1. If you believe Nice Guys is "great" your definition of a "great" movie and mine are vastly different.
And? Yeah it was in my top 5 movies of 2016 along with Arrival, Hacksaw Ridge, Hell or High Water and Deadpool. What were your top 5?
2. I agree Arnold isn't the element that makes anything credible (pretty sure I said that a couple times). Arnold = good movie is False,
You said "Anything sans Arnold isn't a sequel at this point in the game."
Arnold = bad movie is also false. AKA Arnold also isn't the element that makes movies NOT credible (your premise)
Not at all what I said. My direct quotes: "Still don't think we really need Arnold to make this film feel connected. I agree with you it would have been nice
but it's not going to make or break whether this film is established in the franchise"
"I know I would've liked to see him make an appearance."
3. Fault in writing is fault- in- writing plain and simple.
I disagree, intricate details are important. The writers were set up for failure from the start in having to write the film completely around an aged Arnold. Another actor should have taken over long ago.
Your definition, again, of "daunting" task is different than mine. They actually did fine explaining an "old" Arnold Terminator, the rest of the writing after that was horrible. As if that's more "daunting" than having Predators in pants working for the Gov't, teaming up with antagonists, cause that's more believable and less daunting?
It made no sense because the paradoxes Pops created were impossible to ignore, they let his involvement dictate the story which led to a very very bad film. It could have been executed better, sure, but it wasn't.
4. The "voices in my head" are telling me you can't have your cake and eat it too. The Pro- "The Predator" folks are telling me to like this script and give only "The nice Guys" to justify the leaked script. "He's a great director" = "this is a great script" = "this will be a great movie". Yet argue that Arnold ruined Post T2's, not the director or the writer???
Who told you to like the script? Sure wasn't me despite you saying for me to "pick my argument." Also you gave more examples than the nice guys to justify Shane Black's talent before while also leaving out the Lethal Weapon movies, so let's not pretend one film is all we're basing his talent on. And sure, I'll go ahead and say the director ruined T3 and Genesys by allowing the films to be made around Arnold's characters.
5. I'm saying without Arnold. It's hard to trust a Predator movie (AVP, AVP 2, Predators) premise (key word), because so many plot lines have been ignored. Credibility IS lost with this franchise. Plain and simple. Unless you think AVP, AVP 2 and Predators were credible films to this franchise???
Nope, you said "Anything sans Arnold isn't a sequel at this point in the game." You include The Predator in that claim because Arnold isn't in it. And thats an opinion from someone who hasn't seen even a trailer of The Predator. If anything is not credible, it's your argument.
6. Arnold doesn't need to be in his prime to pass the torch or assist another actor in investigating/hunting/defeating a Predator. Is there only one type of movie this can be? You can't be that shortsighted to think there is only one-type/style of action/sci-fi movie. Blade Runner 2049 set the bar for bringing back Ford, old age and all, and how to use him. (In fact too bad T-Genysis writers couldn't think up something as simple as the writers for BR2049 figured in bringing back an aged replicant-Deckard, they seemed to take on that "daunting" task just fine)
Agreed he doesn't have to be in his prime to pass the torch, but we don't know what Arnold would want in order to be involved - and bottom line is that he isn't the writer, filmmaker, producer, or even the same action star he used to be. When has a filmmaker compromising to the demands of the studio or over-accommodation of the actors ever resulted in a movie that works?
7.I don't want to rehash the first film. I'm saying after reading the leaked script and the sh-tty plans Black has for this film, is ignoring all elements that made the first film great. Which is a major concern (legitimate I'd say), considering the last 3 bombs went down the same road Black is choosing to take. At the end of all of this my take is "Predator" should be viewed as a standalone film and Predator 2 a worthy sequel. After that this isn't a "franchise" or a "universe" Pred, or Pred 2 aren't connected to these other movies (don't care about the minor Keyes/gov't connection Black is using).
What elements made the first film great that you're so sure this film won't have? This film has the potential to have great action, characters, kills, suspense, dialogue, and effects. Specifically, what is definitely going to be missing other than Arnold?
8. Expanding the Universe beyond Dutch is fine. In fact it's what I was hoping for with The Predator. Considering the HUGE plot-holes FOX has let happen over time and with failed movies AVP, AVP2(R) and Predators, I'd say it's fairly obvious THEY/FOX actually were throwing the Predator (creature) into just any plot and hoping for gold, and so is Black for that matter. Don't know how you don't see that?
I don't see that because Black had this script written specifically for the Predator. They didn't write the Predator into it after already having a script.
Bottom line is the script is comic-book like at best. It will be a good rental movie for me. And in this day in age-internet and all, me making the decision to not like the movie (via the script) and NOT pay theatre money before it's released is perfectly reasonable (just as it is you read the script and determine the movie is good and pay theatre money to see it). The leaked script on this site, is very clear, detailed and concise. I have ZERO qualms saying I think it's going to be yet another failed creature movie. Maybe 4th time's a charm for FOX, finally figuring out that Predator isn't a "creature" they can add bubble-gum too. Maybe they call Mac T and say something like "Hey man we thought this Pred creature was like Jason and Freddy and Swamp Thing, but apparently it's different? What are we missing???"
True your opinion to dislike the film before it's a film, or to ignore it is totally within your right. Still disagree with the claim that "Anything sans Arnold isn't a sequel at this point in the game." This movie is going to count, and Arnold isnt the definitive factor on that.