When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel?

Started by Daszkowski, Sep 17, 2017, 10:46:53 PM

Author
When can we expect news about Alien: Covenant sequel? (Read 73,572 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 19, 2017, 04:34:05 AM
Ridley Scott isn't good at telling epics.  Alien worked because he had a handful of characters in a small setting.  The movies that he has done that are bigger in scope are never that good.

Both Gladiator and Kingdom of Heaven (Director's Cut) were great epics. Blade Runner was also a lot bigger in scope than Alien.

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Sep 19, 2017, 04:56:02 AM
Blomkamp is a bit like Del Toro, they're both decent directors with a proper vision but they're only as good as the script.

Exactly the same goes for Scott.

Ash 937

Heaven and Blade Runner were only good after Scott made director's cuts.  Those films weren't good before that.

Darth Vile

Blade Runner was ALWAYS a brilliant piece of cinema. The directors cut improves it, but it doesn't make it a different film.

SM

The unicorn thing makes it fairly different.

BishopShouldGo

http://variety.com/2017/film/features/stacey-snider-21st-century-fox-first-year-1202563799/

"Alien: Covenant" stumbled at the box office. Is that franchise over?
It was a disappointment, but I trust Ridley [Scott] and Emma [Watts] to know the right story when they find it. When universes are as rich as "Alien," they can stay in a too familiar groove — in which case you're in trouble — but they can also find a planet or a storyline or a villain that also lives in that universe that can be groundbreaking.

Kane's other son

So, there will eventually be a sequel, Scott is still on board, and they seem to have learned their lesson from trying to tie Covenant closer to the original Alien, rather than Prometheus. Encouraging quote.

Evanus

Eh I'll believe it when I see it. I think we're still gonna have to wait a looong time.

Anthony

I do believe The Cartel will be the film Ridley Scott will be filming (and maybe releases) next year for Fox. But it is possible that Awakening (or what ever it ends up being called) could be in our near future. You never know with Hollywood. There are films that get stuck in development hell for years that manage to make it out, and there are films that are weeks or days away from shooting with a full cast that get the plug pulled at the last minute. Nothing is ever a sure thing.

Also, if we're talking directors, we don't have to be limited to Scott or Blomkamp. Fede Alvarez and Alex Garland come to mind as possible directors I'd like to see take a stab at Alien.

FiorinaFury161

I continue to think there will be at least one more movie to conclude David's story within the next four years. After that, it remains very bleak.

BishopShouldGo

The next movie will be a Ripley movie. Mark my words. Jamie Lee Curtis and Linda Hamilton are back. She's next.

0321recon

0321recon

From what I read they still trust Scott and co with the franchise, I'm all ok with since it was Fox who messed up here. They acknowledge it wasn't the story they should had gone with. Like no s#$%. They should had let Scott do his true Prometheus 2 were Shaw and David search for the engineers and the horrors they encounter while concurrently Blomkamp doing his Alien 3 to build up the universe.

I hope with this, they let Scott do his Promethean universe building while someone else or Blomkamp finally does his Alien 3 with Weaver and Co. since Jamie Lee and Linda are coming back to reboot their franchises. 

Nope

If Stacey Snider trusts Ridley and Emma to find the best story, then the 7th bad (or unsatisfying) alien movie in a row is just about to happen...

Ingwar

Quote"Alien: Covenant" stumbled at the box office. Is that franchise over?

It was a disappointment, but I trust Ridley [Scott] and Emma [Watts] to know the right story when they find it. When universes are as rich as "Alien," they can stay in a too familiar groove — in which case you're in trouble — but they can also find a planet or a storyline or a villain that also lives in that universe that can be groundbreaking.

What a bollocks! If Fox did trust Scott then they should have let him do what he wanted. As Scott said: the beast is cooked ... and then we got Xenomorphs in A:C. Wonder what (or actually who) changed his mind? :)

XENOMORPHOSIS

Hmm this is concerning, has anyone notices how the Original Alien is treated like Artsy Thriller and Aliens is a pulp Action film and the subsequent movies would reflect this to a degree.

Alien 3, AVP and Promethues for all their strengths and weakness pursued being of some substance and profound concept.

Wheras Alien Resurrection, AVP R and Alien Covenant fall more into schlocky pulp Action, and that after each film there's a far absence of Alien films for a while. Maybe that's just one way of reading it.

bleau

QuoteWhen universes are as rich as "Alien," they can stay in a too familiar groove — in which case you're in trouble 

Are they (Fox) acknowledging that making covenant full of Aliens was a bad idea? That's how I took it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed