Alien fan feeling betrayed by Alien fans

Started by dkwookie, Oct 16, 2017, 09:19:51 PM

Author
Alien fan feeling betrayed by Alien fans (Read 5,335 times)

dkwookie

When Covenant came out and the build up I came here to get a build up for the film. The review from Hicks was negative 6 out of 10. Which for him is a 4. Then the whole forum went mad against the film and in particular Ridley.
One member said he hopes Ridley dies.
I have watched Covenant 5 times in the last week on  home vid and it's getting better each time I watch it. I had issues with the last third pacing when I saw it in cinemas but it feels miles better on tv.
I am still seeing stuff about Ridley should give up being a director on YouTube and online. It's such a huge insult to a guy who has given me more films I enjoy than any other filmaker.
Is this a younger fan thing? I was an alien fan since I was 9 back in 79 so I have been here from the start

Predaker

I don't think it's necessarily to do with fans hating or disliking it because they're younger. I love Covenant myself but recognize how it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Beyond that you've got some fans who were really expecting something different and wanted to learn more about the engineers, or they're disappointed that David is portrayed as the progenitor of the Alien.

Baron Von Marlon

People online like to exaggerate.
Can't keep count of how many times I've read "Worst movie ever!" about movies that certainly weren't.
And they like to point fingers at directors, cast members, writers,... when it's the studio boss(es) who make big and/or final decisions.

And you know all the Ridley haters will watch the Covenant sequel anyway.

Ridley 79

Ridley 79

Quote from: dkwookie on Oct 16, 2017, 09:19:51 PM
When Covenant came out and the build up I came here to get a build up for the film. The review from Hicks was negative 6 out of 10. Which for him is a 4. Then the whole forum went mad against the film and in particular Ridley.
One member said he hopes Ridley dies.
I have watched Covenant 5 times in the last week on  home vid and it's getting better each time I watch it. I had issues with the last third pacing when I saw it in cinemas but it feels miles better on tv.
I am still seeing stuff about Ridley should give up being a director on YouTube and online. It's such a huge insult to a guy who has given me more films I enjoy than any other filmaker.
Is this a younger fan thing? I was an alien fan since I was 9 back in 79 so I have been here from the start

Not sure it has to do with how old a viewer is.

I think there is a trend amongst some fans, whatever film sequel, prequel, franchise, Star wars, Blade Runner 2049, for example, to want to see what they liked in previous films rather than see risks taken or something that isn't expected.

Like you I love Covenant, I felt it has so many great ideas, magnificent photography daring ideas, subversive ending and really unexpected stuffs.

As a fan I want to be surprised, I like risks taken, this why I prefer Covenant over 2049 or Star Wars episode 3 over 7. I am for innovation or expanding universe.

To be honest I still find Covenant is an uneven movie and while I love it for the reasons I've mentioned, I still find things that felt wrong like editing or too much music for example.

I think a director's cut would have been interesting and since it didn't happened I edited my version of Covenant. If you're curious feel free to check it out : https://yadi.sk/i/rqBYiGMF3NjW4U

That being said I agree with you, Ridley is an amazing director and maybe doesn't make as incredible movies as he used to, nevertheless still so good ideas and talent at almost 80.

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 16, 2017, 10:42:52 PM
People online like to exaggerate.
Can't keep count of how many times I've read "Worst movie ever!" about movies that certainly weren't.
And they like to point fingers at directors, cast members, writers,... when it's the studio boss(es) who make big and/or final decisions.

And you know all the Ridley haters will watch the Covenant sequel anyway.

Completely agree, "worst movie ever" 1 out of 10 on IMDB ratings, and vice versa great ratings or reviews for films that aren't that good.

Definitely overreactions on the internet an yes I think as you said that they'll see the next one anyway ;)

SM

QuotePeople online like to exaggerate.

Quite.  The whole forum didn't hate it.  75% of the ratings give it 3/5 or higher.  Safe to say the other 25% hated it.  Often for very legitimate reasons.

Highland

Alien fans have been in house fighting wayyyy before we even got past the third movie.

Predator fans however...much more pleasant.

#waits behind door to see what happens.

SM

I've always found the vein of misogyny utterly charming.

skhellter

#brosbeforehos
#justsaynototitsonpredators
#Keepthepredatorsausagefestgoing

Scorpio

I think it was all the hype of Alien 5, and let's face it most 'Alien' fans are actually 'Aliens' fans.

Alien 5 as envisioned by Blomkamp, would have been an absolute disaster IMO, just going by his track record.

But there are fans who just want 'more Aliens'.

skhellter

skhellter

Give AVP to Blomkamp.

Give Alien 5 to someone like Alex Garland.  :P
But let Ridley finish the prequels with a 3rd film :)

Keep Blomkamp as head of the art department or something.
I remember he made some comments about preferring that to directorial duties
after Chappie got some really bad reviews.

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 17, 2017, 03:56:24 AM
I think it was all the hype of Alien 5, and let's face it most 'Alien' fans are actually 'Aliens' fans.

Alien 5 as envisioned by Blomkamp, would have been an absolute disaster IMO, just going by his track record.

I think the opposite is true. Very rarely have I seen anyone like Aliens and not like Alien. The other way round though, plenty.

CainsSon

CainsSon

I also feel differently about this fan base after the backlash to Covenant. I understood the division over Prometheus because it was so left-field. But after Covenant, I think IMO the fanbase isn't interested in being objective at all. Objectively speaking, it's just nothing deserving of the derision it gets. Its not my favorite. But this either Alien 6 or Alien 8. After the garbage that we've seen in the past, I just cant get behind people holding it up to Alien and Aliens and honestly demanding much more.

I remember before hand, someone did a podcast making an interesting point: Fans don't know what they want. They especially don't know what they want next. They know what they had and loved, but they can't wrap their minds around the idea that you can't do the same thing twice and get the same results.

I dont mean it to sound Ivory Tower of me. I just think people expect way to much and dish out a lot more crap then they are receiving at this point. Prometheus and Covenant may not be what I wanted Ridley Scott to do, but they are miles better than the last 3 mountains of crap we got.

In another way, I think it really comes down to accepting change and what degree of change people are willing to accept. \

At this point, I get the impression none of these people trashing RS or Covenant could come up with something better that wouldnt inspire the same derision from "fans." IMO that either means the series is legitimately dead in the water ( and I have too much faith in it to think that ) or people are being unreasonable.

That said, I think there are plenty of reasonable solutions to the things people may not like about Covenant, for sure!

tleilaxu

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 17, 2017, 03:56:24 AM

Not to sound like a broken record here, but we're dealing with a guy who's best movie was literally apartheid with space-crabs. The Alien community truly dodged a bullet here.

Rudiger

@ dkwookie

Why on earth are you bothered by what other people think?

This forum, like most others, is a (mostly) fun place to come and share views and, yes, even argue.

But if you're expecting entirely sensible and reasoned debate, you're going to be disappointed.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: CainsSon on Oct 17, 2017, 06:08:36 AM
I remember before hand, someone did a podcast making an interesting point: Fans don't know what they want. They especially don't know what they want next. They know what they had and loved, but they can't wrap their minds around the idea that you can't do the same thing twice and get the same results.
Because that idea is objectively false. Alien:Isolation was a retread of Alien (with some bits of Aliens) and got the same results; The Force Awakens was a retread of A New Hope (with some bits of The Empire Strikes Back) and got the same results; Terminator 2 was a retread of Terminator and got the same results. Doing the same thing twice can be good if done well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed