Newts or Shaw's death?

Started by Berend, Oct 20, 2017, 04:36:00 AM

Author
Newts or Shaw's death? (Read 6,108 times)

Berend

Berend

What was your first reaction when you found out Shaw had been killed of ( either online or in the movie ) 

I'll admit I was pretty gutted. It's the second time the alien franchise did this along with Newt.
They were both such sweet natured innocent characters.

I say Shaw's had a bigger reaction from me, mostly because of the tease we got at the end of Prometheus, " my name is Elisabeth Shaw, and I'm still searching "  suggesting her part was far from over.

And then also because it was David who did it, whom I felt shared a connection with her all the way back to Prometheus. 

But what do you guys think?

SM

SM

Unsurprised.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Kind of disappointed at first. I wanted to see her get her camuffins on screen.

However I wouldn't wish Newts write off on a broke-dick dog.

Rudiger

Rudiger

Both seemed clumsy.

Newt's demise is particularly annoying as it seemingly changed the rules re facehuggers.

Jonesy1974

Jonesy1974

I wasn't really bothered about Newts death because she was surplus to requirements in Alien 3, it was Ripleys story and Newts death was part of that brutal story.

I was overjoyed they got shot of Shaw though.

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Both cases really bothered me and were the work of terrible writing. Whenever you kill off a major character off-screen, it's a sign of terrible writing.

Hicks and Newt were all about them teleporting eggs, while Shaw was all about trusting David and him "loving" her despite them not even liking each other in Prometheus and Shaw not even wanting to take David with her.

TWJones

TWJones

I really like Shaw as a character - her determination, her belief that answers could be found.

She found herself in a position with no one left to help her besides David. There is such a rich and interesting story to be unpacked from their time on Paradise, and David even alludes to some of it in the Advent short film. I would have loved to see Shaw watching David become more and more unstable, watch as she tries to figure out a way to survive his increasingly overt attraction to her etc. That could have been a fear and tension filled sequence of events, all taking place on a world that is foreign, eerie, and filled with the bodies of people David has killed.

Although, with how they left it in the film, it leaves a lot to the imagination, and I find myself almost writing scenes about what happened. And in some ways, that is the fun of not knowing everything. It feels creepier than knowing it all.

So, Shaw's death got under my skin for sure. And the way her body appeared, the obvious experimentation...I just kept asking myself "What happened, Shaw? When did you know that you weren't going to survive?"

Highland

Highland

I wouldn't say I was disappointed, but I did think Shaw was a good character, better than Daniels. I don't know why she gets flack, she did a pretty damn good job. She acted excited at the prospect of new life and frightened at the prospect of dying. More than can be said of the drones in Covenant.

Newt was just a victim of a crappy script. I'd rather they worked her out of it another way.

JokersWarPig

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

After seeing Covenant, my mother's reaction was "killing Shaw was just like the Marine and little girl dying in Alien 3." I thought that was funny.

Shinawi

Shinawi

They were the reasons why I wanted to watch the sequels. I was very disappointed that I wouldn't see much of them in those sequels. All that wait for nothing.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Disappointed.
Just expected her part to be a little bigger.
Would've loved to see David and her arrive in a lost paradise and do some exploring.

Vermillion

Vermillion

Newt's death gets me more.
She's a kid.  Innocent. Happy.

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Both were so groan inducing and lazy. Why am I investing in the characters in these movies.

Alionic

Alionic

Having Hicks and Newt die at the beginning of Alien 3 was good because it immediately told the audience that this wasn't going to be a remake of ALIENS.

Shaw's death didn't bother me because David is a much better character.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed