Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over.

Started by Ingwar, Oct 06, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

Author
Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over. (Read 34,633 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: RidgeTop on Oct 06, 2017, 09:32:09 PM
Just what we need, a third Alien film with Aliens hardly a part of it.

Honestly, I would have just preferred Prometheus 2: Covenant or Neomorph Covenant. I don't have any issues with films set in the Alien universe exploring other aspects of it, just don't shoehorn the Alien in like they did with Covenant. That's when the film went downhill for me.

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Oct 06, 2017, 10:06:28 PM
Just because your handling of the xenomorph was poor doesn't mean its run its course, Ridley.

I really do think it's time for his involvement to be reduced. His so-so's outnumber his good Alien films now.

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Oct 06, 2017, 10:46:02 PM
Would be cool if David creates his own bio-mechanical structure based on Engineer technology he picked up. Along with several creatures.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 06, 2017, 11:32:03 PM
If this means David turns Origae 6 into "Planet H.R. Giger Painting" I'm in.

As much as I'm desperate to see a return to a larger scale version of this asthetic, I'd hate for more "alien" stuff to become a product of mankind.

Quote from: SM on Oct 07, 2017, 12:11:55 PM
In Advent, however, he's a couple of light years the other side of Zeta 2 Reticuli.

Did Advent show spatial co-ordinates?

Rudiger

The problem for me has always been that Alien and Aliens (by far the only two movies of any real quality), are both very small films. The "universe" doesn't lend itself to the grand themes and ideas they are now trying to explore. The fit feels forced and unnatural.

SM

QuoteDid Advent show spatial co-ordinates?

Clicky

Corporal Hicks

Cool! Thanks.  :) Love the nod to Isolation.

SuicideDoors

I do like that Scott is widening the goal posts but there is only so much widening you can do before it's not really an Alien film, and seeing as that's what we're all here for....

I loved the note Covenant finished on and ideally a direct continuation of that would be cool - but at the same time, Ridley changes his mind so bloody often and his disappointing portrayal of the xenomorph in Covenant kinda has me hoping the baton is passed onto someone fresh.

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

Ridley can change his mind like every other director. Problem is, that people and fans especially are taking his words always too seriously. It would be much better if he doesnt say anything, he is super monitored for everything he says, but guess what? There are tons of directors that also change their minds, but the difference is that they dont say it in front of camera or in some discussion.

BonesawT101

BonesawT101

I honestly wouldn't be surprised, or object to, a reboot of sorts that essentially tells the same story as the original but with different characters

I do really enjoy Prometheus and Covenant and I am all for Ridley furthering his prequel story but essentually everyone wants the alien,  so why not give it to them 20th Century Fox?

Why not do both?

BishopShouldGo

RIDLEY MAKE YER SHINY SMART MOOVEE, AND THEN FOX CAN GO 'N MAKE A GOOEY TOOTHY MOOVEEEE CUZ THEY GOTTA BE MUTUALLY EXCLUSIIIIIVE.

Prometheus had it right and almost succeeded. We all want a movie that engages the mind, but we also want to see shit blow up and some gore.

Naissus

I just hope in the next movie we find out that David recreated the Xenomorph.  The Xenomorph, we know, being a forbidden weapon that has not been used or allowed to be used for thousands of years (Alien 1 Derelict) resulting in the complete extermination of David and any loose ends.

Predaker

Quote from: Naissus on Oct 11, 2017, 01:10:58 AM
I just hope in the next movie we find out that David recreated the Xenomorph.

Such a horrible idea that screams of fan angst. No thank you.

Naissus

Its more logical than finding out that David created the "perfect organism".

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Naissus on Oct 11, 2017, 01:34:36 AM
Its more logical than finding out that David created the "perfect organism".
I don't understand how it's logical.

What would be the narrative point in seeing an android recreate something that was already created?  The point prequels is usually to show origins, not just make up safe stuff that won't upset any fans that happens to take place before the other movies.

Naissus

The original Alien background was simple.  Cosmic ancient terror from beyond the stars or simply Lovecraftian.  With setting the creation of the Xenomorph from ???? to Alien Covenant reduces that sense of unknowing that causes us to fear it.  Making David the creator retcons the older movies and diminishes the creature.

SM

The original background was that it would slaughter all and sundry then settle down and become a highly intelligent being once its infant bloodlust was sated.

Naissus

Was that Dan O'Bannon that came up with that idea?  I meant within the context of the original movie and the themes that played out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed