people?
It's all about the portrayal. I think there can absolutely be another scary Alien movie. People who hate spiders don't stop being afraid just because they have seen a spider before or know what they can or can't do. Ask my wife.

Alien Covenant wasn't scary because Scott, in my book, didn't approach the creature right. Instead of making it slow, spooky and almost majestic in movement, playing with shadows and sounds, he turned the Alien in yet another hyperspastic CGI-beast, like we see in 90% of monster movies now.

The beast is what you make of it and shouldn't be the only excuse for a shitty movie and/or box-office failure.

monkeylove

monkeylove

As I explained in other threads, the dominant genre or probably theme employed by the first movie is horror. That's because the creature is fully revealed only in the last few scenes of the film.

Obviously, they could no longer do that for the second movie, which is why action was employed.

Another genre resembling detective fiction was used for the third, i.e., how to kill the creature.

The fourth follows something similar in conspiracy films, involving scientists, the military, mercenaries, etc. Although the third looked like the proper end for the franchise, i.e., if Ripley is considered the center of the story, it is still open-ended because it is implied that the company or at least other groups would try to profit from the creatures. Which is what happened in the fourth.

But the fourth still has no closure given the point that Ripley's character is brought back and the aliens still pose a thread to humans. Given that, the only genre I can imagine that is different from those used in previous films and that will finally give closure is major conflict and whatever tech needed to destroy the xenomorphs, or at least give human beings a fighting chance to do so but at incredible costs, thus allowing for a return to the bleakness of the first film.

With that, it's obvious that the prequels would employ other genres, and in this case looks like something involving scientific discoveries concerning the origins of the creature and various plot twists connected to that. The idea is sound, but there were problems with the story, notably the introduction of a star map discovered and connecting it to "Engineers." Perhaps a more elaborate tale should have been constructed, and that would certainly make at least the first film look like 2001 rather than an Alien film. If similar principles were applied to the next movie, then it would have been different from the recent mess, where the same theme involving origins was mixed with elements from Alien and Aliens.

Highland

I had a thought the other day that they might just kill David like Shaw. Stranger things have happened.

Denton Smalls

I want to see a younger via CGI Ian Holm interact with David.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: tleilaxu on Nov 17, 2017, 05:40:41 AM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Nov 16, 2017, 11:45:28 AM
Covenant featured the best alien-bursting-from-a-human-body scene since 1979. It's no longer scary (and more importantly disturbing) because we've seen it before. The same with aliens stalking people in dark corridors and shafts or swarming a barricaded compartment. It's all familiar. You know how it will play out.
I don't think there' anyone against good characters, but keep in mind that in Alien the characters are archetypes. It's not like the chestburster scene succeeded because Kane was such a compelling character.
That's right. Why the f**k would I want to see the same f**king thing and the same predictable ending all over again? The "decent character" protagonists make it through hell and back -> oh no the Alien is still here  -> enter boss fight -> Alien is killed and humanity is saved.

Covenant finally offered something different from this stale ending. The Xeno, through David, actually WON in Covenant. I'm eternally grateful for that.

+1

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: tleilaxu on Nov 17, 2017, 05:40:41 AM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Nov 16, 2017, 11:45:28 AM
Covenant featured the best alien-bursting-from-a-human-body scene since 1979. It's no longer scary (and more importantly disturbing) because we've seen it before. The same with aliens stalking people in dark corridors and shafts or swarming a barricaded compartment. It's all familiar. You know how it will play out.
I don't think there' anyone against good characters, but keep in mind that in Alien the characters are archetypes. It's not like the chestburster scene succeeded because Kane was such a compelling character.
That's right. Why the f**k would I want to see the same f**king thing and the same predictable ending all over again? The "decent character" protagonists make it through hell and back -> oh no the Alien is still here  -> enter boss fight -> Alien is killed and humanity is saved.

Covenant finally offered something different from this stale ending. The Xeno, through David, actually WON in Covenant. I'm eternally grateful for that.

Yeah, and if the last sequel is still possible, Ridley Scott needs to finish his story with a dark conclusion. 

SuicideDoors

Quote from: SiL on Nov 16, 2017, 12:08:46 PM
Everyone knows what a shark is and what it does. Jaws was still terrifying. It stopped being scary when the sequels got dumb and the craftsmanship in the filmmaking disappeared completely.

The wheel doesn't need to be reinvented, someone just has to treat the creature with the same tact and care it was given at the start. That's where things go to shit: the filmmakers stop caring about the presentation and start thinking more about cool set pieces they can try out.

Yup, this.

And ultimately Alien still works. Bolaji Badejo lurking around the corridors of the Nostromo in that gorgeous Giger suit is still ominous and still immersive to watch as a viewer. One of the assets the Alien design still has going for it is you just can't take your eyes off it; has the grace of a butterfly yet the spine-tingling stay-the-f**k-away-from-me reaction you get,say, from a tarantula. 

So I don't think the shape or presence of the creature is worn out, but as a lot of people in here are rightly saying, it just ain't being used right.

skhellter

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Nov 14, 2017, 08:51:19 PM
Gareth edwards would be a GREAT choice for a sequel/reboot!

I could see him definitely being able to depict the Alien in proper terrifying fashion once more.

Only if we also hire Tony Gilroy to reshoot at least 30% of it,
then it could have a chance at being pretty good.

Scorpio

Ridley is saving the grand entrance of the Gigermorph for the last one.  The one in Covenant is a protomorph, and is meant to be more like a beast to contrast with the 'perfect organism'.

skhellter

it's gonna get weird!  :D

KiramidHead

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 17, 2017, 10:42:39 PM
it's gonna get weird!  :D

Catering to the Japanese market, I see.

skhellter

Giger would approve.

The fanbase..

not so much. :D

Scorpio

"Secreted from what?"

;D

skhellter

skhellter

When Ripley goes to save Newt, there were few Aliens
in the Hive because the rest were too busy gangbanging Hudson.  ;D
#EDGY

(Ridley will make this Canon, somehow.)

there's probably a fanfic like this somewhere..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed