Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over.

Started by Ingwar, Oct 06, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

Author
Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over. (Read 33,728 times)

Huggs

Well, there it is. I wish Ridley would have taken the A.I. road toward the Blade Runner universe instead, and allowed somebody else to take the Alien franchise in a direction similar to either of the first two films. Granted, we wouldn't have Prometheus, but I think it would've improved both franchises. Finishing what you started sounds good, but making a good movie is more important.

Rudiger

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 11, 2017, 06:25:46 AM
Well, there it is. I wish Ridley would have taken the A.I. road toward the Blade Runner universe instead, and allowed somebody else to take the Alien franchise in a direction similar to either of the first two films. Granted, we wouldn't have Prometheus, but I think it would've improved both franchises. Finishing what you started sounds good, but making a good movie is more important.

Alien universe has androids, so A.I. is logical. Blade Runner universe has replicants, so A.I. would be illogical. If anything, Blade Runner is about A.H. (artificial humanity).

Paranoid Android

Quote from: Rudiger on Oct 11, 2017, 07:35:16 AM
Alien universe has androids, so A.I. is logical. Blade Runner universe has replicants, so A.I. would be illogical. If anything, Blade Runner is about A.H. (artificial humanity).
The androids in the Alien universe prefer the term "artificial person". As the saying goes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20B4Dvk_9cY

Rudiger

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Oct 11, 2017, 09:38:45 AM
The androids in the Alien universe prefer the term "artificial person".

;D Good catch. I'm hanging my head in shame.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: Naissus on Oct 11, 2017, 06:14:26 AM
Was that Dan O'Bannon that came up with that idea?  I meant within the context of the original movie and the themes that played out.

a) Dan O'Bannon's Original Alien

The facehugger soon dies and falls off the host, the inseminated creature, an animal comparable to a cow is led off to an enclosure somewhere to await the birth and the foetus develops inside.
The host is just an incubator for the things that will ultimately emerge, eventually chewing its way out and killing its host.
The creature, known as the chestburster is the Alien's second stage, and it simply runs about eating, mindlessly carnivorous.
It's tremendously hungry and needs to reproduce.
But at this stage, the creature is still controlled and nurtured by adult aliens. It grows to maturity with incredible speed, until the chestburster begins losing appendages and becomes more and more harmless.
Finally, its bloodlust gone, the Alien becomes a mild, intelligent creature, capable of art and architecture, which lives a full , scholarly life of 200 years.

http://alienexplorations.blogspot.be/2009/06/e-facehugger-to-adult.html

D88M

I dont know what to think at this point, just no more missing footage please

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Naissus on Oct 11, 2017, 05:52:19 AM
The original Alien background was simple.  Cosmic ancient terror from beyond the stars or simply Lovecraftian.  With setting the creation of the Xenomorph from ???? to Alien Covenant reduces that sense of unknowing that causes us to fear it.  Making David the creator retcons the older movies and diminishes the creature.
Well then I guess I've been watching these movies wrong for the past 20 years, because not knowing where the aliens came from never made them scarier to me.  The body horror elements and ferocity of the creatures made them scary.  That's still there no matter where they came from.

And I don't see how David being the creator retcons anything.  All it retcons is what we assumed to be true, not what the movies actually presented as true.

SM

Yep (the as yet unknown origin of the Derelict notwithstanding).

Jango1201

I never bought the derelict housed the massive chamber with the eggs. I always liked the theory of a facility under the ship. With that being said, it still could have housed the black goo like the ship in Covenant. The beacon is still active, warning of the goo, not eggs. I believe that David finds the crashed/landed ship and proceeds to transform the colonists on the Covenant into eggs or creates eggs from them. With a facility underneath, he stores them and waits for a passing ship. Just a thought.

monkeylove

If Alien takes place less than two decades after Covenant, the I wonder what a film that bridges the two will contain, unless the plan is not to do so.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 11, 2017, 10:52:02 PM
I never bought the derelict housed the massive chamber with the eggs. I always liked the theory of a facility under the ship. With that being said, it still could have housed the black goo like the ship in Covenant. The beacon is still active, warning of the goo, not eggs. I believe that David finds the crashed/landed ship and proceeds to transform the colonists on the Covenant into eggs or creates eggs from them. With a facility underneath, he stores them and waits for a passing ship. Just a thought.

Interesting thought...so what if it crashes due to a black goo creature bursting out of the Engineer rather than an Alien? I think I could take that over it being David or other new human character.

Rudiger

If the obvious size difference between Dallas and the space jockey isn't retained, then it's a flat out fail in my book.

SM

You mean the difference in Alien between actors and scale doubles depending on the shot?

Olde

Quote from: Jango1201 on Oct 11, 2017, 10:52:02 PM
That could very well be the case and makes sense. After A:C but before Alien:

David finds a planetoid (LV-426) close enough to another engineer world (either homeworld or a planet colonised by them) to lure others to his location. David buries the Covenant just below the surface and sends out a distress beacon to lure said ships onto the planetoid. He spends roughly ten or so years using the embryos and colonists on the Covenant for his experimentation, creating eggs out of most of them. An Engineer ship comes along and lands on the planet. David tests his handiwork; maybe on the engineers, maybe on Daniels and Tennessee, maybe on both. Due to unforeseen events, he eventually gets his back pushed against a wall and has seemingly no way out. He dons a space engineer suit, absorbs some black goo, and grows to roughly 20 times his size (the black goo can apparently do anything in this universe, so why the hell not?). With his superior strength, he kills anyone and everyone who stands in his way, but in one last ditch effort, the final survivor tricks him into getting facehugged. He wakes up some time later but scoffs as he believes he's immune to the facehugger's effects. However, due to the black goo, he's somehow developed DNA and is more or less a living organism capable of harboring an alien inside (as I said, the black goo is basically a writer's way to have anything happen, so why the hell not). He gets in the iconic chair and prepares to take off but a chestburster bursts from him. He makes some last words that are supposed to be poignant but make the audience roll their eyes. Fire breaks out somehow and chars his body and burns part of the ship, including the alien. The ship's distress beacon goes off automatically. In a post-credits scene, we see W-Y receive the signal and order their nearest cargo ship to investigate.

I know it reads like fanfic, but honestly, I don't imagine the next movie really deviating all that much from the above.

Rudiger

Quote from: SM on Oct 12, 2017, 09:54:20 AM
You mean the difference in Alien between actors and scale doubles depending on the shot?

I mean that the original space jockey is huge in relation to Dallas, Lambert and Kane, as well as David and the engineers we see in Prometheus. You can see that in the long shots and the close ups. If they don't stay faithful to that, they will have failed in my book.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed