Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over.

Started by Ingwar, Oct 06, 2017, 06:42:24 PM

Author
Scott: the evolution of Alien is nearly over. (Read 34,454 times)

SM

David was last seen in the film heading to Origae-6.

In Advent, however, he's a couple of light years the other side of Zeta 2 Reticuli.

skhellter

Yeah.
Had a brainfart.

I was confusing "paradise" with Origae-6.

DOH.

Whiskeybrewer

So this is another left turn?

XenoHunter99

This is his off-the-cuff thinking about Covenant 2 in this moment. He hasn't shed new light. We already know that Fassbender's android is the only character that matters to him. We already know Scott is tired of / bored with his iconic monster. None of this is news. Why do you think he handled the alien the way he did in Covenant? I think it's because Fox insisted he include it And he included it, but he showed it no love. It was rushed and by the numbers. It came across as an interruption of the David story, a retread of the original with none of the original's wonder, suspense or dread.

skhellter

skhellter

I thought Ridley was having way too much fun with the Aliens and Neomorphs, tbh.

The freedom given to him by cgi made him go a bit
"oooh and we're gonna do this and that and then
the Alien's gonna do THISS. It's gonna be awesome!"

The Alien was doing a lot of cool, actiony things....
There's some great shots of it in Covenant
where the camera is really showing the creature some love.
The problem is that the Alien never did any cool actually spooky things.

Ridley's biggest complaint about Alien Resurrection was that the Xeno was put in a cage.
That's a straight up "fanboi" complaint.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 07, 2017, 01:32:28 PM
The Alien was doing a lot of cool, actiony things....
There's some great shots of it in the film
where the camera is really showing the creature some love.
The problem is that the Alien never did any cool actually spooky things.

The problem is, the creature was never actually a threat. Daniels summarily executed both of them in less time and with less thought or planning than it takes to cook a meal. And the newborn xeno. So ridiculous!

skhellter

skhellter

The xeno's being dispatched way too easily by Daniels is a flaw of the writing.

and Scott isnt an auteur nor a super skilled storyteller. Man aint perfect.

But Ridley did show enough love via the way he directed the xenoaction.
It WAS cool action.

Although... you can definitely do some fanwanks (i did at least  :laugh:)
and say this was all due to the xeno just being a prototype at that stage..
which was true.. but doesnt excuse it entirely.

And i like the Newborn Xeno.  ;D
That one IS meant to be a weirdly-cute scene and it succeeds (much to the annoyance of some people.)
Haters gonna hate.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: skhellter on Oct 07, 2017, 01:58:20 PM
The xeno's being dispatched way too easily by Daniels is a flaw of the writing.

and Scott isnt an auteur nor a super skilled storyteller. Man aint perfect.

But Ridley did show enough love via the way he directed the xenoaction.
It WAS cool action.

Although... you can definitely do some fanwanks (i did at least  :laugh:)
and say this was all due to the xeno just being a prototype at that stage..
which was true.. but doesnt excuse it entirely.

And i like the Newborn Xeno.  ;D
That one IS meant to be a weirdly-cute scene and it succeeds (much to the annoyance of some people.)
Haters gonna hate.
Since Scott was in control of the writing, I 'm not buying the argument. Fanwanks are irrelevant. Weirdly cute has no place in an Alien movie. It was beautiful garbage, but garbage all the same. Namecalling means it's time to cease discussion with you. We're agreeing to disagree.

skhellter

what name calling?

wut.

BonesawT101

What frustrates me is how easily the creature is dispatched in Covenant. Two creatures fairly quickly taken care off. Daniels isnt even all that afraid of the alien. The so called perfect organism is made to look A LOT less perfect in comparison to a human. Arguably David is the perfect organism. I still like covenant, but this aspect does irk me somewhat. Especially as I grew up thinking the alien was almost completely indestructible.

skhellter

One aspect of the problem is that the film portrays the
Neomorph fairly well as a fierce creature...
and the Xenomorph ends up playing second fiddle.

I dont think the writers balanced the need to have the Xeno do "cool spooky, fearsome stuff"
with the need to have Daniels grow into a proper hero (finally using her climbing skills and athleticism that is only alluded to in the first act).

A better version of the film would just have Daniels using her skills to "barely survive" the encounters with the xeno.
Also. There should only have been 1 Xeno. Killing Lope offscreen was weak.

Evanus

How recent is this?

oram

oram

Yeah, whatever. Brace yourselves for the fleshy biomechanoid who is totally cooked. ::)

Just let's get it over with, so we finally can have a REAL alien movie in maybe 2028
Damn, will I be still alive then? ::)

Samhain13

Quote from: Martin morris on Oct 07, 2017, 02:03:10 AM
This guy is crazy.-The words of Hudson. This obsession with David is disturbing because his wife looks at him with disgust. He hates strong women, kills them, but he wants to further explore David. When Blade 2049 fails, I hope fox gets rid of this nut job. He must hate Sigourney Weaver for her success. If we are lucky, his current wife dumps him causing to die.
PS. I hate Michael  F, as Magnet, What does he do get his roles-makes you wonder!!!!!

This made me laugh way more than I should.

irn

Quote from: Marcus9000 on Oct 07, 2017, 01:19:52 AM
We all know that whatever happens in the next Alien film we need to know what caused LV426 ship and eggs....

No, we really don't.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed