Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over.

Started by Ingwar, Oct 06, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

Author
Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over. (Read 33,723 times)

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Kane's other son on Nov 02, 2017, 01:57:24 PM
There is one fundamental error to this reasoning. Audiences didn't reject Scott's Engineer / David mythology. There's no evidence (the posts of some opinionated hardcore fans are anecdotal, at best).
Audiences just don't care for yet another chestbursting scene. It's more of the same. There are no surprises. The beast is cooked.
If Alien is to survive, it has to move even further into Prometheus territory.

No offence but that's just rubbish.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 02, 2017, 02:35:40 PM
Quote from: Kane's other son on Nov 02, 2017, 01:57:24 PM
There is one fundamental error to this reasoning. Audiences didn't reject Scott's Engineer / David mythology. There's no evidence (the posts of some opinionated hardcore fans are anecdotal, at best).
Other than the hard data documenting the film's nosedive at the box office on its second week, you mean:
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/news/a829385/alien-covenant-drops-us-box-office-second-week/

Alien:Covenant's box office figures tell a very simple story: People gave it a chance on its first week, saw how terrible the film is, spread the word and doomed the film's box office chances.

Absolutely this. Covenant was savaged by word of mouth. Lots of evidence to support this as well with its poor Cinemascore rating, negative Rotten Tomatoes audience score and a simple trawl through Twitter.

I don't think the beast is cooked, I just think Scott f**ked it.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 02, 2017, 04:02:35 PMStar Wars: The Force Awakens springs to mind...

Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi.

Rudiger

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 02, 2017, 05:00:10 PM
Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 02, 2017, 04:02:35 PMStar Wars: The Force Awakens springs to mind...

Star Wars is fantasy not sci-fi.

Robots, space ships, aliens, blasters, lightsabers, inter-galactic travel, dystopian society. Of course it's sci-fi.

Jonesy1974

Technically Star Wars is si-fi but we all know it's a ompletley different beast so isn't relevant to a discussion on sci fi BO in my opinion.

Arrival did well compared to budget but for bums on seats it didn't set the world alight even though it had glowing reviews.

Rudiger

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on Nov 02, 2017, 05:20:06 PM
Technically Star Wars is si-fi but we all know it's a ompletley different beast so isn't relevant to a discussion on sci fi BO in my opinion.

Arrival did well compared to budget but for bums on seats it didn't set the world alight even though it had glowing reviews.

So what you're really talking about is a niche market within the wider sci-fi genre.

Jonesy1974

I think sci fi is a niche market, at least at this moment in time. People don't seem to be too interested in going to see sci fi films regardless of word of mouth or reviews.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 02, 2017, 05:11:09 PMRobots, space ships, aliens, blasters, lightsabers, inter-galactic travel, dystopian society. Of course it's sci-fi.

Science-fiction:
fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

Almost everything in the movie is made to look cool all while throwing science out the window. It's grounded in fantasy.
With the addition of the force it's basically knights and wizards in space.
The movie even starts like some fairytale: "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away."

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Nov 02, 2017, 06:27:50 PM
Quote from: Rudiger on Nov 02, 2017, 05:11:09 PMRobots, space ships, aliens, blasters, lightsabers, inter-galactic travel, dystopian society. Of course it's sci-fi.

Science-fiction:
fiction based on imagined future scientific or technological advances and major social or environmental changes, frequently portraying space or time travel and life on other planets.

Did you read your own definition? What exactly happened there?

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 02, 2017, 06:41:16 PMDid you read your own definition? What exactly happened there?

Did you read the rest of my post?
Or did you choose to ignore it in order to start another one of your delightful discussions?

Paranoid Android

I did. Nothing in your post changes the fact that the definition you yourself provided describes Star Wars to a tee, which is why your argument is so bizarre.

TWJones

The Martian is another example of a sci-fi film doing really well, and perhaps serves to prove the point that it's not necessarily the genre, but rather how it's done, that fills seats.

Maybe people are tired of so many movie that depict ETs as wanting to kill us. Personally, I would love to see more realistic sci-fi films like The Martian, Interstellar, and even Contact.

Jonesy1974

The Martian is a good example, I'd forgotten about that one.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Nov 02, 2017, 07:24:05 PM
I did. Nothing in your post changes the fact that the definition you yourself provided describes Star Wars to a tee, which is why your argument is so bizarre.

If you leave out the magic of the force and the fact that the movie's set in the past and not in the future, sure.

Paranoid Android

I now see that you did not read your own definition to sci fi. If you had, you'd have seen that none of the things you just mentioned are relevant to said definition.

Ingwar

It's space opera. Fantasy hidden behind science fiction (more fiction than science) aesthetics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed