Bradford Exchange Alien Merchandise

Started by Darkness, Sep 29, 2017, 09:34:13 AM

Author
Bradford Exchange Alien Merchandise (Read 13,014 times)

dHunter333

I'm in the us and I got my preparing to ship notification last night, I ordered two of these, I chose to pay in installments meaning two payments, they charge me for the first payment and are now shipping my items
Very odd and trusting business model

Xenomrph

Quote from: dHunter333 on Dec 04, 2017, 01:41:11 PM
I'm in the us and I got my preparing to ship notification last night, I ordered two of these, I chose to pay in installments meaning two payments, they charge me for the first payment and are now shipping my items
Very odd and trusting business model
To be fair they have your payment info and address - if your payment gets declined and you don't respond to their requests for a new payment method, they could send your bill to a collection agency and have a field-day with your credit score.

dHunter333

Mine now has active tracking information and is scheduled to arrive this Saturday
Of course, they used FedEx smart post and it originated in Illinois and I live in Indiana, but of course it is now in Wisconsin for some reason

Xenomrph

I've got tracking info for mine as well, should be here on Monday.

It looks like they're doing a whole "collection" of these floating specimen sculptures, they've got a facehugger and chestburster in the pipeline, with others to be announced.

dHunter333

i'm buying these to display with my neca figures
will probably pass on the face hugger and chestburster as i imagine they will be far too large to fit in scale wise with neca figures
mine has just been bumped up to arriving tomorrow!

Xenomrph

Quote from: dHunter333 on Dec 07, 2017, 09:15:00 PM
i'm buying these to display with my neca figures
will probably pass on the face hugger and chestburster as i imagine they will be far too large to fit in scale wise with neca figures
mine has just been bumped up to arriving tomorrow!

The Alien specimen one is likely too small to fit in scale-wise, since it's 8" tall including the specimen tube. NECA Aliens tend to be 8" tall just by themselves.

dHunter333

dHunter333

yeah...i hope i'm not disappointed
i have set aside space in my weyland yutani shelf for the specimen
i had to increase to 2 WY shelves to accommodate it

looking at the item, i imagine i'll lose 1 inch on top and the bottom (of the size of the alien)
it is also curled up
so i'm imaging it'll be about a 6.5 inch scale alien?

it might be WY genetically engineering an alien who knows
its gonna look really cool though!

Xenomrph

I'm confident you could use it for photos and dioramas through some forced-perspective magic, and the scale issue is likely less noticeable if you use it as a backdrop with Aliens in the foreground, or vice-versa.

Blood Warrior

Please post some pictures when you can.  I was looking at these and thinking about getting them. 

dHunter333

dHunter333

i got mine and the actual xeno is smaller than i imagined it
besides that, it is great!
i love it!
love the way the canister looks, the alien looks to be dead or in stasis
i do not believe it is actually in water...not one air bubble, nothing
ended up having to give WY 3 shelves!
here is my WY base
the AI center i guess...various david's and vickers

charles weyland thanking burke for obtaining his specimens

various specimens

for scale purposes

i finally have the specimen

i think it looked better in the promo pics

Sabres21768

Took some quick pics of this. Not as big as I was hoping.

RidgeTop

I'm starting to see a pattern here with The Bradford Exchange where their products upon receival don't look as good as the images they use to promote them. I've found it fishy that they only show photoshopped renders of what they sell rather than actual photos.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: RidgeTop on Dec 11, 2017, 02:21:28 AM
I'm starting to see a pattern here with The Bradford Exchange where their products upon receival don't look as good as the images they use to promote them. I've found it fishy that they only show photoshopped renders of what they sell rather than actual photos.
It's fairly common for manufacturers to do that. As a Transformers collector, you quickly learn that Hasbro's product shots are often photoshopped or mis-transformed.

Shit, even NECA's prototype photos look very different (and often better) than the final product.

To be clear I'm not condoning such a practice, I'm more of saying "there's nothing you can do about it, be an aware consumer". Often times that means letting someone else be the guinea pig and buy an item first, so you can find out what it's really like.

Either way my sculpture will be here tomorrow and I'm still looking forward to it. ;D

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2017, 03:20:41 AM
Either way my sculpture will be here tomorrow and I'm still looking forward to it. ;D

It still looks cool and I hope you enjoy it, I'm just not sure if they're selling it at a fair asking price given the difference between the prototype render and how the product actually looks.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 11, 2017, 03:20:41 AM
It's fairly common for manufacturers to do that. As a Transformers collector, you quickly learn that Hasbro's product shots are often photoshopped or mis-transformed.

It may be common but it's a sleazy practice that should be called out, especially when the differences are this severe.

Xenomrph

I got mine in the mail, and so far I like it! I need to pick up more batteries so I can light it up, I thought I had enough kicking around and I'm one short. :(

The sculpture has significant heft to it, it doesn't feel cheaply made in the slightest. The Alien inside isn't as detailed as the prototype photos but I think it still looks good, and definitely not so different from the prototype that I feel misled or ripped off. I'd say my expectations of what the final product would look like have been met.
The Alien isn't minuscule, but it's not NECA-scale either. It's bigger than the Hiya Toys 3.75" Alien Warrior, although it looks a little smaller than it truly is because the Alien is partially curled up in the tube. If the Hiya Toys Alien is 1/18 scale and NECA Aliens are roughly 1/12 scale, I'd say the sculpture is maybe 1/15 or 1/16 scale.

One of the big draws that made me interested in this sculpture, aside from the concept being really unique and novel, is it reminds me of the imagery of the Aliens in stasis tubes from the 'Aliens: Nightmare Asylum'comic series.

I'll post some pics after I get batteries in it and can properly light it up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed