Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 02, 2017, 10:49:37 PM

Author
Scott: I think the Beast is almost run out, personally. (Read 104,892 times)

Inverse Effect

Maybe if Scott hadn't been so pig headed and let that Alien 5 movie get the Green-light then maybe we could have got something the fans actually wanted. He's Blaming the Alien creature itself for Covenant being average movie at best.

Mr. Happy

Can't wait for the next one, myself. Love every entry in the series!

Brendaderk Cramplescrunch

Brendaderk Cramplescrunch

The next one is gonna be great, I know it!

BishopShouldGo

Oh Ridley. The movie doesn't have to be about the aliens. Just treat the aliens with respect. They're a piece of the puzzle. They're an element. Like the spaceships. The robots. The weaponry.

Come on dude.

As someone on here stated before, The Martian Ridley is so different from Covenant Ridley.

PierreVW

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Nov 03, 2017, 03:38:25 PM
Oh Ridley. The movie doesn't have to be about the aliens. Just treat the aliens with respect. They're a piece of the puzzle. They're an element. Like the spaceships. The robots. The weaponry.

Come on dude.

As someone on here stated before, The Martian Ridley is so different from Covenant Ridley.

Ridley is a businessman. He only made Prometheus and Alien: Covenant to won some money for his more personal movies like THE CARTEL.

Michael Bay always does that: He hates his Transformers movies but he need those for his personal movies PAIN & GAIN and 13 HOURS.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Does this mean no more "f*cking Aliens"?

Quote from: SiL on Nov 03, 2017, 01:34:04 AM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Nov 03, 2017, 12:41:08 AM
He called him Deni? Is he serious? silent s huh?
SWAVE!!!!
Well the dude's French, and it's how you pronounce his name, soo...

Yeah, if you watch all the 2049 behind-the-scenes footage you'll find that everyone on set refers to Denis Villeneuve as "Deni".

Incidentally, Villeneuve also refers to Blade Runner 2049 as "Blade Runner two-thousand-and-forty-nine" not "twenty-forty-nine".

acidreign

acidreign

This series will never be what any of you want it to be.
Its moment of creative vitality was from 1979-1986. You simply can't recapture that. Just can't.

Novelty and freshness are incredibly hard qualities to sustain across a horror franchise. This is especially true of the Alien films, whose universe is comprised of a limited number of tropes that grow staler with each entry.

You can try to do something different with the series but the fans will get upset that you've abandoned them. You can give them what they say they want, and they will complain it's more of the same. There's no pleasing anyone. [Certainly not general audiences, who more or less checked out on the series after Alien 3.]

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Well the aliens scenes are arguably the least interesting thing in Covenant, I mean two Xenomorphs rather than one though one and CGI and in broad daylight, no real suspense or terror right there if you ask me.

It was as if Ridley gave the finger to producers, "you want the xeno and all sort of aliens no problem but I couldn't care less and here's the proof".

I still want to defend him despite questionable choices, the way he avoids what he started with Prometheus etc...

What I like is that he didn't give us the obvious and predictable prequel, he tried something and I like the whole David arc. Some may argue that it doesn't fit the Alien franchise but I really want to see what he's going to do if only he can hire good screenwriters.

Local Trouble

Quote from: skhellter on Nov 03, 2017, 01:59:13 AM
If Ridley's bored then just give this franchise to someone else.

Indeed.  It'd be nice to get a director who doesn't bring contempt for the subject matter to the project right from the start.

acidreign

acidreign

I don't think Ridley has any contempt. It's more like "been there, done that."

He tried to expand the universe but the results were imperfect and idiosyncratic so the studio saddled him with the classic Xeno. I think he did what he could with it, but there's ultimately not much left that hasn't been done.

That said, I loved Convenant. It gets better for me with each viewing. I'm sad that many can't appreciate it the same way but as David says, "No one understands the lonely perfection of my dreams."

newagescamartist

Ridley's not wrong. The xenomorph is pretty much played out. The entire point of expanding the universe was to introduce more ideas and inject fresh narratives. If Fox was smart they'd let him finish the trilogy and not interject because maybe, just maybe, he'd give them material for an entirely new direction to take without having to milk the crap out of the same old movie monster for the next 30 years.

acidreign

Ridley 79

Couldn't agree more ; the man clearly has fresh ideas and is still at the top of his game visually speaking, let him finish it !

XENOMORPHOSIS

When the guy who originally brought the Alien to the big screen has lack of enthusiasm you know its a bad sign

reecebomb

reecebomb

Not surprised, it's apparent that the film was conceived at the studio board meeting room.
Covenant wasnt a good horror, it wasnt a good action film, it wasnt a good philosophy film and it was f**king boring and stupid at the same time, surprisingly average looking too being a Ridley Scott film. It's genuinely worse than Resurrection, perhaps even Aliens V Predator, been a while since i watched it .

Ultimately Scott prequels failed at everything that made the Alien stand apart from the crowd, why i really loved the series first place:

no atmosphere, no real tension or dread, zero realism and plausibilty, no strong relatable characters, no coherent story, mostly no convincing creature effects and Giger biomechanic aesthetics. The cosmic horror of the unknown is almost entirely absent, worst of all it tries it best to make it seem like it has always been absent, thus undermining the impact and value of the whole franchise in a way no shitty prequel has succeeded. Origin stories are almost universally horrible but this takes the cake.
Only thing that  needed to explain about the Alien was already perfectly said by Ash "A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality." The possibility that something like this could exist in the cold vast empty universe if far more chilling than the idea that Alien was made by design.

What Scott did, is far worse what Lucas did to Star Wars. After Prometheus there was still hope, after Covenant the prequels are best left forgotten or rebooted.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed