BladeGhost's Doom³ Alien/Predator/Prometheus Mods

Started by RidgeTop, Oct 09, 2017, 06:53:10 PM

Author
BladeGhost's Doom³ Alien/Predator/Prometheus Mods (Read 1,921 times)

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

A few years back I discovered an Event Horizon Doom³ mod. Being both a fan of that film and that game, I installed it and thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of it. After that I noticed the author, John Ivan aka "BladeGhost", had moved onto a full scale Prometheus mod that essentially retold the film with a number of extra elements thrown in. I played through that as well and I was quite impressed how accurately he was able to recreate the environments from the film.

Most recently he's done a Predator mod for the game with a number of missions to launch from a mother-ship hub, recreating some locations from the films and even the first level of the Predator campaign from Rebellion's AVP (1999). He's worked on additional mods from properties such as Stargate, Phantasm, and Blade Runner. His experience goes back to modding the original PC AVP as well, although I'm less familiar with his work there and plan on checking that out this week.

You can find his YouTube Channel here, and his mods currently available for download here.

Some examples of his projects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yKLO7DTVeY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkuselhKpeU

We've definitely had a dry spell since Alien: Isolation on the games side of things, which has prompted me to go back and explore the older titles as well as mods made from passionate fans.

Cpl. Hicks and I will be having BladeGhost on an upcoming podcast shortly to talk about his work as well as modding in general. We've actually been meaning to have him on for quite some time but Covenant reporting and a host of other obligations seemed to get in our way. If you have any questions you'd like us to ask during the podcast, please PM them to me or Cpl. Hicks.

BladeGhost is also a member of our forum so you'll likely see him on here.

bladeghost

Thanks everyone ,I'll be happy to answer any questions from the community here , Happy Cheers! J

Stitch

I tried the Prometheus mod but couldn't finish it. It kept crashing after the first level. Shame, because it was pretty good up until then.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Stitch on Oct 11, 2017, 11:48:20 PM
I tried the Prometheus mod but couldn't finish it. It kept crashing after the first level. Shame, because it was pretty good up until then.

I believe the mod has had a patch, do you have the latest version?

Corporal Hicks

There was definitely a patch for Prometheus. You just had to copy it over the existing files from the first download.

I gotta say, I'm really impressed by how much effort you've clearly gone to to re-create Prometheus in game form.

windebieste

Bladeghost aka Scythewraith.  He's been modding for around 20 years now.

-Windebieste.

Stitch

Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 12, 2017, 04:00:55 AM
Quote from: Stitch on Oct 11, 2017, 11:48:20 PM

I believe the mod has had a patch, do you have the latest version?
I'll have to check. Probably not, so I'll need to update.

bladeghost

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 12, 2017, 07:40:04 AM
Bladeghost aka Scythewraith.  He's been modding for around 20 years now.

-Windebieste.

Almost yet very close, Hi Winde!

Olde

Hey Bladeghost, I know this isn't really relevant to your current ventures, but just for the sake of posterity, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your role in the Cancer Black mod and what it was like working with the AMP Team? I know you did some maps for them. Also I'm a little curious about your OPP (Open Pyramid Project) map for AvP1, which is possibly the most extensive AvP map ever made; what were your motivations behind creating the map and did you have any relation to the AvP2 project of the same name?

bladeghost

Quote from: Olde on Oct 14, 2017, 05:58:40 PM
Hey Bladeghost, I know this isn't really relevant to your current ventures, but just for the sake of posterity, I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about your role in the Cancer Black mod and what it was like working with the AMP Team? I know you did some maps for them. Also I'm a little curious about your OPP (Open Pyramid Project) map for AvP1, which is possibly the most extensive AvP map ever made; what were your motivations behind creating the map and did you have any relation to the AvP2 project of the same name?
Hi Olde, I did work with Eldritch and SHole from Sweden and Norway on cancer black and I did build some levels for that project, I'm not sure if they were used I do however still have the project I just haven't played it yet after all these years. It was an interesting experience working with fellow modders from overseas and building a project we mutually appreciated, as for The OPP project yes I did work with Windebieste on that project providing some statues ,some textures and the outer pyramid models, Under the Hunters Moon is an amazing work of art, I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't tried it. at the same time winde was working on opp I did make my own version for the original avp but it was just so large that players would always get lost and have no interaction so that was more of an experiment than anything else. fun to make but for avp1999 it was a bit too large, so I had incorporated that into my Blade Yautja project. and can be played as a single player adventure now.

bladeghost

bladeghost

Happy to see this and as an alien too, well done!

and this one too and yes this level is way difficult, again thanks for posting olde. Thanks! J

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Oh man, you really do great work blade. Thanks to Olde for publishing them and for John for posting. Is that Event Horizon map still available online anywhere?

Quote from: bladeghost on Oct 14, 2017, 08:32:38 PM
as for The OPP project yes I did work with Windebieste on that project providing some statues ,some textures and the outer pyramid models, Under the Hunters Moon is an amazing work of art, I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't tried it. at the same time winde was working on opp I did make my own version for the original avp but it was just so large that players would always get lost and have no interaction so that was more of an experiment than anything else. fun to make but for avp1999 it was a bit too large, so I had incorporated that into my Blade Yautja project. and can be played as a single player adventure now.

I think OPP for AvP2 was made when the game population was on its downturn too, unfortunately. I remember doing some testing for them but I don't recall every really getting to play a fullscale game. It's a shame - for both AvP1 and 2 - as I remember the map being really interesting.

bladeghost

You can always try the Antartica level from Blade Yautja for the time being.

Olde

Quote from: bladeghost on Oct 25, 2017, 02:41:53 AM
Happy to see this and as an alien too, well done!
and this one too and yes this level is way difficult, again thanks for posting olde. Thanks! J
No problem, thanks for the shout-out. I have some of your other levels recorded too.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 27, 2017, 07:07:07 AMIs that Event Horizon map still available online anywhere?
Aside from work specifically asked to be not published, every public map that was finished and even some that were not finished are available in here: http://www.moddb.com/games/aliens-vs-predator/addons/universal-map-pack

Quote from: bladeghost on Oct 14, 2017, 08:32:38 PM
Hi Olde, I did work with Eldritch and SHole from Sweden and Norway on cancer black and I did build some levels for that project, I'm not sure if they were used I do however still have the project I just haven't played it yet after all these years. It was an interesting experience working with fellow modders from overseas and building a project we mutually appreciated
I heard a bit of a different take on it. Maybe the conversation is best left to PM. However, at least some of your work was used for Cancer Black, notably a level that begins underwater and then has the player moving about a rather desert wasteland, which was eventually later adapted to be the introduction to the first campaign mission Waterfall in Mad_Max_RW's Redux mod.

Quote from: bladeghost on Oct 14, 2017, 08:32:38 PMas for The OPP project yes I did work with Windebieste on that project providing some statues ,some textures and the outer pyramid models, Under the Hunters Moon is an amazing work of art, I highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't tried it. at the same time winde was working on opp I did make my own version for the original avp but it was just so large that players would always get lost and have no interaction so that was more of an experiment than anything else. fun to make but for avp1999 it was a bit too large, so I had incorporated that into my Blade Yautja project. and can be played as a single player adventure now.
It's perhaps too large for a standard deathmatch but not too large for a kind of adventure mode per se, or to play cooperatively. You may find it interesting, or maybe a bit disheartening, to know that one of the most valuable areas in that whole map for veteran players is the area with the ship outside. Even though you're not supposed to be able to access it, due to a "bug" of sorts, the player can travel all the way down there. Since it's so big, empty, and has a lot of straight walls, it is a great place for alien training, both for sparring practice and to practice some unique alien maneuvers that involve essentially a more complex form of bunny-hopping.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed