Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment?

Started by motherfather, Oct 31, 2017, 09:36:07 AM

Author
Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment? (Read 17,315 times)

Perfect-Organism

But Cameron set a precedent that is in canon. 

Naginata

Quote from: Killveous on Nov 28, 2017, 11:57:05 PM

Made this for all the people in this thread who don't like this scene : D

I'd watch the hell out of that show.

BishopShouldGo

I actually think it's so out-of-the-way ridiculous. Like f**k off with that horse shit.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Recently saw Covenant the second time. Still never expected to hear cheesy melanchony piano (that is overused in a lot of stuff in these days and i love melanchony piano melodies) in an Alien film, much less in a chestburster scene. All I get is criinnngggee. To me it's not a smart juxtaposition, it's just bad taste imo. Remove the piano the scene is already 50% better ;D

Deathbearer

I preferred the Spaceballs version.

windebieste

This scene is now canon.  Deal with it, already.  lol.

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

It being canon doesn't negate anyone's ability to like or dislike the scene.

Stitch

Couldn't it be fired from a cannon instead?

Deathbearer

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 07, 2017, 12:17:32 AM
This scene is now canon.  Deal with it, already.  lol.

-Windebieste.

I reject Scott's canon and substitute my own

Gash

I have no problem with this scene. It's a nice addition to see the thing actually unfold and develop, the precedent for that being the Neomorph Backburster. Seeing that juvenile stage gives (some of) us an enjoyable extra insight into the development of the alien. I also like the fact that tonally it is entirely different to the horror of Kane's Chestburster or the Backburster. The music conveys David's achievement and his connection, and gives the opposite perspective on what new life here means.

Perfect-Organism

Hello my baby,  hello my honey!!

Scorpio

It's a beautiful piece of cinema.

Prof. a

I thought it was a great "alienating" moment. As an audience, we are so used to seeing the creature from horror perspective. However, in this scene, we get to view the creature from the perspective of the parent. Very different and very alien (alien as in foreign/unusual to the series).

The music and tone is different because the scene means something very different to David's character - it is a moment of triumph, joy, and celebration.

I like to speak with a lot of casual fans and moviegoers - I notice a common negative reaction when it comes to sentimentality in testosterone driven films (action, horror, etc). I spoke with a family member who absolutely hated Alien: Resurrection - his reasoning was he didn't like "the baby Alien hybrid crying for Mommy."

It seems to be the case with some who don't like this scene as well - they find the depiction of the xenomorph in any other capacity than "evil" or "bad" as off-putting.

When films try to flesh out other perspectives or provide other points-of-view, many seem to rebuke the filmmakers - especially when it comes to emotion and sentiment. It was a common criticism of the Star Wars prequels - many didn't like the emotional or "whiny" Anakin Skywalker. Many fans felt Vader is evil - so he should have no weaknesses, no sentimentality, pure violence and evil all the way.

A multi-dimensional view fleshes out motivations - but some fans like one dimensional portraits.

SM

Return of the Jedi showed Vader wasn't pure violence and evil.  Well Empire started it really.

windebieste

windebieste

While the first 3 'Star Wars' episodes have their problems, they have one very, very important feature that 'The Force Awakens' (and presumably, 'The Last Jedi' - I haven't seen it yet.) lack.  They are part of a 6 story arc that effectively documents of what I like to call the 'Rise and Redemption of Darth Vader'

This is the common bridge that connects all of these first 6 movies together.  Despite their weaknesses - and all 'Star Wars' movies have them to varying degrees - this is where their Greater Merit lies and it becomes apparent that 'Star Wars' episodes 1-6 is intended as a narrative to be enjoyed as a whole but viewed in parts.   

'TFA' feels divorced from that story.  For several reasons.  It takes place 30 years after the events of 'Return of the Jedi'.  It's pre-occupied with aging actors being front and center and reprising roles they're too old for (hence the poor justification for a 30 year gap) and yet another 'Good Guys vs Evil Empire' scenario that's basically a patchwork remake of previous content.   I don't even understand how the First Order (or whatever it's called) came to be by watching the movie.  Actually, a movie about the immediate aftermath of the death of the Emperor and his Right Hand Man, Vader; the destruction of the Death Star above Endor and the ensuing struggle between the fractured Empire and the rising Rebellion would be a much more engrossing story, one that has much wider impact on the Galaxy it takes place on and be much more immediate, far reaching consequences.  It's relevance would be greater, too as it happens as a direct result of the events at the end of Episode 6.

There's a much more enticing story there than what we got in 'TFA'.  What did we actually get in Episode 7?  A lot of disconnected rehashed content that takes place 30 years after the most important event in the Galaxy so Han Solo is killed by his emo son and Luke Skywalker simply standing there, doing nothing in the last 30 seconds of the movie with nary a piece of dialogue!  It's hardly adequate content to warrant actors Harrison Ford and Mark Hamill to be blessed with the top 2 Star billing posts  ... Gah!

Hollywood's 'Cult of Celebrities' has a lot to answer to - sacrificing potentially good stories just so popular old f**kers can be seen on the big screen just one last time.  It's unsatisfying in terms of delivering narrative and ultimately reduces 'TFA' to the weakest and most disconnected movie in the series to date. 

Oh, btw.  I really love the Oram chestburster scene.  Scott is such a subversive old fox, aint he?  Moar plz, Sir Scott.  You got this. Making 'ALIEN' confronting, uncomfortable, disquieting and incomprehensible, unexpected and weird.  Oh yeah.  'ALIEN' in name is worth nought without 'alien' content.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed