Ok, so I watched it again last night.

Started by Berend, Oct 13, 2017, 04:33:06 AM

Author
Ok, so I watched it again last night. (Read 1,537 times)

Berend

I was affraid it wasn't going to hold up well. But it surprisingly did.

I watched it with a friend who only knows of the xenomorph by the AVP films, the PS3 game and the Prometheus film which we saw some years ago.
And he was just shocked at how verocious it was in this film. He was like: "geez, wasn't a woman able to hold one off with a spear one time? These things are lethal"

And he loved the revelation of where the xenomorph and the eggs came from. He said: " well after bloody 21 years, they finnally told us "  true enough, he isn't majorly invested in the franchise, but it's fun seeing such a positive reaction to it.

Anyway, I saw it the first time with my dad and he too was loving it ( immediatly demanded a binge watch of the other movies )  which me leds to believe, that casual audiences probably don't have a lot of problems with the things we do.
Those who haven't spend the last 5 years theorizing what the meaning behind the things in Prometheus and how we would have wanted it to end.

tleilaxu

I think many in the casual audience hated it for the same reasons many people here did. Ultimately it's narrative and expectation dependent. I agree that the ferocity was great. It's been restored to the biological figuratively-rape-to-death-machine it was always supposed to be. Scott's comment about it being able to come back together after having been severed into multiple parts just adds to the unkillable aspect.

Scorpio

That's why I love the xenomorph in Alien Covenant as well.  Last time we saw the xenomorph on screen, it was being manhandled by a predator.

Highland

Quotethat casual audiences probably don't have a lot of problems with the things we do

Most of my non hardcore friends mentioned a lot of the things we talk about here as far as problems go.

Saying that, I think it's a decent movie on it's own if it wasn't an Alien movie. The main problem from a casual standpoint would be the Prometheus half of the film. Flash back scenes, Shaw, Black Goo stuff - it's probably all a bit pointless to them, maybe even a bit confusing. I'd imagine for a lot of casuals it'll be a reverse situation, where I don't like the last third, they probably only like the last third. 

It has about a 57% audience approval on RT, which is probably a fair reflection of the movie's different acts.

whiterabbit

Ridley Scott definitely went the way of the fast zombie to make the alien a true danger again... but then he also had it get caught up in some netting. If he had some balls he should have let the alien tear Daniels to shreds before having it murder Tennessee in cold blood. That would have set up an alien vs David match up. Yea David would have won but that would have been more interesting.

Predaker

Quote from: whiterabbit on Oct 13, 2017, 11:47:31 PM
Ridley Scott definitely went the way of the fast zombie to make the alien a true danger again... but then he also had it get caught up in some netting. If he had some balls he should have let the alien tear Daniels to shreds before having it murder Tennessee in cold blood. That would have set up an alien vs David match up. Yea David would have won but that would have been more interesting.

I would have liked for Daniels to still survive but have the Alien kill Tennessee. That moment going into sleep, when she realized it was David and not Walter, was absolutely wrenching.

PsyKore

Some of the hatred this movie got was so overboard. You read some reviews on IMDB and the like, and it's like they take pride in bashing it. It really does lower your faith in humanity sometimes. I feel it's unfair because it is a great movie. It's got flaws but it's still great.

Scorpio

^Agreed.  Every movie has 'flaws' though.

Quote from: Predaker on Oct 13, 2017, 11:57:52 PM

I would have liked for Daniels to still survive but have the Alien kill Tennessee.

I'm not the biggest fan of Danny McBride, but him surviving makes the next movie interesting because he doesn't know that Walter is David.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: PsyKore on Oct 14, 2017, 12:17:03 AM
Some of the hatred this movie got was so overboard. You read some reviews on IMDB and the like, and it's like they take pride in bashing it. It really does lower your faith in humanity sometimes. I feel it's unfair because it is a great movie. It's got flaws but it's still great.

There are always trolls. I think in general the feeling wasn't hate, just disappointment, but then nothing really lives up these days.

Scorpio

Explanation for the trolls could have something to do with a certain film that got cancelled because of this one.  Just a theory, mind you.  :)

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 14, 2017, 11:20:05 AM
Explanation for the trolls could have something to do with a certain film that got cancelled because of this one.  Just a theory, mind you.  :)

I don't think blomkamps film was ever really on the radar. Always seemed like a pipe dream to me.

Predaker

Quote from: Highland on Oct 14, 2017, 01:32:21 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 14, 2017, 11:20:05 AM

I don't think blomkamps film was ever really on the radar. Always seemed like a pipe dream to me.

Maybe he meant the "true sequel" to Prometheus.  :laugh:

theiss2003

Quote from: tleilaxu on Oct 13, 2017, 09:52:47 PM
Scott's comment about it being able to come back together after having been severed into multiple parts just adds to the unkillable aspect.

There is no "coming back together". There were 2 xenomorphs in the movie. The one born by Oram got crushed and killed outside the lander, the other one was born by Lope.

Predaker

Quote from: theiss2003 on Oct 16, 2017, 01:28:06 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Oct 13, 2017, 09:52:47 PM
Scott's comment about it being able to come back together after having been severed into multiple parts just adds to the unkillable aspect.

There is no "coming back together". There were 2 xenomorphs in the movie. The one born by Oram got crushed and killed outside the lander, the other one was born by Lope.

It wasn't in the film, just a comment from Scott about the first Alien Daniels' killed with the crane.

bb-15

Quote from: Berend on Oct 13, 2017, 04:33:06 AM

I was affraid it wasn't going to hold up well. But it surprisingly did.

I watched it with a friend who only knows of the xenomorph by the AVP films, the PS3 game and the Prometheus film which we saw some years ago.
And he was just shocked at how verocious it was in this film. He was like: "geez, wasn't a woman able to hold one off with a spear one time? These things are lethal"

And he loved the revelation of where the xenomorph and the eggs came from. He said: " well after bloody 21 years, they finnally told us "  true enough, he isn't majorly invested in the franchise, but it's fun seeing such a positive reaction to it.

Anyway, I saw it the first time with my dad and he too was loving it ( immediatly demanded a binge watch of the other movies )  which me leds to believe, that casual audiences probably don't have a lot of problems with the things we do.
Those who haven't spend the last 5 years theorizing what the meaning behind the things in Prometheus and how we would have wanted it to end.

It's personal taste. I like "Covenant".
And you, your friends/family and me are not alone.
On IMDb;
8522 gave it a    10/10 rating
8363 rated it    9/10
26257 scored it 8/10 (which is my rating).
46688 had it at 7/10.

Lots of people like this movie.
That gets forgotten sometimes.

- This is not to say that the people who like "Covenant" are absolutely right.
It's again, personal taste.

- I just wish it had been released in August and not in May where it was up against Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Pirates of the Caribbean in the same month and Wonder Woman the first week of June. A later release and more people would have seen it imo.

;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed