Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment?

Started by motherfather, Oct 31, 2017, 09:36:07 AM

Author
Does anybody actually like the Oram/David/Xeno get up and rise moment? (Read 17,292 times)

motherfather

motherfather

In my opinion, the biggest comedy moment of the movie has to be the scene in the egg cave with David/Oram/chestbursted Xeno being commanded to get up and rise. So absurd - I half-expected the chest-burster to make like Spaceballs, don a top hat and coat tails, then tap dance its way off the stage :-)

But, surely somebody must like that scene and think it was a stroke of genius. Did you find anything good / redeeming / momentum-building about that scene?

Rudiger

Where's my popcorn. This should be fun...

Jonesy1974

Admittedly on first viewing I didn't like it and thought it was a little silly. However on further viewings I actually really like the scene now.

I think its beautifully shot, the lighting is great and the music really works for me.

I actually prefer it to watching the original comically running away across the table which Id always found to be the worst moment in Alien.

SM

I really liked it.  Possibly 'cos it was so unexpected.  Agreed on the music too.

PsyKore

Yes, people like it. How terrible of them. ::)

Rudiger

Gotta admire the timing. It bursts forth perfectly on cue.  ::)

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Rudiger on Oct 31, 2017, 11:09:40 AM

Isn't everything on cue in a film?

skhellter

OP confirmed as being basic.

Space7Horror

I also did not like it when I first watched it but have come to enjoy it more.  It may seem silly that the alien mimics David but it can be looked at as if the alien has intelligence at birth to be able to mimic someone.

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Oct 31, 2017, 11:17:44 AM

Most definitely in this scene. Together with the dialogue, it's a little bit too on the nose IMHO.

Corporal Hicks

whiterabbit

The moment when David raises his hand I thought to myself "here it comes" and sure enough the little alien raised his hands too. However I actually liked the moment. As others have said, the lighting, music and effect was great. I mean it is definitely "on the nose" but it was a good creature/creator moment.

Paranoid Android

Yes, but good films are written and constructed to make it seem natural and not rehearsed. Example for comparison: Kane's chestbursting starts "randomly" while Parker is making innuendos during a meal. It doesn't happen immediately after one of the characters finishes delivering a "punch line".

"What do you believe in, David?"
*Dramatic pause* - "Creation" (You can die now).

As for the scene itself, it's my favorite unintentionally funny scene in the film. The lack of self-awareness in that scene is so overwhelming. That said, most people would probably still place "I'll do the fingering" as their highlight.

motherfather

motherfather

^ Tee hee :-)

I can see where they were going with "rise" or creation imagery, both biblically, and self-referentially to Alien 3, as well as teach an Alien 4 to roll over, beg, and do tricks. It just didn't work for me. Even taking into account Oram's fickle oscillation between blind faith, and then anally retentive cold logic by the numbers.

I agree the shooting of the cave scene was for the most part picturesque. I didn't care for chestburst/xeno animatronics/cgi or whatever the heck it was. The drop-ship lab neo-burst effects looked much better by comparison.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Oct 31, 2017, 12:28:21 PM

Yes, but good films are written and constructed to make it seem natural and not rehearsed. Example for comparison: Kane's chestbursting starts "randomly" while Parker is making innuendos during a meal. It doesn't happen immediately after one of the characters finishes delivering a "punch line".

"What do you believe in, David?"
*Dramatic pause* - "Creation" (You can die now).

As for the scene itself, it's my favorite unintentionally funny scene in the film. The lack of self-awareness in that scene is so overwhelming. That said, most people would probably still place "I'll do the fingering" as their highlight.

Kane's chest burst is intended to elicit a completely different response from the audience though.

One scene is about shock value and the other is about marking a significant moment in the story. Both are well constructed in there intentions.

But if you didn't like it that's fair enough.

I think I'll do the fingering was intended to be funny.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed