This is not a game.

Started by Berend, Oct 15, 2017, 08:02:31 AM

Author
This is not a game. (Read 4,955 times)

Berend

Berend

This a work of art.

Even after 3 years of playing it still ranks as one of the best games I've ever played.

You can just feel the passion that was put into it, all the details in the environment, the love for the world and in particular the original Alien movie.

Part of me wishes they'd come up with a sequel, and yet this one was already satisfying enough. And basically, we already have a sequel with J. cameron's aliens don't we?

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

I enjoy it immensely on my 54-inch HD screen, even though parts of it creep me out considerably. My wife enjoys it as a spectator sport. I often find I have to take a break due to the tension, and she's all "but you're doing so well". ;) 

I am still trying to break the conditioning that years of "you only have so many lives, so don't get killed" has instilled. Only when I get reckless do I find myself actually getting a rush out of the gameplay. (I have it on PlayStation, so unfortunately I cannot install a patch to let me lock the Big Chap in the vents while I go over every bloody detail of the environment to see all the cool stuff they packed in.)

Work of art? Yessir, you have my vote!

(Man, I really need to go play this again.)   ;D

bacchus

bacchus

I love it. Not as a game, but as an experience. The attention to detail, the quietness, the atmosphere, the tension and the genuine feeling of being isolated and alone on that ship. Not many other games I've enjoyed this much with this level of immersion.

If you liked the experience/atmosphere and style of the game then Resident Evil 7 is quite similar.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Work of art indeed and did a great deal to help the Alien franchise considering that the last game was A;CM and the last film to Xenomorphs in it back then was AVP:R.
Best Alien game ever and it shows how good an Alien can be if they just don't trying to emulate Aliens. The first film is a good source of reference and iconic moments too.

predator2rules

predator2rules

I remember playing this game lights out, headphones on on a 50 inch LCD. I had to turn the game off I was so scared. That was two years ago. I want to play it but my nerves were shot. Best game in years

Biggles

Biggles

I bought it late, played until the Alien turned up, soiled myself and stopped playing it for about another year until Covenant hype began to build. Then thought 'come on, you're a grown man' and got into it properly. I discovered that I could deal with the terror if there was someone else in the room or if I was listening to youtube while playing. Really took the edge off.

Mind you, I remember jumping when Nazis shouted at me in Wolfenstein 3D, so I'm clearly a wimp (as my wife liked to remind me while playing Isolation).

Such a great game though, and one of the best renditions of the creature ever. I still have the DLC to play.

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Perfect organism

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE

I own this game for 360 and I've never beaten it. I got to the part where the androids first show up and they keep seeing me and killing me to death. So I put it back on the shelf where it has stayed, unfinished. How bad am I f**king up?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Remember it's a stealth game and you have to play it like one.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: WIZARDSxNEVERxDIE on Jan 08, 2018, 10:09:20 PM
I own this game for 360 and I've never beaten it. I got to the part where the androids first show up and they keep seeing me and killing me to death. So I put it back on the shelf where it has stayed, unfinished. How bad am I f**king up?

The Androids aren't always immediately aggressive from the get-go. Sometimes they only respond to your behavior. If you're doing 'unauthorised" business, for example. Best to run away, avoid them. Hide "smartly" though. If you aren't quick enough to get away and hide in a locker or something they'll just grab you and pull you right out.

When all else fails you can use stun batons and beat them to death.

Shinawi

Shinawi

I remember seeing a comic on the forum. Amanda is scared and hiding from the xenomorph in the first frame. In the second frame, she is holding a flamethrower and demanding the xenomorph to come out of the ventilation that it's hiding inside of. It certainly looked that way when I watched a walkthrough on YouTube.

Xenomania

Xenomania

Quote from: Shinawi on Jan 11, 2018, 02:12:35 PM
I remember seeing a comic on the forum. Amanda is scared and hiding from the xenomorph in the first frame. In the second frame, she is holding a flamethrower and demanding the xenomorph to come out of the ventilation that it's hiding inside of. It certainly looked that way when I watched a walkthrough on YouTube.
Yeah, once you realise how effective the flamer is it takes some of the terror away, at least on difficulties below Nightmare where you can find ample amounts of fuel.

Would have been cool to have a new game plus or an extra difficulty level where you don't get the flamethrower at all, and have to keep on building explosives and molotovs to fend the beast off. 8)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I think the flamethrower is still balanced out nicely because I found with overuse the Alien would learn to be cautious, or just charge through it anyway!

blood.

blood.

This game still scares the crap out of me. I gives me anxiety attacks ffs LOL

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

For me, it's one the best entries in the franchise in a long while. The story isn't too innovative, but the performance and atmosphere were excellent! I have never feared an alien like this one. I enjoy the DLCs as well and the nightmare difficulty so much. Not a perfect game, but so much thought and work was put in this game. CA respected the franchise.
Now if only Stompy would not walk like an elephant...  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed