Flop

Started by DerelictShip, Oct 30, 2017, 05:38:43 PM

Author
Flop (Read 14,770 times)

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

Die hard fan as much of the rest of you are. But I smell a disaster in the making.

It's sizing up like the Alien prequels to me.

Shane Black returning to the universe just like Ridley...refreshing 'new take' on the series...the leaked script sounding pretty exotic.

This is a slight rant but share your predictions and if someone can get me amped for this film I'd greatly appreciate it. Right now I refuse to get my hopes up as I did for the Alien films, you may fool me once fox (prometheus), and twice (covenant), and you probably will fool me for a third time because I'm already too deep in the rabit hole with these films!!!

PsyKore

PsyKore

This film won't have expectations to the level of the Alien franchise and Ridley Scott. Most people on the street wouldn't even know who Shane Black is. If anything, I think it has more going for it.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Honestly, i don't think it will be a masterpiece or the better predator movie ever. But i do think that it can be a very entertaining movie, with good pacing and acting. If well executed, it can give us some memorable scenes.

Regarding the predator mythology, i think it can add some interesting stuff, and some other dispensable stuff too. It's what i expect, not the better predator movie ever, but heavy doses of fun, badass stuff, funny lines, some gore and great action sequences with good directing and editing. I think we can get that with Shane Black.

If we do, i'll be delighted. If not, i'll be fair and objective regarding what went wrong, and if the movie deserves to be atomized, i'll atomize the f**ker.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Depending on how much has changed from the leaked script to the filming script, I wont be surprised in the slightest if the "true fans" just absolutely loathe the film.

Hopefully, though, enough of the finer details have been refined enough to make it the fun experience it has the potential to be. There was plenty in that script that I enjoyed.

Master

Master

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 31, 2017, 08:26:36 AM
Depending on how much has changed from the leaked script to the filming script, I wont be surprised in the slightest if the "true fans" just absolutely loathe the film.

Hopefully, though, enough of the finer details have been refined enough to make it the fun experience it has the potential to be. There was plenty in that script that I enjoyed.

There was a lot of good stuff, but the ammount of absurdity was overwhelming.

bleau

bleau

I don't think this will flop. Every predator film has made some money and none have been flops. Predators was decent but not a great predator film honestly. It had a budget of 40 million and did something like 127 WW. Not too bad. I Honestly think it will do about as good as predators. If it has lots a great action and gets well received, good word of mouth, it could do a little better imo. :)

I haven't read the script yet, but I'm vary tempted to. Last time I read Predators script and I think I spoiled myself a little with expectations. I have heard that a portion of the story takes place in suburbia. That setting has me excited and I'm kind of interested in a film that takes it back to the city. Honestly the city and suburbs sound like it could be real interesting.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 31, 2017, 08:26:36 AM

I didn't (and won't till I've seen the movie) read it. Did Raka'a Thewi have a view?

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I'm looking forward to it. I love Shane Black films usually and I don't see any reason to doubt he'll do a good jog again.

I judge films on there own merits rather than what's come before so I don't get too fixated on what a Predator movie should or shouldn't be like. Same with Alien movies.

happypred

happypred

I am a hardcore, long-term fan of Predator/Aliens vs. Predator

I am willing to entertain change, but that really depends on the direction of the change.

Three-legged freaks and mutant super hybrid-preds running around the suburbs sounds f**king horrible.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I'll admit when you first read it, it's kinda weird. But when you think about the execution, the pacing, dialogue etc... If it goes well, it could be really cool too. Never seen action sequences of this type in a predator movie with great directing, why not ?

Vermillion

Vermillion

When is it coming out again?

Original Predator

Original Predator

Coulda, woulda, shoulda...

"at the end [of Predator], with the burned up clearing where the explosion happens, the film [Predator 2] opens there and the Predator's invisible feet come into view and a hand plunges down into the dust, into the ashes, and brings up the Predator's arm and then activates the computer and get's a readout to see everything that had happened up to that time, focusing on Arnold, and "this is my target." We went from there and we had to think of how to bring Arnold back into it.""

I'll wait to see this one on RedBox/Netflix.  Anything sans Arnold isn't a sequel at this point in the game.  Pred 2 was legit.  The movies after that have blown holes in the ship.  And here we go again, with yet another opportunity squandered so some average director can be the "smartest guy" in the room and give his "vision" for Predator and "take it in a new direction". 

Hint, Hint.  Go watch Blade Runner 2049.  No "new direction".  Just continue the story with good story-telling, expand a bit...H. Ford's role was perfect. 

But god forbid, the Instgram/Twitter/FaceBook-culture wouldn't like such a thing (ala Blade Runner 2049-suffered in box office money).

Hollywood

Hollywood

Quote from: Original Predator on Nov 14, 2017, 04:01:18 PM
Anything sans Arnold isn't a sequel at this point in the game.

Do you have reasoning as to why that is?

QuoteBut god forbid, the Instgram/Twitter/FaceBook-culture wouldn't like such a thing (ala Blade Runner 2049-suffered in box office money).

The marketing of 2049 is what failed the film - not one trailer actually told you the plot of the damn movie. As far as I can tell it was about Ryan Gosling looking for someone to ask questions. That's it. Not sure what that has to do with social media.

Russ

Russ

Quote from: Hollywood on Nov 14, 2017, 04:17:37 PM
Quote from: Original Predator on Nov 14, 2017, 04:01:18 PM
Anything sans Arnold isn't a sequel at this point in the game.

Do you have reasoning as to why that is?

I think because the brand has become so diluted... most people associate Predator with Arnold. Like a lot of people (well a lot of people outside of this forum), I was hoping Arnold would be in this one - if only as an advisor or torch hander. But, interestingly, he declined because of those reasons - he wanted to be far more involved than just a post-credits set up for a possible sequel.

I don't know what to make of the comments on the new movie - I've not read the script as I don't want it spoiled, but a lot of of what I read on here is very negative.

I wish they had consulted with Arnold (all right, he's an actor so he's always going to say "It's good, but it needs more of me in in it") and done something that acknowledged Val Verde, LA and maybe even the Game Preserve and move onto something new from there. 

There were some great ideas for a sequel on this very forum - setting it in the Gulf or Afghanistan or ANother war torn place (tragically there are many to choose from) and have the Predator downed by the airforce and being hunted as opposed to being the hunter for once - I really liked that one.

But I just think having Arnold's involvement legitimises it - or would have, if you see what I mean.

skhellter

skhellter

Quote from: Russ on Nov 14, 2017, 04:28:09 PM
But I just think having Arnold's involvement legitimises it - or would have, if you see what I mean.

Yeah, Terminator 3 and SegaGENYSis were legit.  :-X

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed