Will you feel cheated if Ridley reverses himself again...

Started by Local Trouble, Sep 17, 2017, 10:26:07 PM

Disappointed?  Cheated?  Betrayed?

Yes
No
Don't care either way
Other (see my reply)
Author
Will you feel cheated if Ridley reverses himself again... (Read 4,845 times)

Highland

Nobody bitched about Prometheus having no Aliens.

bleau

QuoteNobody bitched about Prometheus having no Aliens.

Ridley Scott would beg to differ.

"They want f***ing aliens, I'll give'em f***ing aliens." LOL

https://io9.gizmodo.com/ridley-scott-admits-fan-backlash-over-prometheus-influe-1795126523

Biomechanoid

Quote from: bleau on Sep 21, 2017, 10:56:39 AM
If your offended, I' apologize, and any one else.

I can only speak for myself. No apology necessary, I took no offense in your comment. I understood it as a generalization.

Anyway, back on topic, I don't harbor the negative view on Scott's Prometheus/Covenant direction as some here do. They can never recapture the lightning of Alien 79.  That was a unique star we watched explode. A rare occurrence.

A Grand Slam of Timing that was everything:  an otherwise average screenwriter (imo) happened to create a great screenplay, a young talented director on the tail end of an era when studios allowed directors to take risks, no video game/internet/multimedia saturation, and audience desire was at its peak for sci-fi.

The last factor I mention above played a huge role. Reading a John Carpenter interview awhile back on his thoughts of The Thing's disappointment at the box office. Recalling his quote from memory, so not accurate word for word, "A couple weeks before The Thing was about to be released, the studio mailed me a market research they had done. The results showed that audience desire for sci-fi has dropped by 70%."

My point is, when a new alien film is released, I don't expect a grand slam. I have done replays of every alien movie as I suspect many here have also. Now, a big part of why I do so many replays is because I'm not a gamer and have no interest in comic books or novelization. So it''s mainly cinema that I turn to for a xeno fix.

BigDaddyJohn

I think i don't really care anymore, he can do whatever he wants (he already did anyway).

Highland

Quote from: bleau on Sep 21, 2017, 01:37:22 PM

https://io9.gizmodo.com/ridley-scott-admits-fan-backlash-over-prometheus-influe-1795126523

I'm unsure if he meant the studio or the audience here. I don't think the problem with Prom was the Alien or lack of, having no form of creature outside of the snake, zombie and Engineer was perhaps a touch too much. The Neomorph worked perfectly for Covenant and I think it would have worked for Prometheus too.

Scorpio

Prometheus did not need aliens.

The alien in Covenant is fan service, but fan service is not the point of the movie, unlike AVPR/Aliens 2.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: bleau on Sep 21, 2017, 01:37:22 PM

Typical brash, out of touch Ridley.

"They want that jack in the box stuff. Like Brett and Dallas. So instead of subverting expectations I'll just have the Alien stalk and kill in predictable, time wasting scenes with upworth, ricks and rosenthal

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: PsyKore on Sep 18, 2017, 08:25:30 AM
People will complain regardless what happens. I'd just rather Ridley finish what he's doing.

I agree with PsyKore. If I felt cheated by Covenant, its because I followed it's development and got the impression Ridley intended Covenant and the creation of the Alien/Big Chap-style was meant to be the ending of these prequels IE; Covenant is meant to be Prometheus 3 and instead its this adjuncated mixture of what should have been 2 movies.

I always thought the idea that one sequel cant be redeemed by another is quite rubbish, right? Its like the desire to stunt the continuation of something is just making something that hasnt happened yet, suffer in response to our displeasure for something that did. Any direction that hasn't happened yet can be just as bad or worse than what's happened before, right? So, it doesnt make much sense to me to say that a sequel to Covenant shouldn't happen.

What bothers me is when they don't finish a story they've started and move forward. I even feel cheated by A:R, not leading to Alien 5. Sure A:R was garbage but you could redeem it with a great Alien 5. I feel the same way about this and Covenant and Prometheus are both are kinda great movies, IMO. To quote Cameron, "Maybe they arent the movies I'd personally make, but you could say that about anything."

I applaud the transition from A:R to Prometheus, since Prometheus doesnt completely ignore the themes added to the series by Resurrection. I love that about this franchise, every film seems to include all the elements which came before it. A good witer could easilybelieve I could write a sequel to COVENANT and the Alien franchise that includes David and Ripley at once without ever even mentioning whether its a sequel to Aliens or A:R.

What makes me feel cheated is when the studio doesn't trust the filmmakers and tries to manufacture a bit too much; when it becomes more about "making a good soup" that includes all the ingredients we've come to expect, and those ingredients become more important than telling a good story. I know with a franchise like this, its inevitable that some of that will happen, sure. That's why I'm impressed Ridley was able to do so much that he wanted to do, within that framework in his prequels.

PierreVW

No.

Ridley Scott is pragmatic so I'm 90% sure he is going to be reversing himself again.

He is going to be making something similar to Aliens(J.C.). Aliens 2 directed by Ridley Scott.

Scorpio

He did say in the Empire podcast that the next one will be in a colony.

Corporal Hicks

I guess it depends on what he means by his War of the Worlds comparisons. That could seem to mean a bigger scale type conflict.

Baron Von Marlon

If it's the last one in the series, I think Ridley will pull out all stops.
A 2-3 hour long grand finale could be sweet. And a longer length could provide the occasion to incorporate the right dose of Alien, Aliens and Prometheus.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 02, 2017, 08:11:22 AM
I guess it depends on what he means by his War of the Worlds comparisons. That could seem to mean a bigger scale type conflict.
Don't have the source, but there was mention of 4 parties being involved in the next movie. Does fit in with a bigger scale type conflict.
David, Engineers, colonists and a new Weyland-Yutani crew is my guess.

Paranoid Android

Considering the response to Covenant, I'd be very surprised if anyone gives Scott the budget to do anything grand or 3 hours long, assuming there will even be a sequel.

Highland

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Oct 02, 2017, 08:53:36 AM
Considering the response to Covenant, I'd be very surprised if anyone gives Scott the budget to do anything grand or 3 hours long, assuming there will even be a sequel.

Agree, we can also pretty much take whatever Scott says in interviews with a pinch of salt. The editing in Covenant is pretty bad, no doubt to get it in under the 2 hours. Budget wise, I doubt he's getting more.

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Oct 02, 2017, 08:11:22 AM

Ive been thinking about his comments regarding this scenario, it's not really achievable within the Prequel timeline, is it? It sorta implies it would have to happen after the events in Alien 3, at least, no?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed